med. school vs. grad. school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

It saddens me to see my friend get into a pretty good grad. school with all expenses covered while I labor away in med. school with a big ass debt. Is life fair?

Members don't see this ad.

When your net income will be 125K + and your friends will be 55K or so I'd say its pretty fair. :)

Chankovsky said:
It saddens me to see my friend get into a pretty good grad. school with all expenses covered while I labor away in med. school with a big ass debt. Is life fair?

Who cares if you have debt? You're gonna make enough money to pay off your debt in a couple of years, not to mention make hundreds of thousands of dollars more that that poor person suckered into grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
carn311 said:
When your net income will be 125K + and your friends will be 55K or so I'd say its pretty fair. :)

thinking longterm is exactly what you need to do even though at times it is tempting to cop out early for a more comfortable lifestyle.

Yes it's fair. Grad students work for the university...the work they do in the lab brings in grant money, making the University money, as well as paying their own salary. Med students attend classes and do nothing but COST the university money. I think it makes perfect sense that med students have to pay while grad students get paid for their training.

Chankovsky said:

You obviously think this is fair if you're going to med school... :rolleyes:

Chankovsky said:

apples & oranges. why not be jealous of everyone who got a job???

Your friend will have far fewer money-making options as a PhD than you will as an MD. Get over it.

As a current medical student, I know how hard it is to watch my friends and acquaintances, who have entered the corporate world or gone into law, make a lot of money. Here I am racking up an enormous debt, studying my ass off, only to periodically realize that, in fact, I don't know s***. Whenever I feel like ass, I just focus on the end of the journey--being a doctor is incredibly rewarding. Few career paths, if any, can match the combination of tremendous earning potential, the opportunity to make a huge difference in the lives of others, and the autonomy that medicine has to offer. Being a doctor is a great privilege.

stop whinning. You have all the info to make objective career choice that suit whatever your needs. If you think grad is better, then go for it.

I made 60k last year. When I get into med school (please please please) I will make 0k. It's all about perspective - doing what makes you happy requires sacrifice.

:cool: