• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Reclusive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2005
georgia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hello,
I am non-traditional pre-pharm major looking into possibly pursuing a career in medicine. I have been volunteering at a hospital pharmacy and I do not find it very exciting so I am exploring other options. Right now I have applied to a carribbean med school as I have a chance to start next fall and I will not have to take the MCAT. Can anyone refer me to some websites that contain statistics on US medical schools (avg MCAT scores, pre-req coursework needed, etc etc)? My current science GPA is appx 3.7 so I figured maybe I might stand a chance going to school stateside if I can do well enough on the MCAT. Thanks.

awk

AWK
10+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
www.aamc.org

You will have to buy the MSAR to get school specific info but know the average GPA is around 3.55

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hello,
I am non-traditional pre-pharm major looking into possibly pursuing a career in medicine. I have been volunteering at a hospital pharmacy and I do not find it very exciting so I am exploring other options. Right now I have applied to a carribbean med school as I have a chance to start next fall and I will not have to take the MCAT. Can anyone refer me to some websites that contain statistics on US medical schools (avg MCAT scores, pre-req coursework needed, etc etc)? My current science GPA is appx 3.7 so I figured maybe I might stand a chance going to school stateside if I can do well enough on the MCAT. Thanks.

If you plan to practice in the US, you will have the most opportunities if you attend school in the US. If your reason for not looking stateside is a fear of taking the MCAT, you are approaching this venture all wrong. The MCAT is but one test in what will be a life full of tests if you go the medical route. The boards dwarf the MCAT in terms of content and impact. If you are afraid of tests, medicine is not going to be the field for you. Similarly, this is not a race and it is foolish to go to a school which might result in a harder road for you, just because you can start sooner. See the caribbean board and folks there can enlighten you as to some of the hurdles presented by caribbean schools.

About the Ads

Scottish Chap

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
I agree with Law2Doc. Going overseas for your medical education to 'bypass' the MCAT or because you can start earlier is not wise. Three years ago, with a foreign undergraduate degree and no MCAT, I had similar thoughts - for a brief period - and a good friend talked some sense into me. I am now a MSII in a U.S. school.

Earning a medical degree overseas will make life much harder for you and, almost certainly, it will be more expensive. Those are facts. I would prepare for the MCAT in earnest, and see how you fair. To say medical school is impossible would be dishonest, but it it very time-consuming - even for the talented test-takers. For the average test-taker, it would be misleading to say medical school will be without pain but, again, it will not be impossible either. Good luck!

Reclusive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2005
georgia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Thanks for the input. I intend on taking the PCAT or MCAT this summer. Hopefully I will make a decision by May on what to do with my life. I will then begin preparing for either test. Right now I am largely undecided and just weighing all of my options. The island school route is one of them for the time being.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.