Medical Assisting, Anyone??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donnap86

Wanne be MD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got 3 yrs left as an undergrad and no experience in the clinical field. They offer online 1 year certificate programs in medical assisting leaving me with a good 2 years of experience with plenty of volunteer hours within the next year. Right now I'm working in sales and learning absolutely nothing useful for the future and I'm really considering this. It would look great on my med school apps along with volunteering and some DIS etc. Does anyone think this is a great idea? :idea: Is anyone doing/ has done this or is this too much?

Members don't see this ad.

I did it without any kind of certification or experience. I didn't even know how to take blood pressure. It was a good thing to talk about during interviews but a really ****ty job and you're probably not going to learn anything useful for the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did was a certified medical assistant back in high school. For me, it was a great experience. The program I was in allowed be to do an internship at a doctors office, which hired me after the program was complete. Any experience is what you make of it. For me personally, I drew blood, gave injections/immun., basic vital signs and helped the PA with simple procedures when the doctors werent there.

Do whatever makes you happy and always take the initiative to do more because only then you'll get want you want.

yeah i sound cheesy hehe
take care

I recieved a nursing assistant certification which only took about two weeks (I did it over winter break). One week was classroom and few days of clinical in either a hospital or nursing home. You learn how to take vitals and other basic stuff (so much fun foley catheter care, wound care, etc.). Then that following Feb we were tested by the state. You def. pass. Then I got a job as a clinical asst. in the ICU. Since I was a prospective med student they loved me! I have learned SOOOO MUCH about medicine, hospital dynamics, patient-doc relations, and well just about everything else. I have seen the worst necrotizing fascitis (flesh eating disease) case on the east coast, I have witnessed death as well as healing. I say go for it! It will either reaffirm your love for medicine or once on the inside you may realize it is not for you. If you have any other questions PM me.

Good Luck!