Med Students and Cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMSBeagle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a second year med student and I've been blown away by the cardiovascular system and the pathology it presents. In class I loved the subjects of electrophysiology and I also liked when we talked about ischemic disease and was very impressed with stents, but profs said that stents don't have a clear future etc, and said that if some of us really loved the heart and also loved procedures we should consider electrophysiology or interventional. He then warned that the future for interventional was no clear but electrophys. had a bright great future. I'm very confused. I wouldn't like to choose a career path with an uncertain future. I think I'd like interventional because of the procedures, but if it is bleak I think I'd be willing to choose the other.
What is your opinion on this? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year in the same boat. Here is some of my thoughts on the subject.

Interventional will probably always have a place somewhere in the treatment of coronary disease. The days of making unreasonable money in the field are probably coming to a close, though, as CABG is being proven to be superior in the long term treatment of stenosis. However, acute STEMI responds best to stents and therefore will probably continue to employ the use of PCI. On the other hand, the future of stent technology is unknown and as improvements are made, it is conceivable that stents will replace CABG sometime in the distant future.

EP, on the other hand, doesn't have the same surgical competition as PCI, so the chance of drastic change is lower.

hay i am a high school student and would like to know about the future of anesthology.

hay i am a high school student and would like to know about the future of anesthology.

straw perhaps the anesthESIology forum might be a better place to start