Med Schools with Pass/Fail Systems Versus Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gutsy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Is there a list somewhere that outlines whether the med school has a Pass/Fail system versus grades?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

Is there a list somewhere that outlines whether the med school has a Pass/Fail system versus grades?

Thank you!

I think MSAR has that info on it. They also specify in their handbooks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools also apparently use grading for AOA or in the MSPE with class rank even though the transcript won't show it, so you might want to double check any claims about being P/F.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools also apparently use grading for AOA or in the MSPE with class rank even though the transcript won't show it, so you might want to double check any claims about being P/F.
Yes but some other schools determine AOA only based upon 3rd year clerkship grades and USMLE Step I score.

Hello everyone!

Thank you!

The simple answer is no, or at least not in any one convenient place .

There may be some stuff on MSAR but its likely somewhat inaccurate, also most schools aren't true pass/fail so you'd need to call each school to find out whether it's true pass fail or if they have all your grades on file and use them for ranking purposes (AOA, MSPE, Scholarships, etc)

Not that I know of. They only way I know how to find out is asking here or asking during your interviews.

Yes but some other schools determine AOA only based upon 3rd year clerkship grades and USMLE Step I score.

I know, that's what my school does, but other will say they are P/F and track grades anyway

Somewhere on here there's a thread where someone posted a document every P/F school along with whether they are actually P/F and how their internal ranking is expressed in the dean's letter. You could search for that and assume any school on that list is graded.

Concerns about what is or is not included in your dean's letter is ultimately a pointless exercise. At the end of the day, residency programs want some kind of information about applicants that includes a rough estimation of how they performed compared to their peers. Even if a school doesn't provide a specific class rank or something that granular in their letter, they are almost certainly going to provide general information about the performance characteristics of the class alongside your own grades, which effectively functions in the same way. This is what was included in my institution's letters - i.e., a histogram of class performance on each clerkship next to my own grade.

Your school is going to provide some kind of comparison data in your dean's letter - either explicitly or implicitly (for example, via carefully coded language). You cannot avoid it, and I would not make this a huge point of worry when trying to choose between schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Concerns about what is or is not included in your dean's letter is ultimately a pointless exercise. At the end of the day, residency programs want some kind of information about applicants that includes a rough estimation of how they performed compared to their peers. Even if a school doesn't provide a specific class rank or something that granular in their letter, they are almost certainly going to provide general information about the performance characteristics of the class alongside your own grades, which effectively functions in the same way. This is what was included in my institution's letters - i.e., a histogram of class performance on each clerkship next to my own grade.

Your school is going to provide some kind of comparison data in your dean's letter - either explicitly or implicitly (for example, via carefully coded language). You cannot avoid it, and I would not make this a huge point of worry when trying to choose between schools.
pretty sure everyone was talking about pre-clinical grades. Don't know about your school, but at mine the pre-clinical years is basically only mentioned if you fail something. Otherwise we all get literally the exact same sentence.

Is there anyone other than Yale that even claims to be P/F for 3rd year?

pretty sure everyone was talking about pre-clinical grades. Don't know about your school, but at mine the pre-clinical years is basically only mentioned if you fail something. Otherwise we all get literally the exact same sentence.

That might be so, in which case you're right. We also had similarly pointless notes about our pre-clinical performance.