Med Student Anatomy Knowledge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baws

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not a resident but have spoken with numerous residents at my home program and at others about this issue. The expectations are fairly low for fresh R1s and they often get simpler studies (e.g. MSK plain films, chest x-rays, etc) on their initial rotations in order to get their bearings. They gradually move to more advanced studies and cross sectional imaging with further experience. I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially since you've shown the aptitude to learn the anatomy when needed and in a more structured setting.

I’m a fellow. Nobody knows anything when they start. Gross anatomy is way different than imaging anatomy. Once you learn the basics of each modality you will start to recognize structures more easily. No one expects a student or R1 to identify structures on MRI. You will be doing pretty good at first if you can guess which body part you’re looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)