Med School vs. Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureNeuroStud

Ahhh...vacation
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No offense to all of you posting choice threads to see what other people's opinions are about the choice you have to make in the next few days, but...

This is a decision you have to make for yourself. Make a list of what you like and don't like about the schools you've been accepted to and their respective locations. DON'T include ranking. Try not to bias your list with ranking or prestige. (Ex. if you didn't like the Ivy's curriculum or program, but you did like the 2nd tier's, don't rate the Ivy's higher just because it's an Ivy and, therefore, must be superior.) When you compare the lists, if there are enough positive points about the school that will end up costing you more to justify paying for it, go with that one. If money's not really a factor, simply go with the school that has more positive points on your list.

In the end, this is a decision you have to make for yourself. Other people's opinions can help (especially, if they're friends/family/significant others). However, you're the one who has to be satisfied with your decision. If you take the right attitude heading in, you can be happy and set yourself up for a good residency wherever you wind up.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course it's a decision that everyone has to make for his/herself. Everyone knows that. But it's helpful to get advice and hear other people's thoughts. There's nothing wrong with getting as many opinions as possible. I used to get annoyed by the "versus" threads, but since I found myself in the same boat, I'm a lot more understanding.

Hi, as someone who posted one of these polls, I just wanted to mention that I did so just for fun, basically. Of course it is an extremely important decision, and everyone I've known who has had a choice between schools has taken all factors into account and mulled things over at great length. I am 95% certain I know where I'm going, and it's a school on my poll that no one has voted for, but that isn't what matters to me. I just think polls are fun, and it is interesting to hear others' thoughts on the schools I applied to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course it's a decision that everyone has to make for his/herself. Everyone knows that. But it's helpful to get advice and hear other people's thoughts. There's nothing wrong with getting as many opinions as possible. I used to get annoyed by the "versus" threads, but since I found myself in the same boat, I'm a lot more understanding.

Agreed. If you read the threads you will see current students of the schools often post with very helpful information. At the very least, the threads help someone feel better about their decision. Nothing wrong with that.

Agreed. If you read the threads you will see current students of the schools often post with very helpful information. At the very least, the threads help someone feel better about their decision. Nothing wrong with that.

If you really have to post a thread like this then neither school stood out. Thus either will equally suffice.

Why beleaguer the rest of us with the nuisances of your choice?

The process shows how so many pre-meds are self-absorbed and pretentious; it is no wonder we [as the medical community] get such a bad wrap.

If you really have to post a thread like this then neither school stood out. Thus either will equally suffice.

The process shows how so many pre-meds are self-absorbed and pretentious; it is no wonder we [as the medical community] get such a bad wrap.

you make a couple egregiously flawed generalizations here.

you also post a question in response to the answer to your question, which i find somewhat amusing.

exactly my thoughts. there's nothing wrong with getting multiple opinions--it's all part of making a well-informed decision.

While I don't disagree with your premise, I invite you to keep in mind that this a premed forum. As such, it is natural for there to be threads mired in the minutiae of the application process, from start to finish.

I think it's fair to say that these folks have a right to post as they see fit as long as the theme is appropriate for the pre-allo forum and abides by the SDN TOS. Nobody is impinging anything upon you. You have total choice to read or ignore a particular post or thread. I'm sure some find value in these types of threads while others find them annoying. C'est la vie.

FWIW, for as many "help me choose" threads that come up there just as many "I'm sick of these types of threads" posts. This is no less self-absorbed, in my opinion, but just as valid, I suppose.

Oh well. :confused:

hey, there's no poll here. I need to vote for my favorite :D

here's an idea (don't know why i didnt think of it until today): why not make one big thread for all of these things, that way the whole front page won't be cluttered with them? that way people that are bugged by them will only have to look at one thread and not be driven to insanity by the aggregate.

here's an idea (don't know why i didnt think of it until today): why not make one big thread for all of these things, that way the whole front page won't be cluttered with them? that way people that are bugged by them will only have to look at one thread and not be driven to insanity by the aggregate.

people probably wouldn't get as many responses as they would like though. creating topics specific to the comparisons is much more efficient in provoking a wider array of opinions.

I suggest someone dig up all the Vs. threads of the past and create a super VS. thread with all the links included. If people start a new Vs thread that was already covered in the super thread, we'll just make fun of them and point to the super thread.

Just for people who don't know about the allo class threads, they are over on the allo board. It is my view that you will get the best SDN help there where the current students can answer your specific questions. We don't bite!

I agree that asking for varied opinions over here isn't that helpful because most of the views you will read are from people who attend neither place, and the ones from people who do attend one of the choices are likely to be biased in that direction.

:luck: