Medical and Dental school (applying to both)

Started by 1AO KTG
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1AO KTG

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has ANYONE been successful in gaining acceptance to both? Or is that impossible? Dentistry is an excellent career, if one is boarder line for med. I really want to be a physician, that is my ultimate goal. At the same time I had 19 cavities my junior year of high school.(sweets at night in bed, to lazy to get back up, pitiful, I know) As a result I have spent a large amount of time in dental practices, had excruciating pain etc, and feel I could also really relate to my patients. I don't think I'll necessarily be boarder line as far as med school goes especially considering I'm an URM. However I feel very suited for either career. So whats wrong with me applying to both? Do I have a shot at getting in even though they ask if you are applying to other professional institutions?
 
Dental school is easier to get into than medical school.

Albeit they make more money faster.

The stats are generally lower for dental admissions. But... either way they are two COMPLETELY different professions.

Anyone pursuing both sets off my "gold digger money hungry fool" radar.

So... yeah. Pick one or the other.
 
Has ANYONE been successful in gaining acceptance to both? Or is that impossible? Dentistry is an excellent career, if one is boarder line for med. I really want to be a physician, that is my ultimate goal. At the same time I had 19 cavities my junior year of high school.(sweets at night in bed, to lazy to get back up, pitiful, I know) As a result I have spent a large amount of time in dental practices, had excruciating pain etc, and feel I could also really relate to my patients. I don't think I'll necessarily be boarder line as far as med school goes especially considering I'm an URM. However I feel very suited for either career. So whats wrong with me applying to both? Do I have a shot at getting in even though they ask if you are applying to other professional institutions?

Go to medical school.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dental school is easier to get into than medical school.

Albeit they make more money faster.

The stats are generally lower for dental admissions. But... either way they are two COMPLETELY different professions.

Anyone pursuing both sets off my "gold digger money hungry fool" radar.

So... yeah. Pick one or the other.

I guess that kind of answers my question. I'm not a gold digger I just like both careers even though they are different. However If that is the standard assumption I guess I have no choice but to go only for medical school. I just dont want to get rejected and be seen as a med school reject in the eyes of dental admissions if I decide to go that route in the following cycle.
 
you are going to take the DAT and the MCAT? good for you haha good luck, if you wanna do both then go for it.
 
AADSAS and AMCAS are separate application processes... they won't know if you don't tell them.

This 👍

The real question should be, can you juggle both admissions processes at the same time? I can't imagine why you would want to. Dentists are not 'MD-lite,' as other posters have mentioned, they're completely different careers.

Maybe it's time to get some more shadowing done so you can tell which career is better for you.
 
I'm not so sure that wanting to do both necessarily makes you a "gold digger". Dentists are still working to help others, albeit not by saving lives. Plus dentists typically have better hours --> more time for family. I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I don't actually disagree with the above posters.
 
Have you thought about actually getting both degrees? I shadowed a maxilofacial surgeon who had both an MD and a DDS and he did absolutely amazing things. Granted I don't want to spend my whole life poking in mouths and peeling back faces like he did, but if you're interested in the whole body but like dentistry a lot that is something to consider.
 
Have you thought about actually getting both degrees? I shadowed a maxilofacial surgeon who had both an MD and a DDS and he did absolutely amazing things. Granted I don't want to spend my whole life poking in mouths and peeling back faces like he did, but if you're interested in the whole body but like dentistry a lot that is something to consider.

I have considered that route, however that still seems like a dentistry career I would have to make my mind up on, rather than both. There are plenty of omfs out there without a MD.
 
What is wrong with pursuing a career for the money?

Money isn't my motivation, but I understand the logic of people with a financial motivation.

Right. Anyone in medicine ever tell you to make sure that you REALLY want to do medicine? Do you wonder why?

The money isn't THAT great for what you have to go through. Working 80 hour weeks for ~50K a year for 3+ years is super appealing. If money is your motivation for medicine... the well's already been tapped dry.

Most medical students in clerkship start to see what this is... you make sacrifices... you feel like you're missing out on something all the time. You lose sleep, don't eat right etc. I'd like to think I know what I'm getting myself into... but I still have this idealized vision of medicine, and frankly the potpourri covering the stank up, is probably going to fade when that blasted pager beeps at 3am interrupting this blue man's sleep.

