med school profile advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rguerra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm applying to medical school next cycle. I recently graduated from University of Miami with a Bachelors of Science in Biology with a minor in Chemistry. I graduated with a combined GPA of 3.44 between UM and Miami-Dade College. I have done research with two of my professors. I have 300 hours of volunteer work between my local hospital and assisted living home (150/150). I have also done a study abroad trip to Costa Rica. Also, the usual clubs in school. I'm looking for advice on what I can possibly do to try to get into medical school next year when I apply. Am currently thinking of shadowing a physician for as much as I can, doing a mobile clinic with MEDLIFE in Peru, and possibly getting a research assistant job. Going to try apply as early as possible. Having one of those, I doubt im getting in moments lol. My biggest doubt is my GPA. Also havent taken the MCAT, but I'm currently studying for that right now. Obviously, getting a high MCAT score will help me a lot so trying to do my best lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those mission trips don't add much (and can hurt).
A strong MCAT is always good but it doesn't make up for undergrad performance.
Don't take the MCAT to stay "on track." Take it once like you will be married to it (you will be).
Gpa trend is still important. Make sure it's clearly up.

Take all the time you need to have the best application possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. I'm applying to medical school next cycle. I recently graduated from University of Miami with a Bachelors of Science in Biology with a minor in Chemistry. I graduated with a combined GPA of 3.44 between UM and Miami-Dade College. I have done research with two of my professors. I have 300 hours of volunteer work between my local hospital and assisted living home (150/150). I have also done a study abroad trip to Costa Rica. Also, the usual clubs in school. I'm looking for advice on what I can possibly do to try to get into medical school next year when I apply. Am currently thinking of shadowing a physician for as much as I can, doing a mobile clinic with MEDLIFE in Peru, and possibly getting a research assistant job. Going to try apply as early as possible. Having one of those, I doubt im getting in moments lol. My biggest doubt is my GPA. Also havent taken the MCAT, but I'm currently studying for that right now. Obviously, getting a high MCAT score will help me a lot so trying to do my best lol.
Read this book:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig

ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

Reactions: 1 user