Possible dismissal after being neglected by my school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Currently going through one of the worst times of my life. I currently go to what I believe is a lower-tiered school (ton of issues i will bring up). I'm supposed to be in year 2 of school but I received my dismissal letter on monday. Already sent in my appeal letter and waiting for a date for the hearing.

Back story was that I am attending a school that says they are an english school but they are not. Most of my classes have all been in another language and sometimes the material is too. I am bilingual but it takes me longer to process science in another language. Since starting school, all i've dealt with is personal and school issues. My grandmother passed away shortly before starting (that took a major toll on me) then within a few weeks, a childhood friend of mine passed away in a freak boating accident. then a hurricane hit the island. i was living in my apt with no electricity and running water. I would go to school to study till they kick us out bc the generators would stop. So as you can see, less than optimal studying conditions. I ended up not passing biochem that semester because my first exam grade was horrible since i was going through the hurricane. I missed passing by like 1%. The hurricane changed our schedule and it was actually abuse how tightly packed it became. I had to deal with horrible living conditions in my apartment since my landlord would rarely answer.

I worked my ass off the next semester to pass all my classes except micro. By the time the final exam came 70 ppl in micro were failing. (idk how you see that but that doesn't look good at all for the school). they changed some grades around randomly and i missed passing that course by 1%. (that department really hates us cause we would complain a lot) I remediated both classes over the summer. I don't think the departments spoke with each other because we legit had exams every 3 days and i would have to miss class for one because of exams. I worked my ass off again to pass the classes. i even email the micro because no one was passing the retake class. But sadly i fell short in biochem and didn't pass by 3%. I legit would lock myself up in my room/house and study for hours, there would be days that I wouldn't even step outside this past summer. Rumor has it that only 2 people who retoke this course passed.

When i tell you my mental health has gone to **** because of what has happened to me. I would email professors and guidance counselors. I sometimes would never get a response or get rude emails back. I got discriminated by a proctor twice because of my speech impediment. She said i would scare my patients away. I went and spoke w the head of the department about it. My school offered me blueprint for tutoring, my tutor ghosted me and i emailed about it and no one answered.

My school does not post their step scores and right now rumor has it that 78% of the MS3 have not taken their steps or took it and failed. So idk if im being iced out because i struggled in 1 class. but i find it so unfair how i'm being treated.

So i am appealing my decision and creating a ppt to present the committee with an action plan. I hope they will allow me to take a LOA and remediate the course. Idk what is happening and i hate being left in the dark. I emailed the secretary of student affairs multiple times to ask for a meeting with a committee before the decision and would never receive a response.

Medicine is my passion, i have always dreamed of being a doctor. i started shadowing in high school because of how invested i am. I know it isn't the end of the world but I feel like i'm going to let myself down and feel embarrassed to return home and have to tell all the doctors i worked for what happened. Like i know the material, i just have horrible testing anxiety.

Anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
Is this a Carribean MD school or a Puerto-rican school?

LCME accredited schools are required to follow policies set forth in the Student Handbook.
You have both rights and responsibilities therein.
Take a careful look at the Handbook to see that you are following requirements and just as important, that the school is.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Sad
  • Care
I'm sorry for your losses and for your troubles with your school. It sounds like you have been through a lot and really gave it your all to try to pass your classes. Unfortunately it's up to your school to let you continue or to dismiss you. If you get the chance for a meeting to talk about your action plan, maybe tell them you will plan to meet with you micro/biochem professors each week to make sure you understand the content presented for that week. You have to be honest with yourself and try to understand what caused you to fail in the first place. Was it life stressors or testing anxiety or is there something fundamentally wrong with your study habits/technique? Once you figure that out, you can come up with a plan going forward.

If you do end up getting dismissed from school. maybe it would be a blessing in disguise. It sounds like you feel your school doesn't support you, there is a language barrier impeding your learning, and you are struggling personally. Medical school/residency only gets harder the farther you go. If you do end up getting dismissed, it won't be the end of the world. It's possible you can matriculate to a different medical school, maybe where there is not a language barrier. It will take a lot of effort to do this, but it's possible (recommend going to US MD or US DO school vs Caribbean or other non-US school). There are also other routes to working in medicine such as Physician's Assistant, Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Respiratory Therapist, Anesthesiologist Assistant, Physical/Occupational Therapy, and Social Work. All are great careers and would let you work with patients.

I know you might feel embarrassed, but it's your life. If those doctors you work for make you feel less than for leaving medical school then they are just crappy people. If you ever feel like giving up on life, please talk to someone first, family/friend/therapist/crisis line. The most important thing for you to do is take care of yourself and to try not to be too hard on yourself.

• Care