Med School Ranks, Curriculum, Student USMLE Rankings and Residency Placements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Untraditional

Making bad career decisions since 2003
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I just scored below the mean on the SF (search function) portion of the SDN-CAT, but I'm wondering if anyone has a resource for the kinds of rankings I cite in the thread title.

I have seen the Residency Director Rankings thread but the information in the USNEWS survey seems rather spotty. Is there a self report ranking out there that is more comprehensive?

I'm also looking for any information on curriculum among schools, specificially something that describes how students are evaluated when you compare candidates from schools who have honors/pass/fail systems against those from schools with noncompetetive pass/fail evaluations.

Happy holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps I just scored below the mean on the SF (search function) portion of the SDN-CAT, but I'm wondering if anyone has a resource for the kinds of rankings I cite in the thread title.

I have seen the Residency Director Rankings thread but the information in the USNEWS survey seems rather spotty. Is there a self report ranking out there that is more comprehensive?

I'm also looking for any information on curriculum among schools, specificially something that describes how students are evaluated when you compare candidates from schools who have honors/pass/fail systems against those from schools with noncompetetive pass/fail evaluations.

Happy holidays!

US News and World Reports ranks med schools based on research and on primary care criteria. It is very questionable methodology, but some people like the ranking system. The big problem is that while in any group of schools, there will be those that are more and less competitive, it's hard to define "better" in such a system. All accredited US med schools are quite competitive, all are quite solid in terms of their mission, all are filled with students who got mostly A's in college, all are going to get the job done for the right individual. For the most part, med school is an individual journey, and your med school won't make or break you, you will make or break you. That being said, med schools certainly can be differentiated by things like geographic desirability, physical plant and infrastructure, hospital affiliations, research opportunities, P/F, PBL, etc., and you can probably select schools based on these criteria and get your own, more workable rank list that will work for you.

There are no useful lists based on USMLE scores -- these scores are not published, and as a result, many programs see fit to withhold info, or worse, publish questionable data (sometimes outright lies. Most people on the interview trail will find it remarkable that virtually ALL med schools will say they score in the top 50% of US med schools. Some even make up scores based on running averages over multiple years, or by dropping out failures who subsequently retook or dropped out, etc). Don't believe USMLE info you see on here or from programs. This is not publically available -- you won't know it and it shouldn't be a part of your decision. in fact, it's not published specifically so it won't be a part of your decision, as programs feel it ties their hands in terms of trying new teaching techniques out of fear of admissions reprisal if their scores dip after trying certian things. Not that this would actually happen, because there is very little that a program can do that will have much impact in your score. The same person putting in the same effort will score the same regardless of where he goes to med school. All med schools cover the same material. All med students use the same First Aid, board review books, the same question banks. So the USMLE scores aren't really school dependent. If anything, the places that give the longest summer vacation probably give more advantage than anything the school can do teaching-wise. So don't use USMLE scores to try to rank med schools -- you are going to do just as well regardless of where you go. It's an individual journey. people want to believe that the med school is going to make them or break them, but really you are spending a lot of money for them to structure a pace and you still have to do all the learning on your own. Heck, half your class probably won't attend most lectures anyhow, so clearly the input from the school is pretty nominal.

As for residency placements, every program publishes its own rank lists. I have posted on many threads as to how rank lists are universally misread and misunderstood by premeds and should not be used by premeds. You can only really interpret a match list by, once you have chosen a specialty, sitting down with an advisor in that specialty and learning, via word of mouth, which programs are reputedly good versus malignant. You can't go by affiliated med school name/rank, because every good med school hospital will actually be piss poor or even outright malignant in at least some specialties, you can't just go by school name. Nor can you pick out just the competitive specialties. Often the best IM program is a better match than the worst rads or anesthesia spot, and you might be better off in a mediocre gen surg program than a malignant ortho program. You can have wonderful and horrible programs in different specialties at the same hospital (in fact this seems to be the norm). So you can't really get much from picking out the big names or specialties. And each specialty has it's own word of mouth ranks. More than that, match lists don't tell you where people could get in, it just tells you what they chose. Meaning a program with no derm matches may simple mean nobody wanted derm, not that the med school didn't give folks that opportunity. Unlike a lot of people at the undergrad or med school stage, folks applying for residency, are a few years older, more often having family or other obligations, and more often make choices not simply based on competitiveness, but also looking at other aspects. And bear in mind, you are picking the path you will likely be in for the next 40 years, so you have to like it. Meaning if you are the top student in your class, but you love peds, you may pick peds, even though you certainly had the option of more competitive specialties. I know quite a few brilliant folks who chose primary care over some other specialty options because they actually enjoy it. And that's really what matters at the career stage, not the ego boost of saying you matched into derm.

