Med School Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haftred

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to get a letter of recommendation from a physician? Although I have shadowed numerous physicians, I don't feel like they know me well enough to write a lengthy letter on my behalf. On the other hand, many of my volunteer supervisors know me much better. Would it look bad if I didn't get a physician to write me a rec, and instead got a volunteer supervisor? The volunteer work was working with inner city kids..not really clinical in nature.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it necessary to get a letter of recommendation from a physician? Although I have shadowed numerous physicians, I don't feel like they know me well enough to write a lengthy letter on my behalf. On the other hand, many of my volunteer supervisors know me much better. Would it look bad if I didn't get a physician to write me a rec, and instead got a volunteer supervisor? The volunteer work was working with inner city kids..not really clinical in nature.

Thanks.

Short answer: no, not necessary, at vast majority of allo schools. DO is another matter - if you are applying DO, read up on their reqs.

Exceptions: a couple of allo schools require it - Univ of Utah comes to mind. Best to check, but it is extremely rare...

Exception #2: if you are using a pre med committee, check their reqs - some require such a letter, even though very few med schools do...

Last edited:

Last edited:

Thanks.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a lengthy leader. Remember that admissions committees read a loooot of applications and letters so a shorter letter may hold their attention better. If a physician can write you a shorter (say aparagraphs) but solid letter I think it would be a plus. The benefit of the physician letter is it's someone who's truly in the field saying "I'm a doctor, I know some doctors, I think Haftred has what it takes to be a good doctor." Your volunteer letters are also great, because they can attest to your work ethic, breadth of interests, etc. Good luck.