Med School + Life = Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Husky85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm entering M1 in August and up until now I have managed to keep having fun and do things that I enjoy just by managing my time well and by doing fun things that allow study time (like camping and road trips). I know that med school will be much more demanding, but will I still be able to find time to go camping once a month or to play sports like I'm used to...or it there no way to keep med school from dominating your life?

As of now, I'm single and don't have any plans of changing that...so will that factor help matters?

I am curious to hear how you folks who have been through some of it feel you fared.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1st year I had a lot more free time, but I think I just wasted it by watching tv. Though I did take some afternoons off to go snowboarding.

2nd year, I went on a road trip over Thanksgiving (Denver for snowboarding) -- did no studying during it, and started doing more out door stuff biking, tennis, etc. I'd say 2nd year was a lot more fun for me, even though I basically burnt out twice from studying all the time. Studying for boards was one of the most fun times I had (not the actual studying, but goofing off with friends and such during that time).

It is possible to have a life, just have good time management. =)

Edit: Side note -- most big things were saved for the post-exam weekend.

I think that keeping some sort of a normal social life is one of the keys to success in med school. How you'll arrange this will depend on which med school you attend, but I think it's possible (and necessary) everywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.

During my first 2 years I went clubbing in L.A. and O.C. almost every thurs-sat. Mainly cuz my school only had 2 hours of lecture a day.

3rd year depending on the rotation, no for the most part, and yes for the easier 9-5, mon-fri outpatient stuff.

Hi All,

I'm entering M1 in August and up until now I have managed to keep having fun and do things that I enjoy just by managing my time well and by doing fun things that allow study time (like camping and road trips). I know that med school will be much more demanding, but will I still be able to find time to go camping once a month or to play sports like I'm used to...or it there no way to keep med school from dominating your life?

As of now, I'm single and don't have any plans of changing that...so will that factor help matters?

I am curious to hear how you folks who have been through some of it feel you fared.

Thanks!

i ran this equation thru my computer multiple times and it keeps coming back FALSE. check your logic and try again. :(

It is entirely possible to have a social life during the first two years. I cannot speak as to the second two, as I haven't started those just yet. You need something outside of school to do, or you'll burn yourself out quickly. Just make sure to keep it balanced, and if you notice a decline in academic performance, scale back the recreation a bit (duh).

Its all about balance. If you dont have a personal life your grades (and sanity) will suffer. You have to find a balance between your schoolwork and your social life, its not that hard.

try to make sure you take some time to yourself every day (well unless you have a test the next day). Go for a walk, get yourself to the gym (no seriously, make sure you keep healthy during school), play some X-box, spend time with your SO/kids (if you've got them), it's the only way, I think, to survive.

I agree with the above posters. There is time for things outside of studying. I find that the breaks I take help me to focus when I am studying. Just so you are not mislead by the answers to this thread, you will not have time to do lots of different things like undergrad (at least I haven't). You will have to be a bit more selective about what you choose to do. I had a girlfriend when I started med school so to spend time with her I had to skip some social events.

Its only Possible,, if u Manage yr TIme Carefully, i have this system that has been working for me ;)
well when there is an upcoming even,, eg concert or watever i study Ahead ( trying to make up for the Time Loss) and i also GO out once a Week " Its allways Gr8 to See New Face and go to new places)

My upped bottomline is: No, it's not possible.

Example..
I've taken Gastrology a week ago and before I did, I had to isolate myself for one whole month during which I studied no less than 12 hours a day.
For me, being able to do that required deprivation from TV, any form of social life, internet and most sadly video gaming.
You may think that I don't manage my time well. Right I don't, because I studied a 9-week subject in only 4 weeks, but had fun lazying in the first five. But hey, there are worse studious geeks than me.

Its only Possible,, if u Manage yr TIme Carefully, i have this system that has been working for me ;)
well when there is an upcoming even,, eg concert or watever i study Ahead ( trying to make up for the Time Loss) and i also GO out once a Week " Its allways Gr8 to See New Face and go to new places)

You better hope Carbon doesn't read this post.

No, it's not possible.

Aures said:
because I studied a 9-week subject in only 4 weeks, but had fun lazying in the first five.

headache.png

Members don't see this ad :)
it can be done -- it depends on a number of things including what your life is like to begin with (e.g. wife and kids). it also depends on what 'having a life' is for you personally. beyond that, it depends on your goals for medical school. and, above all, perhaps, there is some element of natural ability. a rare few have simply to show up for the exam to claim their god-given right to AOA; i'm not one of these.

i'd recommend starting cautiously. the first semester was the most difficult for me, not only in the respect that there was some adjustment to the new place, new people, everything else, but also that i found gross anatomy egregiously difficult. the spring was great, one of the best times of my life, but my grades suffered for it.

bottom line is: try to be happy and enjoy life, but be careful that you don't close doors for yourself down the road by not working hard when it matters. don't go out "thurs-sat every week" until/unless you're sure you know what you're doing.

You're right, GunShot.
My post needs an edit. :p

years 1, 2 & 4 absolutely ... year 3, intermittently (not so much during med, surg & ob)

Its all about balance. If you dont have a personal life your grades (and sanity) will suffer. You have to find a balance between your schoolwork and your social life, its not that hard.

"I would have to disagree. Just because it looks like fun to hijack other people's threads I am going to start hijacking and arguing and contradicting everything this ******ed individual has got to say because in reality he has nothing better to do but to snoop on other's people's buisness which doesn't concern him. I will yap, yap, yap,yap,yap,yap, like the stupid Newwww Yokkkkkkerrrr that I am. Just because it is in my nature to annoy the rest of the country and for that matter the rest of the world...hence the war. yap,yap,yap,yap, yap, yap,yap,yap,yap. I'm going to go to every foreign school for every foreign degree because I have the rest of my life to do nothing but, yap, yap, yap, yap, yap, yap, because I'm a nwww yokkkker and I tell the rest of the world what to do. yap,yap,yap,yap,yap,yap,yap.
"I would have to disagree. Just because it looks like fun to hijack other people's threads I am going to start hijacking and arguing and contradicting everything this ******ed individual has got to say because in reality he has nothing better to do but to snoop on other's people's buisness which doesn't concern him. I will yap, yap, yap,yap,yap,yap, like the stupid Newwww Yokkkkkkerrrr that I am. Just because it is in my nature to annoy the rest of the country and for that matter the rest of the world...hence the war. yap,yap,yap,yap, yap, yap,yap,yap,yap. I'm going to go to every foreign school for every foreign degree because I have the rest of my life to do nothing but, yap, yap, yap, yap, yap, yap, because I'm a nwww yokkkker and I tell the rest of the world what to do. yap,yap,yap,yap,yap,yap,yap.
I whole hardedly disagree just to make myself feel more superior and more important than you" - "dr" who

I whole hardedly disagree just to make myself feel more superior and more important than you" - "dr" who

Somebody's going to get banned.

The point of this post is???? Sorry to say, but it doesn't show drwho in a bad light, but yourself.

Heh, the mods deleted my post! (and a few others)
Guess it's because I quoted the crazy post :laugh:

:confused: Huh? Did I totally miss something, or is this completely non-sequitor? As a nwww yokkker myself, this guy is a d!ck. Yap, yap, yap...:mad:

I have reported this person to the moderator and the administration. His account was "put on hold" whatever that might mean. Seems he has since decided to log on under a different name to continue this on other threads.
I would recommend to ignore this person as he (or she) is just looking for attention.

I have reported this person to the moderator and the administration. His account was "put on hold" whatever that might mean. Seems he has since decided to log on under a different name to continue this on other threads.
I would recommend to ignore this person as he (or she) is just looking for attention.

You have been doing it to me for 2 years "dr" "genious" how do you like it done to you????

“dr” who again?
I ask that you take what this person has to say with a HUGE grain of salt.
This person has a history of saying some pretty nasty things that not only offends, but flies in the face of reality. The things he has written are truly repulsive and not true. I try to ignore him as just another troll, but the posts are just too vile and repulsive to ignore.

I ask you to do a search on this person's previous posts to get an idea of what I mean. Some of the things this person has said are so plain stupid that I have a very hard time believing. It’s almost as if he lives in a fantasy of what he thinks things are like and repeats it over and over until he believes it.

I, and others have answered his posts before. If one tenth of the things he claims are true, do a search and you will find many ACTUAL students who posted.. Don’t feed this troll any longer. I have been a member of SDN since 2005 and I believe in what it stands for. Please use your common sense and judgment when taking advice from certain individuals like him in these forums.

She had the audacity to make some claims that were so ridiculous that ignorance was to nice a word to describe them. I backed my statements with bonafide information, not some obscure website like she did on occasion. If you want to laugh (or cry) some more, do a search on “dr” who and see for yourself that this is something that happens regularly.

I, and others agree that this person has the luck to go back to his native city where it is common to find unlicensed doctors practicing freely on unsuspecting patients. The things he plans to do are repulsive and the state should and does crack down on the hundreds of thousands of unlicensed doctors who go back to the city and practice without a license. I will personally contact the authorities to crack down on these “doctors” and start an investigation. I who have knowledge of the locations where these “doctors” practice without a license (since I graduated from a school of the same location myself, I know where my classmates practice unlicensed) will tell authorities of all the locations where they are to be found. …. getting stalked for years like you have with me.

Sucks doesn't it??? STAY OUT OF MY FORUMS AND MY PROFESSION AND MAYBE IF I FEEL LIKE IT, I'LL GIVE YOU SOME SLACK FREAK!!!!

You have been doing it to me for 2 years "dr" "genious" how do you like it done to you????

“dr” who again?
I ask that you take what this person has to say with a HUGE grain of salt.
This person has a history of saying some pretty nasty things that not only offends, but flies in the face of reality. The things he has written are truly repulsive and not true. I try to ignore him as just another troll, but the posts are just too vile and repulsive to ignore.

I ask you to do a search on this person's previous posts to get an idea of what I mean. Some of the things this person has said are so plain stupid that I have a very hard time believing. It’s almost as if he lives in a fantasy of what he thinks things are like and repeats it over and over until he believes it.

I, and others have answered his posts before. If one tenth of the things he claims are true, do a search and you will find many ACTUAL students who posted.. Don’t feed this troll any longer. I have been a member of SDN since 2005 and I believe in what it stands for. Please use your common sense and judgment when taking advice from certain individuals like him in these forums.

She had the audacity to make some claims that were so ridiculous that ignorance was to nice a word to describe them. I backed my statements with bonafide information, not some obscure website like she did on occasion. If you want to laugh (or cry) some more, do a search on “dr” who and see for yourself that this is something that happens regularly.

I, and others agree that this person has the luck to go back to his native city where it is common to find unlicensed doctors practicing freely on unsuspecting patients. The things he plans to do are repulsive and the state should and does crack down on the hundreds of thousands of unlicensed doctors who go back to the city and practice without a license. I will personally contact the authorities to crack down on these “doctors” and start an investigation. I who have knowledge of the locations where these “doctors” practice without a license (since I graduated from a school of the same location myself, I know where my classmates practice unlicensed) will tell authorities of all the locations where they are to be found. …. getting stalked for years like you have with me.

As someone said in a military post earlier this week....

Dr. Who must have "peed in that guy's cornflakes"

Or the other way around

This thread sure did get strange in a hurry.

As someone said in a military post earlier this week....

Dr. Who must have "peed in that guy's cornflakes"

Or the other way around

I guess something I said really pissed him off. :laugh:

Congrats on the total thread hijack! I haven't seen such a total 180 turn in quite some time. Commendable! ;)

Heh, I dunno the history between Maddi and Dr. Who, but Maddi-you do realize that running around trashing NYC people and pasting the same nonsense over and over just makes people side with dr who, right?

Give me my thread back!!! :hijacked:

If you guys have personal beef with each other, why not settle it with PM's or just ignore each other? :idea:

Single person in med school? TONS of time. I wasn't single as a first year and even then, by not going to class, I had time to do whatever I wanted. Of course that wasnt the case the weekend before a big test, but otherwise life was nice. Thats not the case for everyone, but if you manage time well it could be for you.

what the hell's going on?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm sitting here miserable with some sort of sinus affliction, trying to keep my mind off it and your post seriously made me laugh (audibly). Thanks. :D