Med School Tutors for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waldeinsamkeit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has used the Med School Tutors tutoring service for the USMLE, and whether or not it was worth the large price tag.

Tutoring for Medical School Exams | Med School Tutors

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
People pay 260 per hour for a tutor? Holy balls...they make more tutoring than any doctor makes being a doctor!

Reactions: 2 users
People pay 260 per hour for a tutor? Holy balls...they make more tutoring than any doctor makes being a doctor!

Yeah, I thought it was pretty bug nuts crazy, but Kaplan really helped me with the MCAT. That's I am looking for something similar for the STEP.

Members don't see this ad :)
If possible get a private tutor - I know from experience that cutting out the middle man does wonders for both the tutor and the student

Prep company MCAT tutoring costs 100-110+/hr and they only pass on like 20-30 to the actual tutor. You can save yourself a ton of money if you find someone doing it independently

My issue with a step tutor is that anyone capable of landing an awesome step score isnt sitting around tutoring people. They're off making bank as a dermatological orthopedic plastic surgeon...

My issue with a step tutor is that anyone capable of landing an awesome step score isnt sitting around tutoring people. They're off making bank as a dermatological orthopedic plastic surgeon...

They could be M4s who have time to kill and wanna make good money

Reactions: 1 user

I'm an M4 whose taken Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS. I plan to go into academic medicine, and since I've got some downtime, I'm looking to get some tutoring experience and help students out in the process. I did quite well (99th percentile) on step 1/2 and love sharing my UWORLD secrets with students who need help. I typically charge $80/hr, and do sessions over video conference (eg Google Hangouts or Skype) with screenshare. Shoot me a PM if your interested, or visit the website I'm in the process of making to learn more: ImpactMedicalTutoring.com

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Huh, my classmate is on their tutor list and his step 1 score is inflated by ~40 points.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a friend who is looking to make some money tutoring med students before his first paycheck. He has an extensive teaching/med-ed history. Derm PGY-1, Step 1 260s, Step 2 270s. Lmk if you're interested, he'd probably take way cheaper than anything you'd find online.

I have a friend who is looking to make some money tutoring med students before his first paycheck. He has an extensive teaching/med-ed history. Derm PGY-1, Step 1 260s, Step 2 270s. Lmk if you're interested, he'd probably take way cheaper than anything you'd find online.
PM me

I have been on the Usmle world forums recently and there are a lot of people in Pakistan, Afghanistan taking Steps who are tutoring over Skype for 10usd/hr because their visas were denied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Ms. Cheng
Meet Our Tutors | Med School Tutors

MCAT: 42
Step 1: 250:naughty:
Specialty: ENT

HIT ME UP BABY! :banana::banana::banana:

This is precisely what I can't imagine. Pics (being advertised on the internet). I have been around docs who say 'come to me'. I can't imagine having to 'advertise myself'. Can anyone get away with not doing this in life. I mean, I know doctors who have their offices in banks for this very reason:)

If you google, there is another Asian Chen that is ENT st Duke.

If possible get a private tutor - I know from experience that cutting out the middle man does wonders for both the tutor and the student

Prep company MCAT tutoring costs 100-110+/hr and they only pass on like 20-30 to the actual tutor. You can save yourself a ton of money if you find someone doing it independently
Not true. If it's one-on-one tutoring, the tutors make significantly more than 30/hr. Examkrackers pays their tutors 75/hour for one-on-one and the students are required to book a minimum of 2 hours. If it's the general classes, then the tutors make 20-30/hr but that's because there is a curriculum provided by the test prep company and so the job does not require as much effort on the part of the tutor.

But I totally agree that the best bet is to find an independent tutor.

My advice would be to check out wyzant to find a tutor. It's a lot of MS3/MS4s tutoring for Step 1. There are competitive prices and since they are independent tutors, you may be able to get them to lower their prices with a conversation. Good luck!