So you really aren't going to get a useful residency placement rank list of med schools. And again, it won't matter -- if you do well in school and on the boards, and maybe do research (if you are choosing a path that values research), then ANY med school is going to be an adequate launch pad for your residency. The corollary is that if you aren't a strong student, I wouldn't expect any med school to make the difference in your career either. To re-echo my mantra, this is very much an individual path, and you can make or break yourself, but if you get into an accredited med school, the school won't make or break you. If may give you infrastructure, research opportunities, and access to mentors in whatever specialty you desire, but that's sort of it. Make your decisions based on specifics of the school, not what scores or match lists you think it has because those aren't things that will have any bearing on you -- you will be the one to provide your school with the high USMLE and good match, not the other way round. Hope that helps. Inevitably premeds will pick med schools for reasons they will look back and find foolish years later. Most of the time it works out fine anyhow, but you will probably find that your sense of "best" was off kilter.

Thanks for the detailed feeedback. I'm more curious for curiosity's sake and am wondering how schools are discussed intraprofessionally. I was hoping to compare the rankings, which are sometimes very subjective to more objectively quantifiable measures like USMLEs or residency placement. My own experience has demonstrated a certain stratification that exists in the minds of residents. It seems to vanish at the fellowship level and among attendings that don't have residency responsibilities.

Can you shed any light on how certain schools are viewed? Are you telling me there aren't two or three schools out there where you say "This guy went to X... better keep an eye on him!"

Because of my circumstance I wasn't really in a position to apply to a bunch of schools. I carefully researched every school I applied to and would be thrilled to tears if I am accepted at any of them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with Law2Doc. It matters where you go to school, and on average the only people who say otherwise are those who didn't get into top schools (on average, not everyone; I do not know Law2Doc's situation). This includes people who themselves placed into a highly competitive residency but went to a second or third-tier school, and thus think their example proves that the school does not matter: that is an anecdote, not a statistic. According to some Rad and Derm doctors I work with at UCLA, it does matter.

Law2Doc is correct in that, 90% of your success or more (probably more) is your own effort. The common saying is: "if you score 265 on the boards you will be a better candidate than a Harvard candidate who scores 165 on their boards!". That is true, but it also fails to account that at a certain level of competition, it is very difficult to distinguish yourself.

Yes, you can get a nearly perfect board score. So will hundreds of other candidates applying to ROAD. Will your 265 beat a Harvard candidate who gets a 264? No. You can also have outstanding research. So will thousands of other candidates applying to ROAD. Where do you think you will get more research and publication opportunities: UCSF or Puerto Rico?

And if the director is looking at two candidates and is approximately 50/50 between the two (and at every ROAD program, they will have tons of excellent applicants to choose from), he will pick the one from the better school.

(school names omitted because I'm not sure how public match lists are) Last year, one of the top 10 medical schools had 25 people in a class of 100 match to a ROAD residency. Contrast this with one of the second tier state universities, who had 2 in a class of 200. Are we really to believe that the top 1% at one medical school is equivalent to the top 25% in another? No matter how selective they are initially, it is unlikely that there is THAT much of a difference in the student populations.

Yes, your own effort is tantamount, but the environment is extremely important. Aside from the additional research opportunities and (generally speaking) more money available per student, there is also the people you work with and who you compare yourself to. Have you noticed how groups of people that hung out together in high school either all went to college, or mostly did not go to college? Part of it is self-selective, but part of it is in creating that special environment where you are challenged every day.

I disagree with Law2Doc. It matters where you go to school, and on average the only people who say otherwise are those who didn't get into top schools

Law2Doc is a resident. A doctor. You're a pre-med. What makes you think you have a better grasp on residency selection than he does?

Stop embarassing yourself.

Law2Doc is a resident. A doctor. You're a pre-med. What makes you think you have a better grasp on residency selection than he does?

Stop embarassing yourself.

I think that's a bit harsh. Dokein's post seemed pretty respectful to me.

It's possible for premeds to have valid opinions different from residents.

I disagree with Law2Doc. It matters where you go to school, and on average the only people who say otherwise are those who didn't get into top schools (on average, not everyone; I do not know Law2Doc's situation). This includes people who themselves placed into a highly competitive residency but went to a second or third-tier school, and thus think their example proves that the school does not matter: that is an anecdote, not a statistic. According to some Rad and Derm doctors I work with at UCLA, it does matter.

Law2Doc is correct in that, 90% of your success or more (probably more) is your own effort. The common saying is: "if you score 265 on the boards you will be a better candidate than a Harvard candidate who scores 165 on their boards!". That is true, but it also fails to account that at a certain level of competition, it is very difficult to distinguish yourself.

Yes, you can get a nearly perfect board score. So will hundreds of other candidates applying to ROAD. Will your 265 beat a Harvard candidate who gets a 264? No. You can also have outstanding research. So will thousands of other candidates applying to ROAD. Where do you think you will get more research and publication opportunities: UCSF or Puerto Rico?

And if the director is looking at two candidates and is approximately 50/50 between the two (and at every ROAD program, they will have tons of excellent applicants to choose from), he will pick the one from the better school.

(school names omitted because I'm not sure how public match lists are) Last year, one of the top 10 medical schools had 25 people in a class of 100 match to a ROAD residency. Contrast this with one of the second tier state universities, who had 2 in a class of 200. Are we really to believe that the top 1% at one medical school is equivalent to the top 25% in another? No matter how selective they are initially, it is unlikely that there is THAT much of a difference in the student populations.

Yes, your own effort is tantamount, but the environment is extremely important. Aside from the additional research opportunities and (generally speaking) more money available per student, there is also the people you work with and who you compare yourself to. Have you noticed how groups of people that hung out together in high school either all went to college, or mostly did not go to college? Part of it is self-selective, but part of it is in creating that special environment where you are challenged every day.

Drawing conclusions can be tricky especially if your assumptions are not rigorous. Bear in mind that every school has a mission (academic, clinical etc etc). Some school matriculate and graduate students disproportionately interested in say primary care. Therefore extrapolation from ROAD matches can be fallacious and utterly meaningless.

I think that's a bit harsh. Dokein's post seemed pretty respectful to me.

It's possible for premeds to have valid opinions different from residents.

His post history suggests otherwise.

because every good med school hospital will actually be piss poor or even outright malignant in at least some specialties, you can't just go by school name. Nor can you pick out just the competitive specialties. Often the best IM program is a better match than the worst rads or anesthesia spot, and you might be better off in a mediocre gen surg program than a malignant ortho program.

what do you mean by that?
do you mean in terms of what you learn
or in terms of you-probably-won't-find-a-job-after-this terms

I disagree with you. I agree with Law2Doc and J1515.

How well you do in med school depends largely on you, not the lecturers, etc. From what I hear, there's a lot of self-study. How well you do in classes and on Step I, how much research you pursue, etc. is completely on you and not the school.

Your point regarding a top-tier school matching more people into a ROAD residency compared to a middle-tier one is not a good one. How do you know that only 2 people in that mid-tier university were interested in a ROAD specialty (and thus had a 100% match rate) while 50 people at the top-tier university were interested (50% match rate). Not only that, how do you know if those 25 people from the top-tier matched at their first choice residency?

Step scores and research, while important, are not the only things that PDs look at; there's a pdf floating around SDN regarding this. ROAD specialties are hard to get into no matter what school you go to. You still need to be a superstar. You'd also be surprised at how many research opportunities are offered at state schools.

His post history suggests otherwise.

Please, let's not drag more bickering from another thread onto this thread.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYeekQkAdc[/YOUTUBE]

(school names omitted because I'm not sure how public match lists are) Last year, one of the top 10 medical schools had 25 people in a class of 100 match to a ROAD residency. Contrast this with one of the second tier state universities, who had 2 in a class of 200.

They are public. You can name names. It would help your case to do so.

what do you mean by that?
do you mean in terms of what you learn
or in terms of you-probably-won't-find-a-job-after-this terms

A malignant program is one where the residents are abused and not taught particularly well. The program name may sound good on paper, but you wouldn't wish a year in that program on your worst enemy. Usually comes from the top down -- the PD is a mean SOB, and so he abuses his chiefs who abuse the seniors who abuse the interns. There are places where you are somewhat protected from mistakes you make while learning, and there are places where you are blamed for even other's mistakes. The latter would be a malignant place. There are places where the culture is to teach, and there are places where interns are looked at as cheap labor who can be ignored. There are places which abide by the hour restrictions, and those that ignore them. This should give you an idea about what is meant by malignant -- generally a place you'd rather not suffer through if you had other options. Some of the biggest name places may have malignant programs in certain specialties. Meaning you can't say X med school is top ranked, so its residencies are all top ranked too. in fact it's rare that a single place is good in everything, and more frequently is actually quite bad in something. A big name place may have a world class IM program, a solid surgery program, but be one of the worst places to go for, say, anesthesia or peds. A lot turns on who the chairman, PD, etc is and the cultures they instill. So this really comes down to specialty specific -- there is going to be a very different ranking within each specialty, and it won't be at all tied to US News med school rankings. And you can ONLY learn this kind of stuff from word of mouth. Hope that clarifies.

Members don't see this ad :)
And if the director is looking at two candidates and is approximately 50/50 between the two (and at every ROAD program, they will have tons of excellent applicants to choose from), he will pick the one from the better school.....

Not so much. I think you are a bit guilty of asserting what you think "ought to" happen rather than what actually does. Your perspective will change in a few years. Actually if the PD is looking at two equivalent candidates, he will most likely go with the school with which he has had good experience with applicants in past years. Meaning if the dude from your school the year ahead of you was a total tool, he just ruined it for you. And this is really how it works. Programs find places that crank out residents they are happy with and go back to that well over and over again. You will see when you eventually get on the residency interview trail how often PDs will say, "I see you come from X school, we have had very good success with folks from there in the past".

The reason for this is that in medicine, you are as good as the last place you've been. So at the residency stage, you are going to be as good as the residency you get. Meaning if XYZ residency interviews a dude from a top ranked school and a middle ranked school, at the end of the day whichever one they take is only going to be regarded as an XYZ resident -- the pedigree becomes meaningless. So they focus on things relevant to the job. Which means the weight goes to standardized test scores, research, references and evals, how you did on away rotations, and to external factors like whether the program has been happy or dissatisfied with folks from this school in the past. They tend not to be as enamored with school names as premeds are, but instead are enamored with whether the place cranks out folks who will do the work with a minimum of direction. Some places have very good reputations for this in each region, and it often isn't the place you think it ought to be based on rankings. The PD wants to be able to show high board scores but equally importantly, have residents who can pull their weight and get the work done with the least amount of headaches. Some places do a good job of generating the kind of applicants the PD wants, and others, not so much. And since this vocational form of training isn't tied to rank, and may come from programs at all ends of the spectrum, you will see PDs favoring programs at various places in the spectrum. So you may impress your family that you attended XYZ med school, but if that's all you have to distinguish you from the next candidate, you might be in for some disappointment.

I went to a first tier med school that has a lot of money and everyone in the country I live in has heard of the name a lot of times, but a lot of people hate working with graduates from my university.

Yeah, that's really not the case at all for the top programs in the US.

It's the younger generations that are real trainwrecks

It is a fact of life that every generation is lazier, dumber, and more troublesome than the one before it. Or at least that's what the older generation keeps saying.

Just look at this quote:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."

The source? Socrates.

My hospital DETESTS people from my university and we make up less than 5% of the intern population.

Again...not at all the same as in the US (if you ignore the people with a case of "Ivy Envy")

Drawing conclusions can be tricky especially if your assumptions are not rigorous. Bear in mind that every school has a mission (academic, clinical etc etc). Some school matriculate and graduate students disproportionately interested in say primary care. Therefore extrapolation from ROAD matches can be fallacious and utterly meaningless.

You're right, there is a certain degree of assumption involved. But it would be fair to say that ROAD residencies are competitive because there are many more people who want to go than there are spots available. Therefore it is impressive when a school matches 25 students into ROAD--presumably the opportunities and environment available at that school would not hurt said student's chances of going into other residencies of their choice, although that is a presumption.

Duke in 2009 had 9 match into Anes, 3 into Derm, 12 into Opth, and 1 into Rad-Onc = 25 (this is of course not counting prelims). Note that it is actually ~128 people who matched so my estimate of class size is a bit off, decreasing the percentage.

Now in this case I believe (to the best of my knowledge, not really a solid factor) that Residency Directors tend to think highly of Duke students in terms of the clinical training and etc., independently of some arbitrary research rank in US News. So it is illustrative of Law2Doc's point in the previous post, that residency directors care mroe about schools they know rather than US News rankings (and I certainly do not think US News rankings are especially useful).

Nevertheless, it seems that saying it does not matter at all where you go to school is a bit of a stretch. In my previous post I agreed that it was 90% based on the candidate, but there are opportunity costs and environmental differences that do affect that remaining 10%. Maybe it should be 98% and 2%, but i disagree that it is 100% and 0%.

Medical school reputation listed as #9 of 14 in the selection criteria for residencies.

Attachments

• Residency Programs Selection Criteria.pdf
    59.4 KB · Views: 170
A malignant program is one where the residents are abused and not taught particularly well. The program name may sound good on paper, but you wouldn't wish a year in that program on your worst enemy. Usually comes from the top down -- the PD is a mean SOB, and so he abuses his chiefs who abuse the seniors who abuse the interns. There are places where you are somewhat protected from mistakes you make while learning, and there are places where you are blamed for even other's mistakes. The latter would be a malignant place. There are places where the culture is to teach, and there are places where interns are looked at as cheap labor who can be ignored. There are places which abide by the hour restrictions, and those that ignore them. This should give you an idea about what is meant by malignant -- generally a place you'd rather not suffer through if you had other options. Some of the biggest name places may have malignant programs in certain specialties. Meaning you can't say X med school is top ranked, so its residencies are all top ranked too. in fact it's rare that a single place is good in everything, and more frequently is actually quite bad in something. A big name place may have a world class IM program, a solid surgery program, but be one of the worst places to go for, say, anesthesia or peds. A lot turns on who the chairman, PD, etc is and the cultures they instill. So this really comes down to specialty specific -- there is going to be a very different ranking within each specialty, and it won't be at all tied to US News med school rankings. And you can ONLY learn this kind of stuff from word of mouth. Hope that clarifies.

It does help! Thank you!

and I thought picking med schools to apply to was difficult :/

Medical school reputation listed as #9 of 14 in the selection criteria for residencies.
And that supports what Law2Doc has been saying: where you go to med school generally doesn't play much of a factor for residency. I don't think anyone's suggested that your med school plays absolutely no part; however, what people have been saying is that it plays a miniscule part, especially in comparison to things like Step I score, clerkship grades, research, etc.

And that supports what Law2Doc has been saying: where you go to med school generally doesn't play much of a factor for residency. I don't think anyone's suggested that your med school plays absolutely no part; however, what people have been saying is that it plays a miniscule part, especially in comparison to things like Step I score, clerkship grades, research, etc.

Even in my first post I said you yourself account for "90% or more (probably more)" of where you go. Maybe I am misreading the opposing side, but I don't think that, as rep is a factor no matter how small, it is wise not to consider the reputation of the school you go to.

Even in my first post I said you yourself account for "90% or more (probably more)" of where you go. Maybe I am misreading the opposing side, but I don't think that, as rep is a factor no matter how small, it is wise not to consider the reputation of the school you go to.
As with college, it's going to be far smarter to go to a school you can succeed at than a big-name school. School name is something to consider, but it should be very far down on your list since it's very far down on PD's lists.

As with college, it's going to be far smarter to go to a school you can succeed at than a big-name school. School name is something to consider, but it should be very far down on your list since it's very far down on PD's lists.
:thumbup:

This is what myself and others have been trying to say dokein. While school name is a factor (and a small one at that), there are far more important things that PDs look at.

You're right, there is a certain degree of assumption involved. But it would be fair to say that ROAD residencies are competitive because there are many more people who want to go than there are spots available. Therefore it is impressive when a school matches 25 students into ROAD--presumably the opportunities and environment available at that school would not hurt said student's chances of going into other residencies of their choice, although that is a presumption.

Duke in 2009 had 9 match into Anes, 3 into Derm, 12 into Opth, and 1 into Rad-Onc = 25 (this is of course not counting prelims). Note that it is actually ~128 people who matched so my estimate of class size is a bit off, decreasing the percentage.

Now in this case I believe (to the best of my knowledge, not really a solid factor) that Residency Directors tend to think highly of Duke students in terms of the clinical training and etc., independently of some arbitrary research rank in US News. So it is illustrative of Law2Doc's point in the previous post, that residency directors care mroe about schools they know rather than US News rankings (and I certainly do not think US News rankings are especially useful).

