This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medschoolwife

Reaction score
Hey there!

My husband's just applied to 9 schools in the past week.
- PCOM (PA, GA)
- VCOM (VA, AL, SC)
- KCU-Joplin
- WVSOM
- BCOM
- LECOM (FL)

He has two degrees:
Biology (w chem minor): sGPA 3.83, cGPA 3.84
Athletic Training: 3.97
MCAT 504
1000 clinical hours
Army vet
Great LORs from doctors, preceptors, Sergeants, and professors

I'm just wondering what to expect and how to support him during this process. I have some questions:
For first years, do you think he's a competitive applicant at these schools?
What prevents people from getting secondaries?
Any insight to how long getting a secondary takes for any of the schools listed?
What are good ways to support him - presents/words of encouragement/help with applications?

Any other advice or things you want to share much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1.) is he applying to MD schools, if not then he needs to expand his school list. Yes he is competitive but a 9 school application list is unfortunate. Think about adding the more established programs.

2.) Support him by knowing it’s stressful and he’s scared he won’t get in right now. Even for the most competitive people, the process is scary.

3.) essentially all schools will send secondaries regardless If they are even interested.

Reactions: 3 users
1.) is he applying to MD schools, if not then he needs to expand his school list. Yes he is competitive but a 9 school application list is unfortunate. Think about adding the more established programs.

2.) Support him by knowing it’s stressful and he’s scared he won’t get in right now. Even for the most competitive people, the process is scary.

3.) essentially all schools will send secondaries regardless If they are even interested.
He isn't interested in MD schools - just DO. He likes the DO approach to medicine more than MD.

Do you have any school suggestions? We've gone through the whole list of DOs and these are the ones he likes most. Maybe we skipped over some others he should considered mistakenly?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you restricted geographically in any way? Or any geographical preference?

What is your husband looking for that drew him to those schools? What is your state of residence?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you restricted geographically in any way? Or any geographical preference?

What is your husband looking for that drew him to those schools? What is your state of residence?
Not really restricted in any way! We both don't *love* cities but Philly is on the list so it's not out of the question. Suburban is better for us (especially because I'm a scared-y cat and balk at the crime rates in some of the cities and towns we're looking at haha). We're from PA!

He's interested in going to a school that has been around for a while and has a good reputation. Nice anatomy and clinical rotation opportunities are important too. He knows he doesn't want to go into family medicine so he wants to go somewhere with opportunities for a good variety. A nice campus is always a plus and cheaper housing (that's dog friendly!) around it is important to us too.

That's all I can think of at the moment! Thank you in advance for your help!

He needs to look at the original 5. CCOM, DMU, KCOM, KCU (main campus), PCOM PA Skip MSUCOM due to tuition.

Add other schools like midwestern in AZ, LECOM in PA (both), etc.

Sure he likes those the most and they can be his top choices but he should apply to all schools he could survive going to.

Shoot go about 20ish schools

Reactions: 2 users
He needs to look at the original 5. CCOM, DMU, KCOM, KCU (main campus), PCOM PA Skip MSUCOM due to tuition.

Add other schools like midwestern in AZ, LECOM in PA (both), etc.

Sure he likes those the most and they can be his top choices but he should apply to all schools he could survive going to.

Shoot go about 20ish schools

Thank you so much - this list is helpful. Now just to finance all the applications haha.

Not really restricted in any way! We both don't *love* cities but Philly is on the list so it's not out of the question. Suburban is better for us (especially because I'm a scared-y cat and balk at the crime rates in some of the cities and towns we're looking at haha). We're from PA!

He's interested in going to a school that has been around for a while and has a good reputation. Nice anatomy and clinical rotation opportunities are important too. He knows he doesn't want to go into family medicine so he wants to go somewhere with opportunities for a good variety. A nice campus is always a plus and cheaper housing (that's dog friendly!) around it is important to us too.

That's all I can think of at the moment! Thank you in advance for your help!

Im gonna strongly suggest he applies to your state MD schools and maybe a handful of private OOS MD schools as well.

Agreed with the above +
RVU-CO
NOVA
TUNCOM
NYITCOM (have no idea how safe the housing is around here but doesnt hurt to consider it)

I was also a fan of two newer schools ACOM and CUSOM

Reactions: 1 users
Im gonna strongly suggest he applies to your state MD schools and maybe a handful of private OOS MD schools as well.

Agreed with the above +
RVU-CO
NOVA
TUNCOM
NYITCOM (have no idea how safe the housing is around here but doesnt hurt to consider it)

I was also a fan of two newer schools ACOM and CUSOM
I appreciate the list and the advice! Thank you so much.

He isn't interested in MD schools - just DO. He likes the DO approach to medicine more than MD.

Do you have any school suggestions? We've gone through the whole list of DOs and these are the ones he likes most. Maybe we skipped over some others he should considered mistakenly?

He’ll learn really fast that the MD and DO approach is pretty much the same, except OMM training, and I’d surmise that most DO’s do NOT use OMM ever (and I’ve worked with quite a few now).

Also, PA has 7 MD schools. I’d apply to 5/7 if I were him.

Reactions: 2 users
He’ll learn really fast that the MD and DO approach is pretty much the same, except OMM training, and I’d surmise that most DO’s do NOT use OMM ever (and I’ve worked with quite a few now).

Also, PA has 7 MD schools. I’d apply to 5/7 if I were him.
Thanks for your suggestion - I'll let him know! :)

Hopefully, since you are here, you can learn more and then educate him about how false his preconceived notions are.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He knows he doesn't want to go into family medicine so he wants to go somewhere with opportunities for a good variety.