So yeah, if you want money... do investment banking for a few years, then go work for a hedge fund or Kinder Morgan Management.

PS. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a living. It's just preferable that you do it while being happy too.
 
If your ultimate goal is to become a physician, why do you want to pursue dentistry. I don't think using dentistry as a fallback option is a good idea just because you may be borderline for medical schools.
 
Dental school is easier to get into than medical school.

Albeit they make more money faster.

The stats are generally lower for dental admissions. But... either way they are two COMPLETELY different professions.

Anyone pursuing both sets off my "gold digger money hungry fool" radar.

So... yeah. Pick one or the other.

there are much easier ways to make money... I see no problem in applying both. Both are noble professions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

I read that blog a while ago...very honest.

I have shadowed a physician that told me upfront that he went in medicine for the money. While he was reading x-rays, he was checking his stocks. Complete ******* (his dad is a cardio God, so all for sons got into med school without a sweat), but the lure of money is how me made it through medical school. That being said, money is the reason he likes sitting in a darkroom jacking off to the Dow Jones...

I think it depends on how strong your motivation is. To most physicians, service/helping others is the only way to justify the torture of med school.
 
I read that blog a while ago...very honest.

I have shadowed a physician that told me upfront that he went in medicine for the money. While he was reading x-rays, he was checking his stocks. Complete ******* (his dad is a cardio God, so all for sons got into med school without a sweat), but the lure of money is how me made it through medical school. That being said, money is the reason he likes sitting in a darkroom jacking off to the Dow Jones...

I think it depends on how strong your motivation is. To most physicians, service/helping others is the only way to justify the torture of med school.

I almost choked laughing on my water. :roflcopter:
 
I had 19 cavities my junior year of high school.(sweets at night in bed, to lazy to get back up, pitiful, I know)
36525.jpg
?
 
I'm broke, all the time, so I go to a student clinic at my school's dental school. It's pretty awesome, but on top of being cheap and excellent, I get to chat with a new dental student and his dental student friends every time I get my teeth cleaned.

They love it, in a way that I can't imagine loving it (wanting myself to go to medical school, but having had dental school cross my mind as a fall-back after all these extra science classes I just took). A lot of the guys admit that dental school was their second choice, having failed to get into med school. And they are lightning quick to add that they also get to study cranio-facial reconstructive surgery: ****ing badass.

Plus, like you say, it is a horrible experience, going to a dentist who tortures you with inadequate pain killers, bad drill bits, and bad practice. Being a good dentist could do a lot to dispel the assumption that dentists are just med school rejects. A great dentist is someone worth appreciating; and dental care is often as important to quality of life as medical care.

You should visit a dental school, now, before it's an issue of balancing the two tests and applications. Maybe it won't do. If not, then you have your motivation to push a little harder to make medical school a surer thing. But yeah, of course you could get into both, as long as you don't betray the fact that dentistry might be your safety.
 
Has ANYONE been successful in gaining acceptance to both? Or is that impossible? Dentistry is an excellent career, if one is boarder line for med. I really want to be a physician, that is my ultimate goal. At the same time I had 19 cavities my junior year of high school.(sweets at night in bed, toO lazy to get back up, pitiful, I know) As a result I have spent a large amount of time in dental practices, had excruciating pain etc, and feel I could also really relate to my patients. I don't think I'll necessarily be boarder line as far as med school goes especially considering I'm an URM. However I feel very suited for either career. So whats wrong with me applying to both? Do I have a shot at getting in even though they ask if you are applying to other professional institutions?

You can relate to your patients because you've had cavities?
I don't understand your logic. uh
If your ultimate goal is to be a physician, I feel like sdn's opinions would be extraneous...
 
I was reading somewhere that you can get into dental school and afterwards do a 6 year program/residency where you earn your MD. A lot of oral surgeons have both degrees.
 
You can relate to your patients because you've had cavities?
I don't understand your logic. uh
If your ultimate goal is to be a physician, I feel like sdn's opinions would be extraneous...
.
Uh, maybe you dont understand the logic because you haven't been there. Oh and uh, more than just cavities.
 
