Med-School pre-req question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stalebi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Med schools require orgo lab. My question is do I have to take orgo lab before I apply, or can I take it my senior year after I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Med schools require orgo lab. My question is do I have to take orgo lab before I apply, or can I take it my senior year after I apply?

pretty sure most schools just require you have it done by matriculation. i havent looked at every single med school though, so maybe there is an exception

thats what I heard to but im just making sure.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
pretty sure most schools just require you have it done by matriculation.

This was true for the places I visited too. I took organic lab during my final semester of undergrad before completing my degree.

This was true for the places I visited too. I took organic lab during my final semester of undergrad before completing my degree.

Do you know if only one semester of orgo lab is enough? I know med schools vary etc. but do most premeds only take one semester of orgo lab or the full year (two semesters/ three quarters)?

i did the first semester already and i'm signed up to take the second semester this spring ... but if it's not required them i'm going to drop it fo sho.

I only took one semester of orgo lab and didn't have any issues...

I had to take 2 semesters of orgo lab because it was required for my undergrad degree plan..

and it depends on the school......at the schools I interviewed at (only 2) they required one year of lecture and lab.

and I had a friend that only took one semester of orgo lab.. and she graduated early with a nursing degree. She got accepted to Med School and she had to come back and take one more semester of orgo lab to satisfy the school's requirements.

Do you know if only one semester of orgo lab is enough? I know med schools vary etc. but do most premeds only take one semester of orgo lab or the full year (two semesters/ three quarters)?

i did the first semester already and i'm signed up to take the second semester this spring ... but if it's not required them i'm going to drop it fo sho.

my school is lame. if a class has a lab, you dont have a choice but to take it. When you sign up for orgo, physics, bio etc. you have to take the lab no matter what. even worse. you dont get any credit for the lab. The classes are worth 4 units and the labs 0. i didnt even know that schools offered it differently until i took physics at a state school over the summer and i was given a credit for the lab. i also noticed that people in the lab werent in the lecture....it blew my mind! haha. damn liberal arts colleges.

back to your question..... i dont know why a med school would only require one semester/quarter of lab. i'd imagine that if a lab is required for ochem I its required for ochem 2....and if it does differ you'll just have to check each school independent of the next