Then he seriously needs to consider MD schools. Being an army vet will give him enough of a boost that it’s at least worth a shot. He should apply to all the schools in PA at the very least (except UPenn)

I would honestly be surprised if he didn't get invites and acceptances from all 9 schools he's applying to. I will disagree on the need to expand the DO list unless they are schools he would like to attend.

I would honestly be surprised if he didn't get invites and acceptances from all 9 schools he's applying to. I will disagree on the need to expand the DO list unless they are schools he would like to attend.
Thank you SO much. That gives me a lot of hope and makes my crazy brain not so worried! I will definitely let you know what happens!

Thank you SO much. That gives me a lot of hope and makes my crazy brain not so worried! I will definitely let you know what happens!

I don't think he needs to expand his DO school list either. I'd add LECOM PA just for the low tuition though. He will get into a DO school in that original list, I'd bet.

DOs are great physicians but as the other poster alluded to, you options will be more limited as a DO. It is possible to specialize as a DO but much, much easier to do it as an MD.

Apply to Penn State for sure. Their average MCAT is only a few spots higher than his. HIs GPA is right on par with what they want, and his veteran status will give him a really good chance. Plus, of all the PA schools, this is the only one with in state tuition (like 20k cheaper than all other MD schools in PA and all DO schools save LECOM). He should apply to Penn State TODAY.

Also recommend Geissinger in Scranton for MD.

I don't think he needs to expand his DO school list either. I'd add LECOM PA just for the low tuition though. He will get into a DO school in that original list, I'd bet.

DOs are great physicians but as the other poster alluded to, you options will be more limited as a DO. It is possible to specialize as a DO but much, much easier to do it as an MD.

Apply to Penn State for sure. Their average MCAT is only a few spots higher than his. HIs GPA is right on par with what they want, and his veteran status will give him a really good chance. Plus, of all the PA schools, this is the only one with in state tuition (like 20k cheaper than all other MD schools in PA and all DO schools save LECOM). He should apply to Penn State TODAY.

It's sad to say we totally forgot about PA MD schools - Penn State would be awesome!! Not to mention the cheaper tuition lol. I don't know much about Geissinger, but we'll 100% look into that.

Thank you so much for your help! You have no idea how much I appreciate it!

Being an Army Vet will give him a huge boost to his application. He should HIGHLY consider applying to many more MD schools.

It would be good to hear from some of the adcoms on here as well @Goro and @Faha would be able to give the best advice.

It's sad to say we totally forgot about PA MD schools - Penn State would be awesome!! Not to mention the cheaper tuition lol. I don't know much about Geissinger, but we'll 100% look into that.

For sure, happy to help as a PA resident who just went through the app cycle.

Penn State's average acceptance stats last year were 507 MCAT and 3.7 GPA. I'd say his chances at PSU are very solid. Plus Hershey is a cool town and matches what it seems like you'd want in a living situation.

The other Philly schools - Temple, Drexel, Jefferson - have higher average MCATs but with his veteran status he's definitely in the running there too. While technically in Philly, PCOM is out in the in a residential/commercial area of west philly bordering some of the nicer suburban areas in the country. On the other hand, Temple, Drexel, and Jefferson are really urban schools.

Again, MD will put him in a far more advantageous position if he isnt interested in primary care medicine, so I'd encourage some MD apps. The DO list as is is OKAY IMO.

Hey there!

My husband's just applied to 9 schools in the past week.
- PCOM (PA, GA)
- VCOM (VA, AL, SC)
- KCU-Joplin
- WVSOM
- BCOM
- LECOM (FL)

He has two degrees:
Biology (w chem minor): sGPA 3.83, cGPA 3.84
Athletic Training: 3.97
MCAT 504
1000 clinical hours
Army vet
Great LORs from doctors, preceptors, Sergeants, and professors

I'm just wondering what to expect and how to support him during this process. I have some questions:
For first years, do you think he's a competitive applicant at these schools?
What prevents people from getting secondaries?
Any insight to how long getting a secondary takes for any of the schools listed?
What are good ways to support him - presents/words of encouragement/help with applications?

Any other advice or things you want to share much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
He's fine for any DO school, including mine.

For sure, happy to help as a PA resident who just went through the app cycle.

Penn State's average acceptance stats last year were 507 MCAT and 3.7 GPA. I'd say his chances at PSU are very solid. Plus Hershey is a cool town and matches what it seems like you'd want in a living situation.

The other Philly schools - Temple, Drexel, Jefferson - have higher average MCATs but with his veteran status he's definitely in the running there too. While technically in Philly, PCOM is out in the in a residential/commercial area of west philly bordering some of the nicer suburban areas in the country. On the other hand, Temple, Drexel, and Jefferson are really urban schools.

Again, MD will put him in a far more advantageous position if he isnt interested in primary care medicine, so I'd encourage some MD apps. The DO list as is is OKAY IMO.

Hi to a fellow PA resident, then! My parents live around the Hershey area, so I'm sure they'd love to see us there haha. He's really looking at emergency med and general surgery, but is looking forward to rotations to find out what he actually wants to do. Thank you again!

Good for any and all DO
Solid chance at few MD (bc he's got the military card, otherwise MCAT too low)

I'd apply to top DO programs such as PCOM and CCOM (and MSUCOM if from MI)
I'd also look at state MD for best chance

Good luck to you and your husband!

Penn State is private as is all medical schools in PA. Cheap medical education is not feasible for PA residents unless you choose to do medical school in India...

Penn State is private as is all medical schools in PA. Cheap medical education is not feasible for PA residents unless you choose to do medical school in India...
LECOM in Erie, PA is cheap as far as medical school goes...

Geisinger is in Scranton and is definitely a program geared more toward rural health. Geisinger is a great affiliation, though. The school was just Commonwealth Medical College before Geisinger acquired them.