med school or dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nateriver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how to decide between the two, pros cons of both?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a ton of threads on here regarding that question. Make your own list first (the professions can be quite different) and go on from there.

alright, I'm just trying to get ppls opinions though on what they think, personally i think dental is more than likely the route ill go because of lifestyle, pressure, impact on lives, and work life balance , but i want others input as well

do you love science so much that you will become hospital slave for it?

i love science and understanding / figuring things out, but the idea of slaving through residency for 42000 is not appealing to me, but at the same time i don't wanna finish 4 years of dental school to then realize i should have gone to med school and become a physician as opposed to a dentist

Do what U think is right. A forum answer to an extremely open ended question shouldn't matter.

lol both, thats an interesting third option, i mean just what do ppl feel are the pros and cons of both....
why did u choose what u did
etc...

fair enough, i do wanna have a family one day, which is a major reason to choose dental, and the whole not needing to do residency thing is pretty sweet, and i mean whats better than giving people a nice smile

shadow both professions and go from there.

if you're thinking that you're going to go into dentistry for the $$, keep in mind that most schools will have you paying about 100k a year.

Practically everyone in my family is a physician. My dad is a family practitioner, my mom is in ER, and my sister is in heme path. My aunt is a dentist though. Guess which one never says anything bad about what they do... :)

Reactions: 1 user
What helped me to decide was that I could see myself in GP dentistry but not in GP medicine. That and there were just too many things about medicine that I wouldn't really want to go through during rotations and whatnot.

Reactions: 1 user
Getting other peoples opinion wont help you. Shadowing/researching the two completely different professions will. It is how you perceive it. Just because someone likes medical doesnt mean the other people likes medical. At this point, you are asking a question only you can answer. No one else.

why-not-both.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
What helped me to decide was that I could see myself in GP dentistry but not in GP medicine. That and there were just too many things about medicine that I wouldn't really want to go through during rotations and whatnot.
i agree with the gp aspect,if i did dental and ended up a gp id be fine, med id only be okay with like 2 or 3 available residencies and they aren't the easiest to match, optho, neurosurgery, etc

i agree with the gp aspect,if i did dental and ended up a gp id be fine, med id only be okay with like 2 or 3 available residencies and they aren't the easiest to match, optho, neurosurgery, etc
i don't want my neurosurgeon to be this indecisive. i know of two neurosurgeons and they do not come off as people who once considered pharmacy or dentistry if you know what I mean. they've been aggressively gunnin' for medicine/neurosurgery at an early age and had the accomplishments to substantiate it.

it's possible that the only reason you want dentistry is for the lifestyle and end up not getting that lifestyle because you end up at one of a multitude of expensive private schools.

Last edited:
i don't want my neurosurgeon to be this indecisive. i know of two neurosurgeons and they do not come off as people who once considered pharmacy or dentistry if you know what I mean. they've been aggressively gunnin' for medicine/neurosurgery at an early age and had the accomplishments to substantiate it.

it's possible that the only reason you want dentistry is for the lifestyle and end up not getting that lifestyle because you end up at one of a multitude of expensive private schools.
thats not the only reason i want dentistry, I've always liked fixing things and understanding how things work, the dentist i shadowed had mentioned to me that if i like working with my hands ill like dental, and yes i agree, I've always been on the fence, and neurosurgery is a major commitment beyond many other residencies, its like joining the armed forces you must be 100 percent dedicated and know what you want, as well as be prepared for that to be your entire life, while i do look forward to enjoying my work and being there a lot, i do want to have a life with my family and friends , yes, i admit that, but thats not the only reason i like dental, its interesting, and its a good combo between surgical procedures and diagnosis.....

thats not the only reason i want dentistry, I've always liked fixing things and understanding how things work, the dentist i shadowed had mentioned to me that if i like working with my hands ill like dental, and yes i agree, I've always been on the fence, and neurosurgery is a major commitment beyond many other residencies, its like joining the armed forces you must be 100 percent dedicated and know what you want, as well as be prepared for that to be your entire life, while i do look forward to enjoying my work and being there a lot, i do want to have a life with my family and friends , yes, i admit that, but thats not the only reason i like dental, its interesting, and its a good combo between surgical procedures and diagnosis.....

Like @sgv said, I know quite a few neurosurgeons and none of them have ever done anything else that does not directly benefit in them becoming a neurosurgeon. One of them said (the one that actually says anything) "neurosurgery isn't a profession, it's a lifestyle." and I believe him. You'll know it if you want to do neurosurgery, and when you do, it's the only thing you'll want to do.

screw family

jk

but not really