Med Schools want our Health History???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSHIFT

to victory
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't care that they want a physical. But what's the deal with the prodding into my health care history. Isn't this a violation of HIPPA? or something?

and no i don't have an std that i'm embarrased about. haha

Members don't see this ad.

To see if you have anything that might interfere with you being a physician?

http://med.umich.edu/medschool/admissions/apply/requirements.html (click technical requirements)

My knee-jerk reaction would be that it's a bit too much prying into my personal information though. I'll give them my SIN, every address i've ever lived at, but I don't know if I would want them to know everything i've ever been to the hospital for!

Members don't see this ad :)
i honestly don't know what you're talking about. all i've been asked is a questionaire which you fill out with your physician and provide an immunization history. that's hardly intrusive.

they don't want to admit anyone who a.) cannot meet the technical requirements for the practice of medicine or b.) have a condition that could potentially interfere with you obtaining medical licensure.

It's the same argument that they use for not admitting that 4.0 chemical and biological engineering/nuclear physics double major with 26 publications in Science and Cell who scored a 14 on the MCAT due to his 'difficulty with standardized tests.' He may truly have a test taking disability and may truly be brilliant beyond belief, and might even be the best potential doctor since Osler. But if you can't pass the USMLE, you ain't gonna be a doctor, and it would be unfair for a school to take your $100k knowing you weren't going to be able to get licensed.

I'm not sure which questions you've been asked but since your user title is MS0, I'm guessing you've been accepted and you're filling out pre-matriculation paper work.

In this case, the materials you provide your school will never leave the student health office. They want to ensure you're healthy and free of communicable diseases that might be transmitted to your patients. They also want to verify that you've received all the required vaccinations that are needed to interact with patients.

Trust me, this only gets more intrusive when you get to your 3rd and 4th year and you're looking to apply for away electives.

Trust me, this only gets more intrusive when you get to your 3rd and 4th year and you're looking to apply for away electives.

The residency questionnaires, physicals and drug testing are a bit more comprehensive than anything you will come across in med school. If a med school health screen is comprehensive, it probably is helpful because you won't incur hundreds of thousands in debt only to find out later that you don't qualify. As mentioned, mainly you have to show you have nothing that would interfere with you doing the job of resident.

Oh god, I hope they don't ask for complete health history. I'm mostly going to apply in the state of Georgia. Georgia is the only state in the US where epileptics can be discriminated against for employment. Has something to do with insurance. I learned that when shadowing a neurologist and one of his patients had been told this by the Epilepsy Foundation a few days prior. :( Of all the things keeping me out of medical school that I have overcome, I don't want my mild, well-controlled epilepsy to be the thing to keep me out.