Mediastinal Anatomy

Started by KLPM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KLPM

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I first learnt gross anatomy the mediastinum was divided with the heart as the middle mediastinum and those in front and behind named accordingly. When I read the Felson's book the mediastinum is divided different using the lateral chest x ray (anterior behind in front of the trachea but behind the heart, posterior about 1ccm behind the anterior surface of vertabra),

In practice which one is used? Is this a purely academic question? I mean for instance in one classification the heart is in the anterior mediastinum in the other it's the middle. Honestly after thinking about it I think I like the Felson better mainly because similar structures seem to be lumped together in the same region.
 
Purely academic. When you see something that shouldn't be there, get a ct

If you need to pat your back for calling it on the plain film, follow felson.
 
Last edited by a moderator: