Med schools that aren't super urban?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xBODOMx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im not the biggest fan of cities. Are there some Med schools less urbanized than others?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd look at Dartmouth. Depends on how competitive your application is, though.

Off the top of my head: Michigan state (obviously not the Detroit campus;)), wright state, the schools in upstate NY, that new school in Scranton, Vermont, Dartmouth, southern IL U, UIC (non-chicago campuses), UIowa and the Uminn Duluth campus. Sorry, midwest and NE schools are all I'm familiar with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas A&M is basically in the woods.

bryan3.jpg

Pretty cool actually.

So you don't want ultra-urban, but what would you prefer? The other options are urban, suburban, and rural. The school I'm going to, (PSUCOM), is located in a very rural setting. Definitely my style.

medical.jpg

WVU and Marshall are also good choices.

Last edited:
University of Vermont was the most rural out of all the places I saw. University of Virginia isn't super urban either.

Missouri, Marshall, WVU, Wisconsin, Rosalind Franklin

Missouri, Marshall, WVU, Wisconsin, Rosalind Franklin

Mizzou is in Columbia, which is a very cool city. I have some friends from there and it is not a big "urban" city by any means.

I was admitted to Dartmouth and waitlisted at the University of Vermont 4 years ago and liked both schools. In fact Dartmouth was my second choice because I am very oriented toward outdoor activities - back packing, snowboarding, and flyfishing. So I would give two thumbs up to these schools if you are looking for med schools in beautiful rural areas.

Northwestern.

Just kidding. MCW is in a Milwaukee suburb, and you'll rotate at a variety of urban and suburban hospitals.