Med school pre-reqs vs Pharm school pre-reqs?

Started by amd123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

amd123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At this point with my current financial and school situation, I'm currently a Pre-Pharm student at a community college. I know that the pre-reqs for pharamcy schools are quite varied depending on the school one applies to.

For most schools in the state of pennsylvania, I need to take:
Bio 1
Bio 2
Gen Chem 1
Gen Chem 2
Organic Chem 1
Organic Chem 2
Physics I
Physics II (some only require 1 semester)
English 1
English 2
Econ
Psych and or Sociology
Calc I
Statistics
*Anatomy and Physiology (few require this)
*Microbiology (same as above)
*Biochemistry (same thing)

1. How do these compare to the pre-reqs of most most medschools?
2. What courses are considered pre-reqs for the MCAT?
3. Do med schools REQUIRE a Bachelors?
 
1. If you take all of those courses you'll be fine for med schools. Technically all you need are:
- 1 yr bio w/ lab
- 1 yr chem w/ lab
- 1 yr orgo w/ lab
- 1 yr physics w/ lab
- 1 yr writing
- 1 yr math
- requirements for social sciences and humanities vary by school but are usually satisfied by your university requirement
- many schools now require biochem and/or genetics

2. Bio, chem, orgo, physics (though biochem and/or physio would help)

3. Yes, for all practical purposes you need a bachelor's
 
I took all of those classes and they're worth taking but if you don't have the time, you can skip out on a&p and microbio for med school.
 
1. If you take all of those courses you'll be fine for med schools. Technically all you need are:
- 1 yr bio w/ lab
- 1 yr chem w/ lab
- 1 yr orgo w/ lab
- 1 yr physics w/ lab
- 1 yr writing
- 1 yr math
- requirements for social sciences and humanities vary by school but are usually satisfied by your university requirement
- many schools now require biochem and/or genetics

2. Bio, chem, orgo, physics (though biochem and/or physio would help)

3. Yes, for all practical purposes you need a bachelor's

I wanted to comment on this, there are no schools in the United States I think, that will accept you without a baccalaureate or bachelor's degree. There are two schools in Canada that still accept people out of Junior year... but they are impossible to get into.

Those pre-reqs that Saggy mentioned included math. Most schools don't require calculus, but a few do, like Harvard. Also, more and more schools are requiring biochem. You should take biochem because it will make understanding the fundamentals in medical school that much easier.