Med students: which UG class is most like med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Little Etoile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. I'm thinking specifically in terms of content overlap and similarity. More like biochem? Anatomy? Fundamentals of bio?

Members don't see this ad.

None are similar. Nothing in undergrad can come close in similarity to the pace and level of detail of medical school. Most of the biology upper divisions have a small amount of content overlap, but you blow away any sort of material you learned in undergrad within a week of the class in medical school. In your BS years, you'll see anatomy, embryology, biochem, physiology, histology, microbiology, all classes you can take as an undergrad, but with different emphasis and a whole different level of intensity.

Since the question is "most like" and doesn't necessarily imply the level of workload being similar, I would have to say my molecular-cell bio class. Not that the material was in any way similar, but there were multiple professors going in and out and exam questions were based off of very minor, unpredictable details from the lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd say some upper level bio like embryology, but probly what you learn over a semester would be condensed to like 2 weeks in med school.

Since the question is "most like" and doesn't necessarily imply the level of workload being similar, I would have to say my molecular-cell bio class. Not that the material was in any way similar, but there were multiple professors going in and out and exam questions were based off of very minor, unpredictable details from the lectures.

Haha, spot on.