Med Schools in the Hood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doc Ivy said:
Actually Yale is in the hood too--- walk a couple of blocks in any one particular direction and it's straight ghetto. With the exeception of the students and professors that live there, New Haven is pretty economically depressed so if sickle cell and penetrating trauma are what you're after, it's a good place to be.

Northwestern...now that's the ANTI-HOOD. Oprah lives across the street. :laugh:

i'm finding it really disturbing that you are equating hood with african american people. this is very myopic. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

BUSM
my boss has been mugged twice in broad daylight just outside the parking lot (which is still inside the campus)

rpkall said:
I can't believe no one said anything about Washington DC (Howard) and Baltimore (Johns Hopkins).

Both of those are in freakin' demilitarized zones.

The area around Johns Hopkins is pretty crappy; Washington DC, though, needs Batman or something.
I highly second that, i livedin dc for the past 2 years, did not go to howard but it is unheard of for a white person to venture into SE/SW DC, it is probably on par with a feeling you would get going to some slums in mexico city or something really dirty and unsafe. JHU also is in the skum of the earth location.. i mean ya NYC, Detroit are all rough areas, but come on, nothing is more "ghetto" than baltimore.. stear clear IMO. is medschool really worth getting shot at for

Members don't see this ad :)
zion said:
i'm finding it really disturbing that you are equating hood with african american people. this is very myopic. :thumbdown:
never been in many inner city ghettos, I take it. it's not myopic, it's reality. I realized the other day how long it's been since I've seen white kids. there are absolutely other races in our ghettos as witnessed by the popularity of the vietnamese and spanish translators, but the bottom line is most are black. period.

zion said:

dude black people are thugs in the inner city, it gives them a sense of something because what else is there to live for in a dirty poor inner city. Fact of the matter you drive through the top 20 big city dumps in america, you will find 90 percent blacks, 9 percent hispanic, 1 other.. its fact not racism bud take a summer road trip and report how many white guys you find ok.. of course there will always be that one or 2 white guy that reallyh thinks they are black so if you count them then ok there are probably 20 white guys in the country in the hoods

Ramoray said:
dude black people are thugs in the inner city, it gives them a sense of something because what else is there to live for in a dirty poor inner city. Fact of the matter you drive through the top 20 big city dumps in america, you will find 90 percent blacks, 9 percent hispanic, 1 other.. its fact not racism bud take a summer road trip and report how many white guys you find ok.. of course there will always be that one or 2 white guy that reallyh thinks they are black so if you count them then ok there are probably 20 white guys in the country in the hoods

"black people are thugs". wtf is this supposed to mean. your crass and RACIST generalization about african americans is not only *****ic but sadly a reflection on your lack of knowledge. how can you make a such a blanket statement?

true african americans are disproportionately stuck in the ghettos, and going to a school in large city that has affiliations with multiple hospitals, both that cater to lower socioeconomic and significantly higher strata, i realize the difference. however, bud, your stupid comments reflect on your lack of understanding of other cultures and groups and the hardships they endure.

zion said:
"black people are thugs". wtf is this supposed to mean. your crass and RACIST generalization about african americans is not only *****ic but sadly a reflection on your lack of knowledge. how can you make a such a blanket statement?

true african americans are disproportionately stuck in the ghettos, and going to a school in large city that has affiliations with multiple hospitals, both that cater to lower socioeconomic and significantly higher strata, i realize the difference. however, bud, your stupid comments reflect on your lack of understanding of other cultures and groups and the hardships they endure.
dude try quoting the right sentence.. i said " black people are thugs in THE INNER CITY" so are most people in the ghettos, you have to be to survive i am not saying you dont have to be one but its true. you walk into any inner city and tell me if you ever do not see a thug type. ya your probably right i am sure they are all playing dodgeball and trading baseball cards... sorry my bad

zion said:

That's funny that you should say that because I'm black. Whatever. Epidemiologic facts should NOT be taken to be racist, or myopic. Besides, all I said was sickle cell, and penetrating trauma. I didn't say a thing about race. That, my dear was YOUR assumption :rolleyes:

Doc Ivy said:
That's funny that you should say that because I'm black. Whatever. Epidemiologic facts should NOT be taken to be racist, or myopic. Besides, all I said was sickle cell, and penetrating trauma. I didn't say a thing about race. That, my dear was YOUR assumption :rolleyes:
ha i love that, i alwasy wish i was black when i hear comments like that accusing people of being racist and than i always would love to say.. buddy i AM black, its not racist.. but im not so i can never use that but this was great!!.. odd i always picture doc ivy as white due to your avatar!

Ramoray said:
ha i love that, i alwasy wish i was black when i hear comments like that accusing people of being racist and than i always would love to say.. buddy i AM black, its not racist.. but im not so i can never use that but this was great!!.. odd i always picture doc ivy as white due to your avatar!

Just goes to show you...never judge a book by it's cover ;)

I'll give you the Chicago answer:
university of Chicago- located in Hyde Park, a nice neighborhood, but it is an island surrounded by south side ghetto, treats lots of patients from the south side
Rush located in the near west, bad neighborhood (but changing) affiliated with Cook County (the hospital on the TV show ER) so even though Rush hospital is private rotations at Stroger/cook county are tough
UIC same neighborhood as Rush (right next door in fact) public hospital treats a lot of rough type characters

Ramoray said:

fact, really though, white guys are smoking the crack, sniffing the coca, and shooting up the chiva, and snorting the meth indoors within the inner city---in all honesty-they are too paranoid to be caught by your myopic view while you are driving your jalopy sightseeing.

i actually did not know people (Ramoray) could be so foockin ignorant.

damm yo, i would hate to be your patient homee

StreetGenius said:
fact, really though, white guys are smoking the crack, sniffing the coca, and shooting up the chiva, and snorting the meth indoors within the inner city---in all honesty-they are too paranoid to be caught by your myopic view while you are driving your jalopy sightseeing.

i actually did not know people (Ramoray) could be so foockin ignorant.

damm yo, i would hate to be your patient homee

ok yo, word homee

Members don't see this ad :)
pico61 said:
hey ya'll i am gathering my list of schools for the app process. I am interested in schools that are located in the hood. Particularly, schools in los angeles, new york, chicago, philadelphia, and new jersey or any other areas. If ya'll can list some schools, i will greatly appreciate it. Also, a one to two sentence description would help. For example, school x is located in a ghetto neighborhood, the patient population is extremely poor et cetera..

thanks in advance

What the $%$#$ are you people talking about. People that live in the "hood" consider themselves to be people not "thugs" or any other sterotype, just like everyone else, there's peoples grandmas going to church, people working, doing everything else that people do anywhere. The violence is simply a result of negative socioeconomic pressure.

If you really want to go to a school dedicated to serving those who need your help most, consider one of the three hbcu medical schools, morehouse, meharry, howard. They are in the neighborhoods of the people that they serve, reach out to the neighborhoods that they serve, operate on lower budgets (compared to the elitist medical institutions) like the people that they serve, and have student bodies that are like the people that they serve.

You can't serve anyone if you have to resort to using negative sterotypical descriptions. You can't serve anyone until you realize he/she is just a person like yourself.

doc ivy, i don't know where you got racist from my post. perhaps you should go back and read it more carefully. just because you are african american does not exclude you from being ignorant and myopic.

romoray, you are a *****, plain and simple. calling people thugs, implies an element of criminality. as already said, people living in poorer neighborhoods are grandmas, mothers, fathers, children, etc. im sure from your view they all look the same since they all may be the same race, etc. also, many other ethnic groups live in poor neighborhoods, like chicano/latino people, caucasians, and asians. just because as you go sight seeing you don't see them, doesn't make it so. again, please open your eyes, it will make you a better doctor and person.

zion said:
doc ivy, i don't know where you got racist from my post. perhaps you should go back and read it more carefully. just because you are african american does not exclude you from being ignorant and myopic.

romoray, you are a *****, plain and simple. calling people thugs, implies an element of criminality. as already said, people living in poorer neighborhoods are grandmas, mothers, fathers, children, etc. im sure from your view they all look the same since they all may be the same race, etc. also, many other ethnic groups live in poor neighborhoods, like chicano/latino people, caucasians, and asians. just because as you go sight seeing you don't see them, doesn't make it so. again, please open your eyes, it will make you a better doctor and person.

you are saying there is not a higher element of crime in the hoods? ha that is laughable, check your public crime records and you tell me if everyone of them does not peak in the hoods... peace rAmoray

Ramoray said:
dude black people are thugs in the inner city, it gives them a sense of something because what else is there to live for in a dirty poor inner city.

no one is denying that there is an increased prevalence of crime in inner city neighborhoods. please read your own statement, which i have quoted above for your convenience which makes a blanket statement. you clearly say that a specific group of people based on race are thugs. you do not differentiate between age groups or anything. you are flat out saying that the old ladies, the pastors, the business workers, the janitors, and children that live in the inner city are thugs. you seem to have some perverse idea that being a thug is correlated with survival, which is in fact not true.

if you had any knowledge if the inner city, you would realize that the majority of people are hard working people who are relegated to live in miserable conditions because of economic, racial, and social inequalities. there is a minority who are the "thugs" that you so blatantly lable everyone as. this small minority accounts for the elevated crime level.

i again urge your to please go out and learn about these places and people that you feel so confident in stereotyping, when if fact you know nothing about their plights. it'll make you a better human being.

it's funny that the truth actually lies somewhere in between these two views, yet nobody really wants to go there ;)

zion said:

Zion, if you want to talk about misunderstandings perhaps you should go back and read your response to my post. I grew up in the most ridiculously suburban environment ever, was raised by two professional parents. If ANYONE knows that African Americans can resemble everything from the Huxtables to the the homeless and every permutation of life in between, it's me. But for Christ's sake, get your head out of the sand. The hard fact, as sad as it may be, is that the inner city low income housing is disproportionately inhabited by Blacks and Latinos, but also single, and teenage mothers of all races. I know, because I did AIDS education and outreach in the housing projects surrounding New Haven. I've been door to door handing out condoms in some of the poorest neighborhoods and I've done the stats. So to deny this fact Zion, is far more myopic than to confront the epidemiology and actually DO something to make it better.

That 's all I have to say!

Damn homey All blacks that live in the inner city are THUGS. Its quite ignorant and probably racist. It seems to me that a considerable amount of members of this forum are ignorant to what goes about anything outside their neighborhood. Racist statements are generalization about a group of people that are false. I think an apology is in order here to ALL of the people you have offended here. I live in NYC (inner city) and I'm matriculating this fall. My wife is going to Law school, but according to your reasoning we're just "thugs." What's scary is the fact that there are alot of people throughout the country thinks this way and have children who.......... Funny, scary but funny.

zion said:
no one is denying that there is an increased prevalence of crime in inner city neighborhoods.

I know this is petty but the epidemiologist/biostatistician within me just cannot shut up. That sentence should read "incidence" not prevalence. It's more appropriate when talking about crime.

Incidence- number of new cases
Prevalence- number of existing cases

Alot of people make the same mistake, no biggie... :)

Ramoray said:
dude try quoting the right sentence.. i said " black people are thugs in THE INNER CITY" so are most people in the ghettos, you have to be to survive i am not saying you dont have to be one but its true. you walk into any inner city and tell me if you ever do not see a thug type. ya your probably right i am sure they are all playing dodgeball and trading baseball cards... sorry my bad
I feel bad for the medical profession as a whole when individuals such as this are admitted into med school. I wonder if he would have said something like this during interview, I think not.

open your eyes, inner cities are black, deal with it. Black power is so played out dude. you guys get plenty of perks so dont whine. Listen the majority of crime in this country is from blacks. its fact not racisms. clean up the races act and the stereotypes would fade. Peace

Ramoray said:
open your eyes, inner cities are black, deal with it. Black power is so played out dude. you guys get plenty of perks so dont whine. Listen the majority of crime in this country is from blacks. its fact not racisms. clean up the races act and the stereotypes would fade. Peace

i think this post speaks for it self. :thumbdown:

DOCTORSAIB said:
I know this is petty but the epidemiologist/biostatistician within me just cannot shut up. That sentence should read "incidence" not prevalence. It's more appropriate when talking about crime.

Incidence- number of new cases
Prevalence- number of existing cases

Alot of people make the same mistake, no biggie... :)

Thanks for the correction. I hated statistics and epidemiology in undergrad with a passion, so i guess it reflects in my incorrect use of the jargo.

Status
Not open for further replies.