med school tiers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squeakyuk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone had a link as to where to find the tiers for med schools. I used to have it bookmarked but had to reformat and lost my links.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

usnews.com has a (questionable) list of the rankings of the medical schools based on research and based on primary care (separate). Other than that, its kind of pointless to separate schools based on tiers. Any top 20 school is incredible, and you can't really say that the 21st ranked med school is on another "tier" than one ranked above it.

i really dont think they put med schools into tiers. other than wanting to go for research, ranking medical schools isn't like ranking law schools. there really are not any BAD medical schools (other than, which is questionable, Caribbean schools). its mostly just your personal opinion and choices in what you find most valuable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Arew there really any tiers when there are only 126 or so allopathic medical schools in the country?

You can "tier" undergraduate schools/colleges/universities and law schools and gradaute schools b/c there is so many of them to choose from across the country.

I do not think one can adequately put medical schools in tiers.

Heck, I bet most people do not know that the University of Denver has one of the BEST law schools in the country...or so it is reported.

haha med schools into tiers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

School matters JACK SQUAT!
USMLE Step 1 - determines whether you soar or fall

I was just wondering if anyone had a link as to where to find the tiers for med schools. I used to have it bookmarked but had to reformat and lost my links.

Thanks!

There are no such thing as formal "tiers" although folks on SDN may create their own based on US News research rankings. Thus it's hard to imagine you had anything official bookmarked.

"tiers" matter greatly in fields such as Law, because there isn't a lot of oversight from credentialling authority (ABA), and it's fairly easy to open a school. Thus, employment opportunities to a great extent depend on your status as a grad from a "Tier 1, 2 or 3" school.

In medicine, it's another ballgame altogether. There's tight control, both with existing schools and with the overall # of schools. So you really can't say there's any "tiers" as such, because any grad from any accredited US school can in theory and practise apply for, and get, any residency.

Also, I've actually never seen any statistically valid evidence that some schools have students who consistently outperforms on the USMLE.

However, there's obviously some schools that are more famous than others. How big the group is is open for debate, but it usually includes the "household names" that your non-physician family have heard of before...

Sorry if I was incorrect in thinking they were officially separated. I just always heard about 1st, 2nd & 3rd tiers that I figured there actually was a seperation.

Thanks for the clarification!