Right. Anyone in medicine ever tell you to make sure that you REALLY want to do medicine? Do you wonder why?

The money isn't THAT great for what you have to go through. Working 80 hour weeks for ~50K a year for 3+ years is super appealing. If money is your motivation for medicine... the well's already been tapped dry.

Most medical students in clerkship start to see what this is... you make sacrifices... you feel like you're missing out on something all the time. You lose sleep, don't eat right etc. I'd like to think I know what I'm getting myself into... but I still have this idealized vision of medicine, and frankly the potpourri covering the stank up, is probably going to fade when that blasted pager beeps at 3am interrupting this blue man's sleep.

So yeah, if you want money... do investment banking for a few years, then go work for a hedge fund or Kinder Morgan Management.

PS. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a living. It's just preferable that you do it while being happy too.

Money shouldn't be a defining factor towards pursuing a career in medicine, but if you're the person who has to pay his/her way during four years of medical school, then you have to worry about paying off loans in a reasonable amount of time. Far too frequently you see pre-meds bashing other people for their motivations, and more often than not, these bashers are people who have their parents helping them pay for college/medical school (and usually have little to zero financial sense). It's just funny reading posts with the gung-ho "I want to be a doctor because I like science and helping people" attitude. As if your reasons alone define why someone else would want to go to medicine. I certainly cannot wait until these people must deal with 200k+ in loans.

I think your little quip on automatically moving to investment banking as another option proves my point.

Agreed with the bolded.
 
Last edited:
I think your little quip on automatically moving to investment banking as another option proves my point.

It seems like anytime someone on this forum mentions making money as a doctor, someone brings up the whole investment banker thing. Is it really all that easy to become an investment banker? Becoming a successful hedge fund manger certainly isn't. I really don't know much about investment banking, but everyone on SDN seems to think it's a walk in the park, and making boatloads of money is a guarantee.
 
Has ANYONE been successful in gaining acceptance to both? Or is that impossible? Dentistry is an excellent career, if one is boarder line for med. I really want to be a physician, that is my ultimate goal. At the same time I had 19 cavities my junior year of high school.(sweets at night in bed, to lazy to get back up, pitiful, I know) As a result I have spent a large amount of time in dental practices, had excruciating pain etc, and feel I could also really relate to my patients. I don't think I'll necessarily be boarder line as far as med school goes especially considering I'm an URM. However I feel very suited for either career. So whats wrong with me applying to both? Do I have a shot at getting in even though they ask if you are applying to other professional institutions?

That's not laziness that is repulsive.
 
It seems like anytime someone on this forum mentions making money as a doctor, someone brings up the whole investment banker thing. Is it really all that easy to become an investment banker? Becoming a successful hedge fund manger certainly isn't. I really don't know much about investment banking, but everyone on SDN seems to think it's a walk in the park, and making boatloads of money is a guarantee.

You need to have super awesome stats to get there. Someone fresh out of ugrad with a 3.95+ at a "top" school will make $160,000 at Goldman-Sachs... in 2 years that person could be making 700K. It is not an "easy" job, they work 12-16 hour days.

But they are glorified mouse jockeys. Aka... click here, pass go and collect 2000 dollars.
 
You need to have super awesome stats to get there. Someone fresh out of ugrad with a 3.95+ at a "top" school will make $160,000 at Goldman-Sachs... in 2 years that person could be making 700K. It is not an "easy" job, they work 12-16 hour days.

But they are glorified mouse jockeys. Aka... click here, pass go and collect 2000 dollars.

Someone must have been cheating at monopoly.. 🙄
 
Hey never base life off of Monopoly! That game is very unrealistic. They throw around "get out of jail" free cards like paper in Monopoly, trust me, get out of jail free cards can run you up to $12000 in real life.
 
Hey never base life off of Monopoly! That game is very unrealistic. They throw around "get out of jail" free cards like paper in Monopoly, trust me, get out of jail free cards can run you up to $12000 in real life.

Michael Scott: How would that help, Creed? In Monopoly, you go bankrupt, you lose.

Creed: You don't go by Monopoly, man, that game is nuts! Nobody just picks up "get out of jail free" cards. Those things cost thousands!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One should never be "borderline" for medicine and apply to med school. Period.



Has ANYONE been successful in gaining acceptance to both? Or is that impossible? Dentistry is an excellent career, if one is boarder line for med. I really want to be a physician, that is my ultimate goal. At the same time I had 19 cavities my junior year of high school.(sweets at night in bed, to lazy to get back up, pitiful, I know) As a result I have spent a large amount of time in dental practices, had excruciating pain etc, and feel I could also really relate to my patients. I don't think I'll necessarily be boarder line as far as med school goes especially considering I'm an URM. However I feel very suited for either career. So whats wrong with me applying to both? Do I have a shot at getting in even though they ask if you are applying to other professional institutions?
 
I know someone who applied to many med and dental schools and got rejected from all except one.... that one being Northwestern dental school (talk about luck!). I'd say it was a decent choice for him to apply to dental as well (he never really cared for medicine btw, it was mostly his parents decision).
 
That's not laziness that is repulsive.

+100000000

Not sure if it's been said before here, but the only reason people go into joint degree programs like MD/DMD (or any variation DO, DDS etc...) is to become a maxillofacial surgeon which is usually 6 years of professional schooling + a lot of residency/fellowship work.

Choose one, learn to brush your teeth and lay off the soda.
 
Please don't judge people so hastily. Money is a motivation for a lot of people to go into Medicine. If doctors were paid ~$70-80k/year, the competition wouldn't be as tough as it is now.
 
Dental school is easier to get into than medical school.

Albeit they make more money faster.

The stats are generally lower for dental admissions. But... either way they are two COMPLETELY different professions.

I disagree.
People often say that dental school is less competitive than medical school, but I beg to differ. I think that getting accepted into dental schools is as difficult if not more difficult than medical school. I may be wrong on this, if so I'd love to hear someone else's opinion.

Dental schools do have a lower average GPA ~3.55 while medical schools generally hovers around ~3.65. So most people would argue that medical school is more competitive.

However, when I think about what is more or less competitive I think that the % of people who apply that enroll is a better indicator of competitiveness. Since there are only around 56 dental schools (which is not going to increase in the near future) the % of people who apply that enroll is ~38% while medical school is ~44%. This is not even including DO schools. The fact that the number of medical schools is increasing for expected physician need in the future would also increase the chances. Not to mention more and more people are getting interested in dentistry without new schools starting up.
 
Dental schools do have a lower average GPA ~3.55 while medical schools generally hovers around ~3.65. So most people would argue that medical school is more competitive.

However, when I think about what is more or less competitive I think that the % of people who apply that enroll is a better indicator of competitiveness. Since there are only around 56 dental schools (which is not going to increase in the near future) the % of people who apply that enroll is ~38% while medical school is ~44%. This is not even including DO schools. The fact that the number of medical schools is increasing for expected physician need in the future would also increase the chances. Not to mention more and more people are getting interested in dentistry without new schools starting up.

But looking at the average GPA, the dental matriculants are, as a group, less competitive than MD school matriculants? So based only on GPA, the average MD applicant would have a better chance than an average dental applicant at dental school.

Anyways, I think comparing the two is kind of meaningless.
 
But looking at the average GPA, the dental matriculants are, as a group, less competitive than MD school matriculants? So based only on GPA, the average MD applicant would have a better chance than an average dental applicant at dental school.

Anyways, I think comparing the two is kind of meaningless.

There's LESS dental school applicants, than there is medical school applicants.
Source AADSAS and AMCAS... too lazy to link.

Lots of private and public dental schools out there. No shortage of dentists on the horizon.
 
You need to have super awesome stats to get there. Someone fresh out of ugrad with a 3.95+ at a "top" school will make $160,000 at Goldman-Sachs... in 2 years that person could be making 700K. It is not an "easy" job, they work 12-16 hour days.

But they are glorified mouse jockeys. Aka... click here, pass go and collect 2000 dollars.

my boyfriend just finished his internship at a top bank. he signed his job offer and he's making a boatload of money right out of school. it was definitely NOT an easy process, and i wish people would stop acting like it's oh so easy to just switch gears and do ibanking (i know you're showing otherwise, but i quoted you, sorry lol). he has a 4.2 from our school (ivy league, and i saw his handbook of other interns - 95% are from ivies, the other 5% are from other tops) and he worked many days from 9 am to 2 or 3 am just to get up and do it all again the next day, and many weeks included saturday hours. i saw him maybe 10 hours total each week, if that, and he slept for most of that. it is definitely not easy to keep up and it's also extremely difficult to even get a position in ibanking.

sorry, i just hate when people are like "oh go be an investment banker, you'll make money faster and it's easier!". i could never do it because i'd be bored to tears, but it's still hard to get into. if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.
 
I'm slightly skeptical of your intentions applying to medical and dental school considering your avatar is a lamborghini
 
There's LESS dental school applicants, than there is medical school applicants.
Source AADSAS and AMCAS... too lazy to link.

Lots of private and public dental schools out there. No shortage of dentists on the horizon.

Code Bleu, you are correct yet incorrect. There were 42,000 applicants for 18000 seats in 2008 (MD)
There were 12,000 applications for 4000 seats (DDS/DMD)
the ratio for acceptance is similar in both.
AAMCAS and ADEA have these figures.

Its not about the number of applicants...its about the ratio of the applicants to the seats...
There are 128 medical schools and 56 dental schools...
And just for the record, not everyone in dental school chose it as a secondary profession. Most of us actually do like it a lot more than all the others out there..
 
AAMC (MD) 2009 average gpa of Matriculants: 3.66
2009 Total Applicants: 42,269
2009 Total Enrollees: 18,390
2009 acceptance ratio: 44%

AACOM (DO) 2005 average gpa of Matriculants: 3.44
Could not find acceptance ratio for DO.

ADEA (DDS/DMD) 2009 average gpa of Matriculants: 3.54
2009 Total Applicants: 11,632
2009 Total Enrollees: 4,067
2009 acceptance ratio: 35%


The average GPA needed to become a physician (when MD and DO area averaged together) is about the same as to become a dentist (DDS).


*note AACOM website does not have published data for 2009, but given that average GPA did not fluctuate significantly for MD or DDS/DMD between 2005-2009, I will assume the same for DO.
*note this does not include average GPA for caribbean schools which would likely bring the average MD GPA down.

Because the criteria for admission to dental school or medical school involves more than just GPA, and the acceptance ratio is lower for dental school than medical school, it is impossible to say that "medical school is harder to get into than dental school".
 
If you want to do both, then go for it. Dont let any naysayers get in your way. Live your life the way you want to. When I recruited physicians and pharmacists, I came across SEVERAL that were BOTH Physicians AND Pharmacists. I asked them why didn't they do one or the other, they said they liked the flexibility in doing PRN as a Pharmacist and working shifts as a Physician. It gave them time to actually earn money while traveling and having a life. They basically worked when they wanted to work. If you want to do that and you have the dedication, then do it.
 
AAMC (MD) 2009 average gpa of Matriculants: 3.66
2009 Total Applicants: 42,269
2009 Total Enrollees: 18,390
2009 acceptance ratio: 44%

AACOM (DO) 2005 average gpa of Matriculants: 3.44
Could not find acceptance ratio for DO.

ADEA (DDS/DMD) 2009 average gpa of Matriculants: 3.54
2009 Total Applicants: 11,632
2009 Total Enrollees: 4,067
2009 acceptance ratio: 35%


The average GPA needed to become a physician (when MD and DO area averaged together) is about the same as to become a dentist (DDS).


*note AACOM website does not have published data for 2009, but given that average GPA did not fluctuate significantly for MD or DDS/DMD between 2005-2009, I will assume the same for DO.
*note this does not include average GPA for caribbean schools which would likely bring the average MD GPA down.

Because the criteria for admission to dental school or medical school involves more than just GPA, and the acceptance ratio is lower for dental school than medical school, it is impossible to say that "medical school is harder to get into than dental school".

I think it is implied that people are referring to US MD schools when making the comparison with dental admissions.