Nevertheless, it seems that saying it does not matter at all where you go to school is a bit of a stretch. In my previous post I agreed that it was 90% based on the candidate, but there are opportunity costs and environmental differences that do affect that remaining 10%. Maybe it should be 98% and 2%, but i disagree that it is 100% and 0%.

Classic pre-med fallcy: WOW look at Ivy U's matchlist! 10 people matched derm! That iz teh awsums. i.e Raw numbers without any sort of context/percentage are garbage. Example: the year I graduated, 10 matched into ortho. Sounds awesome until you realize that 19 applied.

Also, I LOL when people talk about the ROAD as the end all be all. You realize the "A" stands for anesthesia right?

Classic pre-med fallcy: WOW look at Ivy U's matchlist! 10 people matched derm! That iz teh awsums. i.e Raw numbers without any sort of context/percentage are garbage. Example: the year I graduated, 10 matched into ortho. Sounds awesome until you realize that 19 applied.

Also, I LOL when people talk about the ROAD as the end all be all. You realize the "A" stands for anesthesia right?

1. Duke isnt Ivy.

2. That year only 12 people applied to opth at Duke. All 12 got in. The other numbers are not available to me.

3. Yes, I realize A stands for anesthesiology? That's how I was able to count? I don't understand that question.

4. ROAD is an example of a residency that has many more applicants than positions. That means that there are probably a significant number of people at many schools that would want to go there if possible. Therefore it is impressive when schools place a lot into ROAD, and a good indicator of population performance, even though individually we can't speak for any one person.

5. You can "aim" your extracurricular activities and research to be intensive enough for the average dermatology admit, and upon failing match into a internal medicine residency. You can't aim to be the average medicine admit and upon failing match into derm.

I'd like to point out that there's more to it than just the name of the med school you're coming from and your stats.

Sometimes it really depends on who you know, where you did your away rotations at, and perhaps sometimes your affiliations with certain groups [IE the AOA ].

Best rule of thumb: Build as many bridges as you can and not rely on them until you really have to. But don't neglect other important things like grades and boardscores.

Okay, I've got to jump in on this one.

The #1 predictor of matching success is actually the number of programs you choose to rank. Even among the most highly competitive specialties, your chance of matching is extremely high so long as your USMLE scores are around 220 (that's actually a little below average), and you rank a healthy set of programs.

[SIZE=-1]http://www.aamc.org/programs/cim/chartingoutcomes.pdf[/SIZE]

Understand that many of the best students do NOT apply for ROAD specialties. Many still want to be cardiologists (internal medicine), neonatologists (pediatrics), and heart transplant surgeons (general surgery). Many of the "best" students are excluded through self-selection.

And when you really think about it - who gets to really do something interesting and life-saving? The ROAD specialties are universally boring! Most doctors become high-paid, prestigious specialists through fellowship training, of which residency was just a stepping stone. This needs to be talked about more on SDN.

Duke in 2009 had 9 match into Anes, 3 into Derm, 12 into Opth, and 1 into Rad-Onc = 25 (this is of course not counting prelims). Note that it is actually ~128 people who matched so my estimate of class size is a bit off, decreasing the percentage..... Nevertheless, it seems that saying it does not matter at all where you go to school is a bit of a stretch.

My school sent 46 out of 181 into ROAD specialties this year. And we're unranked.

That doesn't even include the 17 into EM, 3 ortho, 3 neurosurg, and 1 dick doctor. Did I mention we're unranked?

http://www.nymc.edu/Medical/match/2009/results.htm

Granted, I think NYMC is a great school. But we aren't exactly the biggest name in town. So either the school name doesn't matter a whole lot, or New York Med is severely underrated. I think it's both.

And yes, Law2Doc is absolutely correct. It has less to do with NYMC and a lot to do with what NYMC students want to match in. NYMC practically begs us to go into primary care. At some med schools, they actually listen. To read a match list and say "this school is good" is a major mistake. My point is to show that the school's name/rank/etc is a small or insignificant factor in the grand scheme of the match.

Last edited:
(in terms of bean counting, I'm not sure if I should count Rad-Onc or Rad-Diag, if we add Rad Diag it's 35 at Duke, and I counted prelims and transitional twice accidentally so it actually is a class of about 100, but i've no further points to make in this thread so this whole thing is in parentheses.)

4. ROAD is an example of a residency that has many more applicants than positions. That means that there are probably a significant number of people at many schools that would want to go there if possible. Therefore it is impressive when schools place a lot into ROAD, and a good indicator of population performance, even though individually we can't speak for any one person.

Eh, not really. 2009 stats (for US seniors)

Radiology: 931 matched, 155 didn't
Anesthesiology. 1,103 matched, 91 didn't
Derm: 286 matched, 125 didn't

For some reason the AAMC table lacks opthomology.

ROAD = Radiology, Opthomology, Anesthesiology, Dermatology.

No program had more than 1.2 US seniors applying per seat, with the exception of plastics (1.6).

The people who are really in trouble are "independent applicants" (DO, FMG's, IMG's), and they skew the numbers. Nearly half of all match participants are NOT considered to be US Seniors!

If you're an average student from a US MD school, then you're actually in much better shape in a ROAD match than you were when applying to med school. Anecdotally, I've read the post-match surveys here at NYMC and average (or below average) students get into ROAD specialties all the time.

Source: (maybe I should put this in my sig already?)
[SIZE=-1]http://www.aamc.org/programs/cim/chartingoutcomes.pdf[/SIZE]

Last edited:
1. Duke isnt Ivy.

2. That year only 12 people applied to opth at Duke. All 12 got in. The other numbers are not available to me.

3. Yes, I realize A stands for anesthesiology? That's how I was able to count? I don't understand that question.

5. You can "aim" your extracurricular activities and research to be intensive enough for the average dermatology admit, and upon failing match into a internal medicine residency. You can't aim to be the average medicine admit and upon failing match into derm.

1. Yes, obviously Duke is not an Ivy. I used the term "Ivy U" as a generic placeholder for so-called "prestigious" schools. I would hope most understood that. I apologize for any confusion.

2. You didn't include that data, which I have to admit is quite impressive. With that said, other factors may be at work which makes that hard to interpret.

3. My reference to Anesthesia was just to point out that Anesthesia is not that competitive. I see what peoiple get at with talkig about the "ROAD," but it's a pretty outdated reference.

4. Again, it really says nothing if "a lot" of people go into ROAD or whatever, because usually you don't have acccess to the number of people who were applying to begin with.

1. Yes, obviously Duke is not an Ivy. I used the term "Ivy U" as a generic placeholder for so-called "prestigious" schools. I would hope most understood that. I apologize for any confusion.

2. You didn't include that data, which I have to admit is quite impressive. With that said, other factors may be at work which makes that hard to interpret.

3. My reference to Anesthesia was just to point out that Anesthesia is not that competitive. I see what peoiple get at with talkig about the "ROAD," but it's a pretty outdated reference.

4. Again, it really says nothing if "a lot" of people go into ROAD or whatever, because usually you don't have acccess to the number of people who were applying to begin with.

1. Sorry, I was being a smartass.

2. I just feel the other factors may include classmates (e.g. people you work with, interact with, exchange ideas with, discuss topics with, etc. and environment. The environment, such as curriculum, is similar at many schools. Duke offers a unique curriculum but that is not because of its status. Students OTOH are selected for, and top schools select top students with a lot of diverse experiences.

3. I see, did not know that. Thanks for the info.

4. This is true, but including Rad-Diag and excluding Rad-Onc (miscounted), it is 34 people who got into ROAD. It is unlikely that 68 people in a class of ~100 wanted to join those residencies, nevermind the proportion who want to and then feel unqualified to even apply. While match lists to competitive residencies do not present a perfect picture, or even a low-resolution picture, do you disagree that it tends to correlate? (I also acknolwedge that ROAD does not include all competitive residencies, and may falsely include A and is therefore even less correlative)

The table you reference is hashing out data from the NRMP ("main") match, but Ophthalmology is part of the San Francisco Match.

Can you explain why there are different matching organizations? I've wondered how one goes through the process of finding hospitals at which to do their residencies. I wonder if someone couldn't game the system. Can you join the SF match and the NRMP, betting that you'll match a NRMP specialty if you don't match for a SF specialty?

Can you explain why there are different matching organizations?

Nope. Urology has its own match, as well. I suspect it is an artifact from some decade long past.

Untraditional said:
I've wondered how one goes through the process of finding hospitals at which to do their residencies.

By the time M4 rolls around, people have generally accrued priorities that narrow the possibilities significantly. Most have geographic preferences, some just want the biggest name they can get into. A few with borderline stats will attempt a competitive match, and will apply everywhere they can and rank everywhere they interview. As you edge forward through med school your situation will gradually come into focus.

Untraditional said:
I wonder if someone couldn't game the system. Can you join the SF match and the NRMP, betting that you'll match a NRMP specialty if you don't match for a SF specialty?

That's not gaming the system, that's just playing the game. People applying to competitive specialites will often have a backup plan in place. Also, many residencies require a prelim or transitional year, which can sometimes require a separate match. For instance, I had a friend who matched into neurology through the SF Match. That took care of PGY-2 through PGY-4. To handle PGY-1 she matched into a prelim year through the NRMP.

Clear as mud, eh?

That's not gaming the system, that's just playing the game. People applying to competitive specialites will often have a backup plan in place. Also, many residencies require a prelim or transitional year, which can sometimes require a separate match. For instance, I had a friend who matched into neurology through the SF Match. That took care of PGY-2 through PGY-4. To handle PGY-1 she matched into a prelim year through the NRMP.

Clear as mud, eh?

I suppose if you're a climber its quite logical. Aren't you contractually obligated to go where you match? Is there a penalty if you match NRMP and SF then turn one of them down?

Interestingly, the residents and fellows I work with were never able to give me such a clear explanation. The NRMP seems almost like a black box you enter on one side and emerge, a specialist, on the other. :p

This is the kind of thing that needs a day-long seminar.

Also, I LOL when people talk about the ROAD as the end all be all.

It's about prestige my friend, our motivation for going into medicine, no? <sarcasm off>. I also find it humorous when pre-meds are rattling off numbers for ROAD specialties when they haven't even started medical school yet. I could think of about 1000 other things I'd rather spend time doing during my last year of freedom.

We should hand out a list:

Q: Does your UME institution matter?
A: There is a correlation less than 1 and greater than 0. Due to non-randomization of students into schools, we will never know a precise answer. There are more important factors. See the published data.

Q: What can I control to get into a good residency:
A: Learning how you learn most effectively. Doing the best possible for you on the Steps. Gaining a positive reputation among your upperclassmen, faculty, research coordinators. Get good reviews 3rd year. Maintain relationships that will not only help for LORs but for networking later in life.

Guess which question is more important?

I suppose if you're a climber its quite logical. Aren't you contractually obligated to go where you match? Is there a penalty if you match NRMP and SF then turn one of them down?

She matched into a 1-yr internship not a full blown residency. She has to have a PGY-1 year somewhere and you get that through NRMP. She would then move at the end of that year (after fulfilling her obligation to the NRMP match program) to start PGY-2 at her Neurology residency.

You wouldn't match both. The SF match results come out much earlier, so you would simply modify your NRMP rank list to have only internships (prelim and transitional year) once you got your SF match. If you failed to match through SF you would apply to categorical and prelim spots through the NRMP.

You are wrong. If residency directors had two applicants with 2 identical apps they would not base their ultimate decision on which school the student went to. They would base this decision on who the program will likely get along with more during the following __ years. It will based on interview performance.

Your second statement about higher ranked schools placing more students into ROAD specialties is also misguided. First, it makes sense that higher ranked schools have more students in more competitive specialties. The number one factor for residency placement is USMLE step 1 score. These students have proven throughout their academic career that they are better test takers (better SAT=better mcat=better usmle); therefore, it would make sense that they would place better. Secondly, there are many less ranked schools that place several students into road specialties. For instance, NYMC is a lesser known school, but has placed more students into radiology over the past 5 years than any other school.

you are wrong. If residency directors had two applicants with 2 identical apps they would not base their ultimate decision on which school the student went to. They would base this decision on who the program will likely get along with more during the following __ years. it will based on interview performance.

+1

NYMC is a lesser known school, but has placed more students into radiology over the past 5 years than any other school.

Lesser known on SDN and to the lay public. Not in medical circles. With 12,000 living alumni, you never know where a NYMC grad may be lurking...

You're absolutely correct that beyond the initial screenings, matching usually comes down to the interview and your evaluations. It's nothing like med school admissions. Furthermore, unlike med school admissions the vast majority of applicants WILL match into the specialty of their choice. The institution/location is mostly what's at stake, not the outcome.

Last edited: