Med Students... *gasp* caught cheating!

Started by CodeBlu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mmmmm there are some people who are just notorious rats. You know what I mean? Their intentions for reporting the incident are not pure.

I swear, I've seen way too many people report others, with malice in their eyes. They get off on watching other people get in trouble. That is what I cannot tolerate. It's just completely inhumane. That's why, I'd like to think as a more humanistic approach, I would always consult the person in question.

Who knows what they're going through? As a physician, you're going to have patients lie, cheat, and steal all the time. Your job is not to be a judge on their actions, but to help them understand that what they're doing is wrong.

But in trying to help them understand that their actions are wrong, you've already issued a judgment, eh?

But actually, you raise some very valid points. I was just trying to give the snitch his/her fair shake. If the other students are to be given the benefit of the doubt, I think this one deserves to be as well. For the record, my little brother is a rat of epic proportions. He is the most sinister, hypocritical, undercutting little beast known to man. And people like him should be punted in the scrotum. This I agree about... unless I just took it way further than you would have
 
I'll agree to some extent. Most of the time this is the case. But for some questions its see how well grounded you are in your "ethics and morals". From the convos I had with some adcoms they use it to test if there are any "emotional instabilities" with in someone.
However, if you do the approach of present both sides with a critical evaluation, you are in the clear 99% of the time.

I'm going to put forth a new topic for discussion.

You are working in a hospital environment. Your job requires you to wear a lab coat. During your break, you are approached by a young teenage couple. The female is clearly distressed. The male addresses you and asks you if you are a doctor. You reply, no, but can I assist you with something?
He then breaks out and tells you that the girls father is going to kill her if he finds out she is not a virgin. He suspects her of not being a virgin and is having a saudi arabian doctor examine her. (The family is of devout Muslim background, where such behavior is not tolerated). The girls father has participated in the execution another woman in the family for disgracing their name. The girl is seeking medical care, asylum, and/or hymen reconstruction surgery. What do you do?

GO!
 
But in trying to help them understand that their actions are wrong, you've already issued a judgment, eh?

But actually, you raise some very valid points. I was just trying to give the snitch his/her fair shake. If the other students are to be given the benefit of the doubt, I think this one deserves to be as well. For the record, my little brother is a rat of epic proportions. He is the most sinister, hypocritical, undercutting little beast known to man. And people like him should be punted in the scrotum. This I agree about... unless I just took it way further than you would have

Punted? I would have wound up and full out blown him in the balls!!!😀

I had a cousin that was a little snitch. I couldn't trust him for the life of me. BUT, I used to be all innocent and tell my mom stuff. Then you realize, there are certain things that you just don't tell you parents.

I don't think I have issued judgement. If I feel that they have done something wrong, then my job is to find out why they're doing it. To me it might be wrong, but to them it might not be. Find common ground. Level with the person.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure I agree with zero tolerance...i had some programming code that looked too similar to a classmate's work. My teacher (ex-marine) scared the tar out of me and I realized how quickly even something that looks like cheating can really mess up your future.

But then again, zero tolerance might not be so bad. For the most part, if you're caught cheating, it wasn't exactly your first time.
 
I'm not sure I agree with zero tolerance...i had some programming code that looked too similar to a classmate's work. My teacher (ex-marine) scared the tar out of me and I realized how quickly even something that looks like cheating can really mess up your future.

But then again, zero tolerance might not be so bad. For the most part, if you're caught cheating, it wasn't exactly your first time.

I am a firm advocate against turnitin.com. The website can be used inappropriately to no end.

Chances are you read stuff, you have an idea. What's to stop someone from having the same idea as you? Sometimes people write very similarly.
 
I am a firm advocate against turnitin.com. The website can be used inappropriately to no end.

Chances are you read stuff, you have an idea. What's to stop someone from having the same idea as you? Sometimes people write very similarly.

From my experiences ,turnitin.com will display the similarities between some works but will pick up blatant plagerism. This is why most school worked turned in this way has 12-30% rating on turnitin.com
 
Killing in the name of your country is apparently acceptable though...

Personally, I think military doctors are conflicted. "Let's shoot to kill". Then back at base camp, the doctor sutures up his own. It goes against everything that medicine stands for.

Whatever, that's for another thread, another day.


Conflicted? Military doctors don't fight, except in self defense. This is the reason the USMC has no native medical personnel and must use the Navy Corpsmen. ALSO, they fix friend and foe alike.

Also, cheating is bad, mmkay? Not everybody does it.
 
From my experiences ,turnitin.com will display the similarities between some works but will pick up blatant plagerism. This is why most school worked turned in this way has 12-30% rating on turnitin.com

I submitted my thesis to turnitin. It came back 23%.
I promise that I wrote all of it on my own and cited it appropriately. But my introduction and methods had been previously discussed in another paper. I can't make my physiology sound different. It is what it is. The professor actually asked me "wtf, did you cheat?" At first I didn't realize he was joking. But I crapped bricks!!! Then he's like "Yeah don't worry, that's pretty original, I don't expect you to write a textbook and then reference it as your own."
 
My point exactly. Teachers and profs know this. Its just to beat the laziness of reading somethings and seeing if something really is just word by word another persons paper

btw: all my experiences with turnitin.com come from highschool. I'm an engineer now so I havent had much experience as of late. so im basing this on past knowledge
 
My point exactly. Teachers and profs know this. Its just to beat the laziness of reading somethings and seeing if something really is just word by word another persons paper

btw: all my experiences with turnitin.com come from highschool. I'm an engineer now so I havent had much experience as of late. so im basing this on past knowledge

Engineering... great major. Difficult, but great. I respect you for putting up with that work load. It's definitely not the easiest path to medical school.

Don't engineers have a code of ethics to follow? I think I remember reading something about that.
 
We do. It deals with how we present ourselves in a professional manner and how we deal with putting our clients and people in danger with our products. At my univeristy we take a whole course dedicated to Engineering Ethics. It basically involves accountability, whistle blowing, different philosophical approaches to problems , etc.
 
I don't know how I would answer this in an interview, but if I saw this in real life--- I wouldn't care. Sorry if that makes me unethical. Also, I hate the argument "if you collaborate on this quiz, you won't be a good doctor.. if you can't be ethical here, you won't be ethical anywhere"... that is just not true and if you are trying to pretend that you can extrapolate future behavior based on this incident, you are deluding yourself.

Some people on here were talking about how they themselves have turned in cheaters. I don't want an answer to this but how many of you did it because you were angry that other people were having an easier time than you? I think people are self-motivated to further their own best interests more often than not when they "snitch."

However, while I think that telling on the other kids is kind of low since I believe it will have no bearing on how they practice as physicians, there is no way the snitch should be punished... they might be trying to get a leg up on their classmates, but they didn't do anything wrong in telling. Who knows? Maybe they cheated on another test-- but in this situation you can't fault someone for telling the truth. Even if it seems like a petty thing to do.

I agree with pretty much all of this post. I doubt I would have said anything either, if I'd known what those students were doing. Nearly all ethical questions have gray areas. But I definitely don't think that anything should happen to the person that alerted the school to it. It was the cheaters' fault for cheating, and they knew they could be caught. They were. End of story. I'm not a fan of zero-tolerance policies because everyone effs up at some point, and I don't think someone's entire life should be destroyed because of one error in judgment. But part of maturing is to face the consequences of your actions.

I can't say that I've absolutely never cheated in my entire life--I'm sure there have been times when I fudged some lab data or copied an answer on calculus homework instead of doing it all myself. I think if you really think about it, almost every student has done something like this without thinking about it. There's definitely a spectrum when it comes to severity of cheating, and that has a lot to do with the ramifications of cheating. A med student collaborating on an open-book quiz when they weren't supposed to? Sure, make them do extra coursework. Or attend an ethics lecture. A doctor lying in a patient's chart to cover his ass? That's a different story.

😍The one person I've met who uses Grooveshark too...

Just want to say how much I love Grooveshark too. 😀

I'm going to put forth a new topic for discussion.

You are working in a hospital environment. Your job requires you to wear a lab coat. During your break, you are approached by a young teenage couple. The female is clearly distressed. The male addresses you and asks you if you are a doctor. You reply, no, but can I assist you with something?
He then breaks out and tells you that the girls father is going to kill her if he finds out she is not a virgin. He suspects her of not being a virgin and is having a saudi arabian doctor examine her. (The family is of devout Muslim background, where such behavior is not tolerated). The girls father has participated in the execution another woman in the family for disgracing their name. The girl is seeking medical care, asylum, and/or hymen reconstruction surgery. What do you do?

GO!

Send them to a caseworker. Cop-out answer, maybe, but as a random employee in a hospital, that's really the only acceptable response. If I were a doctor? Sure, I'd give her a hymen reconstructive surgery, or refer her to someone she could. But I'd also have her talk to a caseworker and discuss her options. Part of medical ethics (and all ethics, really) is knowing where your limitations are and recognizing that, often, someone else is far more capable of addressing an ethical problem than you are.
 
I'm going to put forth a new topic for discussion.

You are working in a hospital environment. Your job requires you to wear a lab coat. During your break, you are approached by a young teenage couple. The female is clearly distressed. The male addresses you and asks you if you are a doctor. You reply, no, but can I assist you with something?
He then breaks out and tells you that the girls father is going to kill her if he finds out she is not a virgin. He suspects her of not being a virgin and is having a saudi arabian doctor examine her. (The family is of devout Muslim background, where such behavior is not tolerated). The girls father has participated in the execution another woman in the family for disgracing their name. The girl is seeking medical care, asylum, and/or hymen reconstruction surgery. What do you do?

GO!

Is she preggers? Otherwise, there's no way you can tell if someone's a virgin lmao. Therefore, in the most condescending way possible, I would explain to them how there's no way to tell if someone's a virgin just by checking if the hymen is intact (and btw LOLOLOL @ fathers checking their daughters for intact hymens). All the kid has to do is pull a Bill Clinton.


Also, as a nighttime vigilante, I would add her father to my list of people to throw down stairs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Send them to a caseworker. Cop-out answer, maybe, but as a random employee in a hospital, that's really the only acceptable response. If I were a doctor? Sure, I'd give her a hymen reconstructive surgery, or refer her to someone she could. But I'd also have her talk to a caseworker and discuss her options. Part of medical ethics (and all ethics, really) is knowing where your limitations are and recognizing that, often, someone else is far more capable of addressing an ethical problem than you are.

Sure, that sounds good. But this is a big step for them. Referring them might not work. You're involved. This girl is petrified of being killed by her own father. Are you sure you want to get rid of them this quickly? They just told you something pretty intense. Who knows why they trusted you? White coat perhaps? Do you want to risk this girls life, if her father kills her?
 
Punted? I would have wound up and full out blown him in the balls!!!😀

:laugh: questionable choice in words.

as regards your ethical dilemma posted above, i don't think it's such a difficult decision. in this case the law clearly protects this couple, and if the parent poses a clear and present danger to the welfare of his daughter, she should be granted asylum AND legally emancipated, at which point she could opt for reconstructive surgery without parental consent.

since you've stipulated that i am not a physician myself, all i can do is refer her to other hospital personnel and/or law enforcement. you can't personally fulfill any of her requests, so the ball is out of your court
 
Is she preggers? Otherwise, there's no way you can tell if someone's a virgin lmao. Therefore, in the most condescending way possible, I would explain to them how there's no way to tell if someone's a virgin just by checking if the hymen is intact (and btw LOLOLOL @ fathers checking their daughters for intact hymens). All the kid has to do is pull a Bill Clinton.


Also, as a nighttime vigilante, I would add her father to my list of people to throw down stairs.

By the way... this actually happened to me. Sooooooo when everyone's all said and done. I will tell you how I handled it.
 
I ...

...shared lab reports, etc. Obviously I do not go around giving the stuff away to everyone, just people that know me.

Heck, a girl in one of my classes missed an exam and did a mass email asking "how wad the exam?" I replied back with what questions there were, where the stuff is referenced in the notes and even explained the stuff.

ummmmm lol. I hope your school has the most lax honor code and scholastic integrity standards ever. I guess it must. You are certainly being blithe about behaviors that would easily result in academic dishonesty convictions at most universities...the sort of black mark on your record that causes 2304239103721 posts per year in pre-allo asking in panicked tones if such-and-such academic dishonesty convictions will really keep them out of medical school
 
Last edited:
:laugh: questionable choice in words.

as regards your ethical dilemma posted above, i don't think it's such a difficult decision. in this case the law clearly protects this couple, and if the parent poses a clear and present danger to the welfare of his daughter, she should be granted asylum AND legally emancipated, at which point she could opt for reconstructive surgery without parental consent.

since you've stipulated that i am not a physician myself, all i can do is refer her to other hospital personnel and/or law enforcement. you can't personally fulfill any of her requests, so the ball is out of your court

Bahahaha, I just realized that. How about this? Nailed him in the balls?

I would disagree about not being able to fulfill any of her requests. Sure I am not a physician. I can't do the surgery. But, this couple trusted you. What else can you offer them?
 
When you submit anything to turnitin, you give all ownership rights of your piece to them. They then go on to PROFIT off of your hard work. In an attempt to stop plagerism, it commits more plagerism (but for a more sinister cause - greed).

This goes against my ethical principles. Turnitin is not good for academia. That's why all the top schools, like Harvard, have banned their profs from using it. Only inferior schools still use it. It's only a matter of time before it's banned everywhere.
 
Sure, that sounds good. But this is a big step for them. Referring them might not work. You're involved. This girl is petrified of being killed by her own father. Are you sure you want to get rid of them this quickly? They just told you something pretty intense. Who knows why they trusted you? White coat perhaps? Do you want to risk this girls life, if her father kills her?

what are you proposing? hide them away in the closet of your apartment? because that would be just about the only alternative...

At any rate, it seems a worse thing to give false hope when you are in no position to do ANYTHING than to confront your limitations and turn them away, no matter how painful that would be.
 
Bahahaha, I just realized that. How about this? Nailed him in the balls?

I would disagree about not being able to fulfill any of her requests. Sure I am not a physician. I can't do the surgery. But, this couple trusted you. What else can you offer them?

this raises a big question. what is your obligation to a stranger in need? theoretically, you CAN offer lodging, you can pay for their legal / medical expenses, you can perform a back-alley hymen reconstructive surgery yourself 🙂laugh🙂, and perhaps this is the most "right" thing to do in such a situation, but even the most "altruistic" among us has his limits
 
Sure, that sounds good. But this is a big step for them. Referring them might not work. You're involved. This girl is petrified of being killed by her own father. Are you sure you want to get rid of them this quickly? They just told you something pretty intense. Who knows why they trusted you? White coat perhaps? Do you want to risk this girls life, if her father kills her?

Well, I'd certainly be willing to stay with them while they talked to a caseworker, if they really did trust me that much without knowing anything about me. But I definitely think it would be unethical for me to pretend that I had any more authority or experience to help them than I actually did. It isn't a matter of "getting rid of them". It's a matter of scope of practice. I work in a hospital as a CNA, and wear scrubs, so a lot of people think I have the ability to give them pain medication and medical advice. I have to tell people constantly that I don't have the knowledge or authority to do either of these things. Like I said, a very important part of working in medicine is letting go of your ego and being able to tell a patient that you cannot help them personally--but that you can refer them to someone who can.
 
You do not.

Hint: You have at your disposal, the entire staff of the hospital. Phone a friend? Mobile shout out? street shout out?

I see. Well, I thought that might have fallen under the domain of a "referral."

How hot is she?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, how on earth can the dad find out if she's not a virgin unless he watches her sextape and/or walks in on them doing the dirty?
 
I assume that it is my desire ultimately to become a practicing physician, and that any attempt of mine to render "help" would be perceived as an egregious breach of protocol, thereby jeopardizing my future in medicine. Furthermore, I assume that the net # of people helped as a consequence of my being a doctor as opposed to someone else being a doctor is >1 (big assumption, but i'm confident in my abilities). Therefore, I tell them I cannot help them and point them down the hall. It may very well be that this is a selfish decision, but I think it can also be justified on utilitarian grounds. The same goes for calling in a favor and pressuring another doc to perform this procedure off-record. I don't want to hurt him and, by translation, any people that might have been his patients in future. The safe choice here is to provide asylum but not the surgery, at least until legal avenues have been pursued.
 
Right, because even preachers who fondle altar boys can be really good at delivering the word of God.

Seriously, though, I don't think anyone's claiming these kids will be bad doctors. It's just a matter of holding people accountable. Even good doctors need to chastised when they err.

Don't even know how to respond to that first part but from someone who posted earlier:

If you can't handle taking small online quizzes/labs on your own, how in the world will you handle an actual ethical situation??


... I think that is suggesting it at the very least, don't you think?
 
Don't even know how to respond to that first part but from someone who posted earlier:

If you can't handle taking small online quizzes/labs on your own, how in the world will you handle an actual ethical situation??


... I think that is suggesting it at the very least, don't you think?

Touche. It does appear to to suggest that, and I would concur that the argument is misguided. However, this is one post among many, and to disprove the statement that "cheaters become bad doctors" is not to prove that cheating is ethically acceptable.

The point I was trying to make is I don't think these students' actions should be judged exclusively on the basis of whether or not they will make them "bad doctors." You can have the most brilliant medical mind known to man, but if you're convicted in several instances of petty theft, I daresay your school has the right to dismiss you from its MD program.
 
Killing in the name of your country is apparently acceptable though...

Personally, I think military doctors are conflicted. "Let's shoot to kill". Then back at base camp, the doctor sutures up his own. It goes against everything that medicine stands for.

Whatever, that's for another thread, another day.
Most doctors never fire their weapon other than on the qualification range. Go watch Baghdad ER (available through Netflix instant view) and you'll see that they basically carry them only because they are required to. Honestly, if a military doctor ever has to fire their weapon, their unit is so deep in the **** that there's a decent chance they won't be making it out of the situation alive, anyway.

Side note: everyone keeps saying that the person who reported the cheating should have talked with the other students first. Is there any evidence that s/he didn't?
 
If I were them I would have merely wrote an essay about how teamwork is the foundation of competent health care delivery.

Lawyerd lol

Collaberate on a test, face the concequences.

Fast forward 1 year. Don't collabrate on pt care, Pt dies...

There is so much shared work in the adult world. If you don't know something, you have to feel comfortable asking about it.

I am not saying what they did is right, but collabration is an important skill to posess, and there should be more group work in higher education.


+100
😍The one person I've met who uses Grooveshark too...

Grooveshark has a great selection of music IMO.
 
Killing in the name of your country is apparently acceptable though...

Personally, I think military doctors are conflicted. "Let's shoot to kill". Then back at base camp, the doctor sutures up his own. It goes against everything that medicine stands for.

Whatever, that's for another thread, another day.

There are plenty of docs that conceal and carry in the US for self-defense. Do you find them conflicted as well? Deployed docs aren't running combat missions, but they do go on good-will missions into friendly communities to do child well visits and related care. It really does preserve the doc's safety by not being the only person in uniform without a weapon.

And don't cheat.
 
I'm going to put forth a new topic for discussion.

You are working in a hospital environment. Your job requires you to wear a lab coat. During your break, you are approached by a young teenage couple. The female is clearly distressed. The male addresses you and asks you if you are a doctor. You reply, no, but can I assist you with something?
He then breaks out and tells you that the girls father is going to kill her if he finds out she is not a virgin. He suspects her of not being a virgin and is having a saudi arabian doctor examine her. (The family is of devout Muslim background, where such behavior is not tolerated). The girls father has participated in the execution another woman in the family for disgracing their name. The girl is seeking medical care, asylum, and/or hymen reconstruction surgery. What do you do?

GO!

Actually, when my Dad was working as a physician in Iran, he did the same exact thing. The funny thing was, the woman had man juice still in her and, feeling bad, my father said she was a virgin (no one really believed him though).
 
I don't really do anything when I see people in undergrad cheat unless it's a friend of mine and I figure if I noticed it, odds are good someone else will soon. I figure everyone could cheat, some people just choose not to. Do it and have an easier time while risking sanctions, don't cheat and things are harder but you're set sanction-wise. If someone has the balls to wager a future career against shaving off study hours I'll sit back and watch how that gamble turns out
 
This sounds like a great interview question. Is the only correct solution to refuse to acknowledge or abide by the schools honor code, and put that in writing? There was a dude at Princeton in the 1980s who managed to do that, and the university was forced to proctor all of his exams in private.
This sounds hilarious. Do you have a link to an article?
 
I don't agree with the sentiment that somehow because it was an online medical literature class it's no big deal they cheated...
 
This sounds hilarious. Do you have a link to an article?

I could not find one using google. I went to high school in Princeton, and I read about it in the local paper. Apparently it was quite a big deal - ordinarily the student would have been not allowed to matriculate, but somehow his lack of signing the pledge to do the whole honor code thing was not noticed by the admissions staff. He enrolled in classes, and steadfastly refused to ever write out that pledge at the top of any exam. The university could not find any signed paperwork where he promised he would follow it, so they decided they would have to proctor all of his exams.

I bet Princeton checks their admissions paperwork more carefully now.
 
ummmmm lol. I hope your school has the most lax honor code and scholastic integrity standards ever. I guess it must. You are certainly being blithe about behaviors that would easily result in academic dishonesty convictions at most universities...the sort of black mark on your record that causes 2304239103721 posts per year in pre-allo asking in panicked tones if such-and-such academic dishonesty convictions will really keep them out of medical school

Well, it's not that hard to avoid. You just have to be judgmental about who you share this stuff with and you don't have to worry about getting caught. Kind of simple really. The only way you can get caught is your blandly copy someone else's work.

Basically, don't deal with stupid people, and you can get away with an honor code and or scholastic integrity standards.

I am confused as to why a lot of you have a hard time understanding this, and probably would be the the most mistrustful in worth my time helping you in the littlest bit.
 
Well, it's not that hard to avoid. You just have to be judgmental about who you share this stuff with and you don't have to worry about getting caught. Kind of simple really. The only way you can get caught is your blandly copy someone else's work.

Basically, don't deal with stupid people, and you can get away with an honor code and or scholastic integrity standards.

I am confused as to why a lot of you have a hard time understanding this, and probably would be the the most mistrustful in worth my time helping you in the littlest bit.

Or, post about it online! Dummy!
I mean, as long as you are careful, you can pickpocket and rob convenience stores while you're at it. Just because you can get away with it, does not make it OK.

Or you can just have integrity and avoid being a sketchball.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The girl is seeking medical care, asylum, and/or hymen reconstruction surgery. What do you do?

Honestly, it's not my problem. If she is seriously in danger, then she should have made better decisions.

That said, I cannot offer her medical care (and do not see this as a medical issue). I cannot offer her asylum. And I cannot reconstruct the hymen. Given that this is a hospital environment, the only thing I am qualified to do is refer her to someone who can perform reconstructive surgery and tell her not to be an idiot in the future.
 
Or, post about it online! Dummy!

Haha, even on that note sharing site coursehero.com you still see names being attached to a lot of the stuff, whether it is homework assignment or one was just a copy of a whole test withe person's name still written on every page...Dah!!! You are doing it wrong!

:laugh:
 
I'm going to put forth a new topic for discussion.

You are working in a hospital environment. Your job requires you to wear a lab coat. During your break, you are approached by a young teenage couple. The female is clearly distressed. The male addresses you and asks you if you are a doctor. You reply, no, but can I assist you with something?
He then breaks out and tells you that the girls father is going to kill her if he finds out she is not a virgin. He suspects her of not being a virgin and is having a saudi arabian doctor examine her. (The family is of devout Muslim background, where such behavior is not tolerated). The girls father has participated in the execution another woman in the family for disgracing their name. The girl is seeking medical care, asylum, and/or hymen reconstruction surgery. What do you do?

GO!

You tell her to call the damn police. This has nothing to do with medical care. Hymen reconstruction is ridiculous. She shouldn't need to be terrified of her father finding out she is not a virgin. Whatever crazy **** the girl's father believes in is irrelevant. In this country/society it is unacceptable that she be in danger of physical harm for any reason, including having pre-marital sex.

If the bolded is true then why is this even an issue? He will be in jail (or already executed if this happened in Texas 😍).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.