Medical College of Georgia Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCG Anes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been a lot of changes over the last decade and most have been positive. I think this program is poised to become more than just a solid place where you can learn anesthesia.

In terms of schedule, a typical day begins by about 6:00am or 6:30am setting up your room depending on if there is a conference that morning (will come in 6am if conference is 6:15). The OR start time is 7:30 am. The exception to this is Monday, which is Grand Rounds (including Journal Club and M&M) and begins at 6am and goes until 8am, with OR start times at 8:30am. So on Monday you will arrive at about 5:40am to set up. You will get a 15 min break in the am, a 30 min break for lunch, and a 15min break in the afternoon (sometimes). The average time that people go home is 5pm. Anytime that you stay after 5pm you earn $50/hr which is awesome. There is plenty of opportunity for those eager to make extra money to do so and for those who like to leave to go home.

There are 2 designated late (CA-1) residents per week whose job is to come in at 11am and give lunches, and then in turn they stay late and get residents and CRNAs out of cases at 5pm (there are also designated CRNAs who are scheduled to leave at 7pm rather than 5pm so not all the CRNAs get to leave early). They also do preops for add-ons and for inpatients scheduled for CRNA's for the next day (we have a preop clinic that does preops for all outpatients). Usually, if its not busy then one of the late residents will go home early(anywhere from 8 to 10pm), leaving the nightfloat upper level resident with the other CA1 until the nighttime CRNA comes at 11pm and the CA1 then goes home. CA1s do not generally take call during the weekdays. There is a CA2 or CA3 that do night float (6pm to 7am so not bad at all) for a week at a time Sunday to Thursday (the weekends have a separate call schedule). As mentioned before, there is a nightime CRNA that comes in at 11pm during the weekdays when the late residents go home. So overnight during the week there is a nightfloat resident and a CRNA. The nightfloat resident carries the code pager and preops any add on cases. The CRNA sets up the room while the resident preops them and discusses with the attending and then the CRNA does the case. The nightfloat resident does any level 1 traumas or big cases that occur at night along with doing any code/floor intubations.

There is a weekend call schedule which is overall not bad and most people average 1 or possibly 2 call weekends per month (meaning that they are on call 1 day during the Fri/Sat/Sun period; not the whole weekend)

CA1s start out in the main OR in July (June if they are categorical and do intern year at MCG) and work 1:1 with senior residents or an attending for the 1st month. By the end of the month they are flying solo with an attending. I think this rapid progression and autonomy is a huge advantage of our program. They will hold your hand if you need it, but unless you do they will let you have a lot of room to breath. By the time you are a senior you can pretty much run the show and attendings have a great amount of trust in the upper levels.

We also begin doing subspecialty rotations later during CA1 year which is awesome and can include anything from CT if the attendings feel you are ready, to peds, chronic and acute pain, OB, SICU, etc. We also do an off campus prison rotation which is a pretty light month that everyone likes. Our main OR includes neuro and ENT so this is considered bread and butter for us. One advantage of this program is that everything is in one hospital so you don't have to go around to many different sites except for the prison. There is talk, however, of sending us to more of a private practice setting so that we can get a chance to experience the pace. We also have a VA attached to our hospital that we used to rotate at about 10 or more years ago. They pulled us out of there because we were being used more for cheap labor and were not being taught much. Since that time there is new leadership at the VA and there is also talk of us going back over to the VA.

We have added several fantastic regional guys over the last few years as well and so we get good block experience during this rotation.

We are a level I trauma facility, and we get a surprising amount of trauma for what you would expect for Augusta, so we get fairly well prepared in that regard as well.

In terms of weaknesses, we used to have a lot more volume of OB. From talking with our seniors, they are still able to get the required number of epidurals, but the volume is not like it used to be. Also, the hours can be intense on rotations such as SICU where it is Q3 or sometime Q4 call. OB can also be hit or miss depending on the night.

Overall, I am very happy here as are my colleagues. There are always some complainers (which coming from surgery, I feel are more prevalent in anesthesia), but overall everyone is for the most part happy.

All residents are given ipads (they are going to ipad minis next because of portability in the OR). These are a tremendous asset as we have probably the most extensive library that you will find of any program out there. We have every major textbook all in portable format for the ipad (baby miller, miller, barash, cote peds, cottrell neuro, stoelting, evidence based anesthesia, Kaplan cardiac, chestnut OB, ICU textbooks, pain and TEE atlases, and just about every other textbook you could want), we also have an immense amount of other resources, ITE reviews, various mp3's, ACE Q's, etc, that many programs may or may not have. We are also given $1500 educational money that can be used on conferences (they pay outside of this fund for any conference we present at) or additional resources.

Our program uses Cerner powerchart for electronic medical record and CompuRecord for intraop. These systems are fairly easy to use and the CompuRecord makes intraop charting very easy.

Lectures and teaching used to be a problem. There is still some room for improvement, but not by much. Currently the didactics include a month long intro for CA's where they go through baby miller during their first month in the OR. The lecture is everday at 4pm and is given by faculty covering a chapter or 2 in baby miller. After this, regular didactics start which include grand rounds on monday 6-8am. On tuesdays and thursdays there are keywords given by residents from 6:15 to 6:45. On wednesdays alternating there is jeopardy style question board questions where the program is split into 3 teams and the winner at the end of the year goes out to dinner somewhere nice. The other wednesdays there is a mock oral board review where the senior residents are grilled in true oral board style while the juniors watch. Also mixed in on various other wednesdays are ACE question review sessions. There are never any lectures on fridays.

The faculty (many of whom are new within the last several years) are really pretty good about teaching. Sometimes you have to be proactive with some attendings, but this is true for any program. There are also a few attendings who will show you their special way to do everything and are very hands on. These few attendings are very smart and teach a lot, but its not always pleasant because they are so anal. There is a huge opportunity for research here at MCG. Several of our faculty and one resident have there own basic science labs with big NIH funding and other grants. Also, the other faculty, especially the CT and ICU faculty are very robust in clinical research. It is therefore very easy to get involved with some kind of project. In fact, our residency program had many poster presentations and abstracts to this years ASA in San Francisco rivaling many programs. Our residency program is very active in local and national politics. We make up a large portion of the residents elected to the GSA, and we even had a resident elected this year as a delegate to the ASA, so we are very involved in what is going on locally and nationally with anesthesiology.

I am coming from a much larger city, but I find Augusta has much to offer. The warm weather suits me well. Here it is October and we are still wearing shorts and t-shirts. The golf is huge here (masters) and we definitely have time to take advantage of some of the beautiful courses (now if only I could jump the fence into augusta national). The southern food here definitely grows on you, just look at peoples' waistlines. My wife is also happy, they have a mall with just about every store that she could want (minus a nordstrom), they even have an Apple store. There are enough restaurants, and there is a lot of activities such as the riverwalk, kayaking down the canal, local fairs, did I mention golf, etc. It may not be as wild with the bar/club scene as some big cities, but there is definitely some fun to be had downtown, as I can attest since I was given the green light a few times by my wife to go out with the guys.

Overall this is more than a solid program with great all around clinical experience, an immense amount of resources, more than decent didactics, and willing faculty. About 12 years or so ago this program was struggling. At that time they brought in a new chair and PD from MGH and over this time they made much progress in turning this place around. We are very close to having a truly top notch program. At this time the administration believes it is time for some fresh perspective in order to bring this program to the next level. Our chair has decided to step down and pursue interests in politics and healthcare reform. As such, we are in the process of selecting a new chair and I am very optimistic of what this program will be able to achieve next. If you come here you can be assured that you will be trained well and there is also a great opportunity to help make the program excellent.

I'd be happy to answer any questions and would encourage people to check us out.

Members don't see this ad.

Considering the place just lost it's chairman, and there are FIVE open faculty positions open if not more, they are actively recruiting a new chairman. Not certain this is where you want to be despite the post above

Considering the place just lost it's chairman, and there are FIVE open faculty positions open if not more, they are actively recruiting a new chairman. Not certain this is where you want to be despite the post above

Jeffblue, to respond to your post above as well as your PM (although it sounds like you are more interested in stirring things up than seeking an answer), I'm a resident, and not involved with all the behind the scenes decision making that goes on in a running a residency program. However, as stated above, the overall feeling is that it was time for some new perspective, to keep things from getting complacent. As such, it was time for new leadership. I'm not sure what number of faculty are currently being recruited but I can tell you that the ones we do have are overall very good. I believe that we are making good progress as a program, that we are solid and on the right track to becoming excellent. The purpose of this thread was give a recent perspective to those applicants considering our program. I think my review above in an accurate portrayal of our program. Again, I welcome applicants to check us out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been meaning to join and when i saw your post I joined to respond. I'm not trying to stir anything. Just responding to your post. Everything you say may be very very true but the fact still remains that they are advertising for a new chairman, pluss five or six faculty. The name of the place has changed twice in the past few years and it's in AUGUSTA. I mean seriously. Am i saying anything that is not true? Does a resident want to be around with all these changes are taking place? Who do you think suffers when this much change happens?

I've been meaning to join and when i saw your post I joined to respond. I'm not trying to stir anything. Just responding to your post. Everything you say may be very very true but the fact still remains that they are advertising for a new chairman, pluss five or six faculty. The name of the place has changed twice in the past few years and it's in AUGUSTA. I mean seriously. Am i saying anything that is not true? Does a resident want to be around with all these changes are taking place? Who do you think suffers when this much change happens?

Hey, Jeffblue, I get it, we have an interim chair. I stated this in my original post. The interim chair is a great guy who will keep us heading in the right direction. I believe that this will be a good thing for the program. And name changes happen when you have a larger organization encompassing multiple entities, therefore we are now the Medical College of Georgia within the Georgia Regents University. It still seems that you have an axe to grind, and I stand by everything in my original post, including the part about Augusta.

No axe to grind at all. I'm from the area orginally. Been hearing about that place since it was called Eugene Talmadge Memorial Hospital. All I know, that much turnover in such a short period of time is a red flag. I could be very wrong, but i dont think I am. BUt I'm glad you're happy. For all I know, you could be the program director him/herself.

No axe to grind at all. I'm from the area orginally. Been hearing about that place since it was called Eugene Talmadge Memorial Hospital. All I know, that much turnover in such a short period of time is a red flag. I could be very wrong, but i dont think I am. BUt I'm glad you're happy. For all I know, you could be the program director him/herself.
Fair enough. These are definitely things for applicants to be aware of and why they were mentioned. However, I am here to tell people that you will get good training here at MCG. Moreover, in an environment where you will work with an awesome group of residents as well as attendings. More than that, there is opportunity to become a part of a program that you can make a difference in and be proud of. Also, I'm definitely not the PD, but she is pretty great. And I guess I should mention that she is also the interim PD. Like I said, we are poised to make some good changes here at MCG and with fresh perspective. Come check us out.

Oh, so the program director is interim as well? WHy interim? The story gets better. More red flags. Was the chair the PD? You can get good training many places but life may not be the grandest. Who put you up to this, just out of curiosity?

All programs go through stages where there is transition of leadership. This is what we are going through right now. The prior PD is still here and he is actively involved in the program. However, there is a concious effort going on right now to really refine the program. The interim leadership are both faculty that have been with the program for a while and have its best interest at heart, and are exactly the right people for the position. The response to feedback by the administration, the willingness of the faculty and residents to look out for the development of the program, and the overall efforts that are being made is something that is difficult to really convey on an internet forum, but there is definitely a positive change that is happening here.

Jeff,

When there is smoke, there is fire. I highly doubt the "MCG Anes" poster is a resident. Sounds more like a faculty member that works for the interim chairman, trying to make the place look better. It is also possible the "interim chairman" bullied a resident into writing this review. Do you really think the previous chairman left because he "wanted to into healthcare reform"? This sounds like propaganda.

I am a former medical student from the Medical College of Georgia. I have met various faculty and residents from this program. Therefore, I have a good amount of "inside" information concerning this program. Besides offering this information about myself, I would like to remain anonymous. Suffice it to say, I have avoided this program like the plague. Notice how almost no medical students from MCG attend this anesthesiology program.

There is a ton of turnover due to the environment being malignant. Most of the old faculty have left due to the previous chairman being quite malignant. From what I understand, the current interim chairman is no better (probably worse). They are unable to recruit faculty that are not H1B Visa holders. This is the main reason there are 5 or 6 open spots for faculty alone. Many of the previous faculty left for private practice positions at hospitals in the area, moved to the VA or transferred out of the area.

The program has a very high board failure rate (>50% for many years). Their chief residents frequently fail the board exams.

Cardiac experience is very poor and malignant. I have been told by multiple sources that the head of CT (who is now the interim chairman) frequently would grab his private parts on rounds while berating residents and medical students. The cardiac numbers are so low that they often need the residents to count pediatric cardiac cases for their ACGME requirements. The training is quite substandard.

The OB is quite light as well. Residents should do far more than their required number of lumbar epidurals on their OB rotations, which is far from the case at this program.

In past years, the program would frequently hold back residents for 6 month periods. I would not attend a program that holds such a high number of residents back for 6 months. These residents have a scarlet letter on their applications when they apply for licensing.

The only positives about the program include good pediatric training (they seem to do a lot of pediatric cardiac cases as well). They also have decent general and pain training.

Hopefully, the next chairman really cleans this place up. Would like to see the programs associated with MCG being top notch and not third rate.

Thanks for confirming what basically everyone has heard over the years jim. MCG is basically the only program in the south that I didnt even bother applying to. And I dont think there's anyone reading this thats naive enough to think that MCG Anes is actually a resident. "there is opportunity to become a part of a program that you can make a difference in and be proud of," is a complete BS admin line. I interviewed at a med-prelim that was recruiting their first ever class and I heard the chair use this line at least 10 times.

Last edited:
I recently interviewed at MCG program, and being a student at MCG, I wanted to mention couple of things about what I felt about MCG program.

PROS: I feel like MCG is going in the right direction. Yes, they have interim chair and residency director but interim chairman is very resident friendly and they are changing many things such as increasing resident benefits, paying for board exams, having more lectures and mock exams for residents so they can be ready for their boards and many more stuffs that I can't remember. They seem to have great resident and faculty relationships and interim chairman actually listens to what residents has to say. I have not grasp all the details about changes they are making but this is how I felt.
Yes, some faculties are from foreign countries but they are all young and really likes to teach. They will sit down and explain things to you if you don't seem to understand what they are explaining. (not mean way but nicely)

CONS: Interim chairman - they are looking for a replacement not b/c current chairman is inadequate but he does not want be a chairman. I've heard from one of the chief resident that he came across chairman and vice-chairman in local restaurant and they wanted him to chime in on what he think that needs to be done to make the residency program better. (that story made me think that the chairman and vice-chairman are really trying hard to make the program better and willing to listen what residents has to say)
Interim residency PD - I think she will become permanent PD soon, all the residents seems to like her. I've worked with her couple of times and she seems to care about residents and their education.
Low heart cases - I can't mention much about it but when I was working in SICU, we've had 1-2 cardiac cases per day and they are in process of hiring more CT surgeons. I also heard they are in process of getting new robots for CT surgeons.

Bottom line is that I also thought MCG anesthesia program is one of the weak program and was in bottom of my rank list but after interviewing and listening to changes they are going through, I think I will rank MCG higher than I thought I was going to.

po
I have been told by multiple sources that the head of CT (who is now the interim chairman) frequently would grab his private parts on rounds while berating residents and medical students. .

LOL!!! That is some funny stuff. Talk about un professional if its true.

"Hey I told you to replace to potassium! Why didn't you do it?" grab.. grab.. look at me grab grab... look at me... grab grab.. change the vent settings.. grab grab... or ill make you do six months over.. grab grab grab..... look at me when I'm talking to you.. grab grab grab..
Thank you Jim for clarifying that for the folks applying for residency.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Jeff,

The last chairman was likely pushed out. Why would someone leave a chairman position and go into "healthcare reform". Have you ever heard of this before? How many chairman leave their positions abruptly to "advocate for healthcare reform" without having an actual job?

It is quite amusing listening to the stories about the new "interim chairman". The dude would literally grab his junk in front of everyone, including females, multiple times a day while on rounds. He has some kind of social disorder. It is surprising that he hasn't been written up for this. Residents, nurses and medical students would joke about this frequently.

When residents are routinely left back for 6 month periods, how can you claim that this program is run by a "resident advocate".

I find it hard to believe that "Gass" is an actual medical student. I have never heard real life residents or medical students talking this positively about the program. Notice how his account was just created recently. Wouldn't doubt that he is the same poster as "MCG Anesth" trying to spread propaganda. Even residents who are positive about the program admit its litany of faults.

Since you are from the area, ask former residents from the program in real life off the record. Or former faculty members. See whose opinions are closer to reality.

The facts are quite simple. The board failure rates are very high ( for many years >50%, including many former chief residents), the cardiac number are very low (maybe it changed in the last year?), there is poor OB experience, it is a malignant environment where residents were held back routinely for 6 month periods, etc.

Why would you want to train at this program if you had any other choices?

That is why I never applied here as a medical student.

Just my two cents.

Jim,

Oh yeah, you are spot on. Is that what happened? Healthcare reform,, puh-leez. What is he/she working for obama, trying to get the website working? As I said, Im from the area and was told to avoid the place 14 years ago. And throughout the years it's been the same old mess. Just diff names.

I find it hard to believe that "Gass" is an actual medical student. I have never heard real life residents or medical students talking this positively about the program. Notice how his account was just created recently. Wouldn't doubt that he is the same poster as "MCG Anesth" trying to spread propaganda.

Actually, Gass's grammar is significantly worse than that of MCGAnes; I'm wondering if Gass isn't one of those "new young foreign faculty." ;)

Jay K, Gass's command of the English language appears quite poor. Sounds like a foreign faculty member. Very perceptive.

ILDestriero you should go for it. They need someone to turn the place around.

ILDestriero you should go for it. They need someone to turn the place around.
Judging from his response to the other thread about getting rid of marginal residents (by graduating them) and "don't call for a reference", sounds like he/she would be PERFECT for MCG, he/she would fit right in.

My point in that thread was that you need to identify problems and remediate residents while in training not keep deadbeats on longer. That is one of the reasons for flushing out the competencies and refocusing on education. Identifying clear competency requirements and appropriate milestones per year of training insures you graduate a fully and correctly trained anesthesiologist and can show they met clear established milestones. They also get that feedback as they go, so there should be none of the "what do you mean I'm on double secret probation" or "why was I fired" threads. This should be easier for us in anesthesia than many other fields. You absolutely do not want to have residents getting extended. You don't want to punish them and potentially hurt their career with an extension, you want their issues identified early, clearly remediated, and corrected to meet identified minimum standards. The idea that a program would want to extend marginal residents for another 6 months to take advantage of cheap labor is nonsensical.
And yes, if you're marginal and remediate, you don't want me to write you a LOR, and I've told people that before. (Though in a kinder way)

If your program isn't developing these required competencies, they're behind the power curve.
The other nonsense with deadbeat attendings, multiple openings, probable poor pay, etc is the result of a long standing leadership problem. Right the ship, right staff the schedule, fix the residency, define priorities and move forward. You need outside leadership for that kind of change. And a commitment from the top to support and encourage change. They'll make zero progress with interim leadership. In fact they'll probably move the wrong way by by making small changes to appease folks instead of addressing the big issues that have to be dealt with to facilitate change.

Jay K, Jim Rodgers, and Jeffblue. Pardon my grammar, I wasn't planning on submitting my response to English professor for a grade or submit for an abstract.
Despite by my grammatically poorly written post, I am glad that you guys read my post and received the message.
It is your choice to believe it or not, I just wanted to mention how I felt about the program from my latest experience.

I don't know what happened within the anesthesia department in the past and whether interim chair of CT surgery grabs his private part during rounds or not but I gave you all my honest opinion and I only wrote what I saw and heard about the program.
Also, I am 100% sure that I'm still a medical student there.

I also think that it is kind of rude to automatically assume that the post is written by a foreign faculty just by looking at the grammar error.
I don't know what kind of grudge you all have against MCG anesthesia (maybe didn't get accepted, didn't receive interview invite, or got pimped pretty hard during your rotation. I don't know because I wasn't there) but I think there is difference between writing your opinions and being unprofessional.

Jay K, Jim Rodgers, and Jeffblue. Pardon my grammar, I wasn't planning on submitting my response to English professor for a grade or submit for an abstract.
Despite by my grammatically poorly written post, I am glad that you guys read my post and received the message.
It is your choice to believe it or not, I just wanted to mention how I felt about the program from my latest experience.

I don't know what happened within the anesthesia department in the past and whether interim chair of CT surgery grabs his private part during rounds or not but I gave you all my honest opinion and I only wrote what I saw and heard about the program.
Also, I am 100% sure that I'm still a medical student there.

I also think that it is kind of rude to automatically assume that the post is written by a foreign faculty just by looking at the grammar error.
I don't know what kind of grudge you all have against MCG anesthesia (maybe didn't get accepted, didn't receive interview invite, or got pimped pretty hard during your rotation. I don't know because I wasn't there) but I think there is difference between writing your opinions and being unprofessional.
I never commented on your grammar ever. Apology accepted.

IlDesterio, I agree with your post. Remediation should be clear and concise. However, from what I've heard, their extensions are quite arbitrary. They often graduate people who have horrible ITE scores. This is why their board failure rates are through the roof. It is more of a popularity contest rather than a true skill assessment or knowledge assessment.

Residents whose residencies are extended often pass their boards while the people who become chief residents often fail. Does this make sense? Chief residents should almost never fail the boards. This shows a very poor program. If your chief residents regularly fail the boards (either written or oral), how well can they be "remediating" their residents?

Remediation appears to be more of an arbitrary punishment rather than an educational tool to benefit the resident in either knowledge or skills. Obviously, the program does a very poor job of imparting knowledge with such high board failure rates. Furthermore, how many skills can they acquire with such low cardiac volume and OB volume?

Gass, it wasn't a grammar problem. Your post was basically illiterate. I don't remember fellow medical students having such poor command of the English language. Your newest post appears to have dramatically improved from that standpoint. Hopefully, someone didn't help you write it.

As a former medical student at MCG, everyone who has rotated through their anesthesia department knew about these rumors. You haven't heard about the cardiac numbers? You haven't heard about the loss of faculty? You haven't heard about arbitrary extensions of training?

I question you being a medical student due your falsely positive post, which seems to lack any mention of common knowledge about the program known to most medical students at MCG. MCG Anesth's post were obviously written by a faculty member.

I have no grudge about "not being accepted into MCG Anesthesia". Trust me, I have been accepted into more prestigious programs with much higher board scores. I am just correcting the nonsense that has been posted on this website about "MCG almost being a top program".

MCG is basically the worst program in the South. It isn't difficult getting accepted to that program due to its low board scores. I just chose not to be a resident there.

It will require a dramatic shift in leadership to allow that Titanic of a program to become seaworthy again. The place needs a new captain.

Jim you have done a great service in informing people about the past reputation of the program. I see mcg anes has not and probably will not respond.
IlDesterio, I agree with your post. Remediation should be clear and concise. However, from what I've heard, their extensions are quite arbitrary. They often graduate people who have horrible ITE scores. This is why their board failure rates are through the roof. It is more of a popularity contest rather than a true skill assessment or knowledge assessment.

Residents whose residencies are extended often pass their boards while the people who become chief residents often fail. Does this make sense? Chief residents should almost never fail the boards. This shows a very poor program. If your chief residents regularly fail the boards (either written or oral), how well can they be "remediating" their residents?

Remediation appears to be more of an arbitrary punishment rather than an educational tool to benefit the resident in either knowledge or skills. Obviously, the program does a very poor job of imparting knowledge with such high board failure rates. Furthermore, how many skills can they acquire with such low cardiac volume and OB volume?

Gass, it wasn't a grammar problem. Your post was basically illiterate. I don't remember fellow medical students having such poor command of the English language. Your newest post appears to have dramatically improved from that standpoint. Hopefully, someone didn't help you write it.

As a former medical student at MCG, everyone who has rotated through their anesthesia department knew about these rumors. You haven't heard about the cardiac numbers? You haven't heard about the loss of faculty? You haven't heard about arbitrary extensions of training?

I question you being a medical student due your falsely positive post, which seems to lack any mention of common knowledge about the program known to most medical students at MCG. MCG Anesth's post were obviously written by a faculty member.

I have no grudge about "not being accepted into MCG Anesthesia". Trust me, I have been accepted into more prestigious programs with much higher board scores. I am just correcting the nonsense that has been posted on this website about "MCG almost being a top program".

MCG is basically the worst program in the South. It isn't difficult getting accepted to that program due to its low board scores. I just chose not to be a resident there.

It will require a dramatic shift in leadership to allow that Titanic of a program to become seaworthy again. The place needs a new captain.

No problem Jeff.

Didn't want medical students in the match to get a false impression of the program.

Since you're from the area, you know the truth as well.

Any new opinions/information/insight from current residents regarding the program?

Can anybody comment on the current status of this program? Has a new chair stepped in? Considering doing residency training here because I'm from nearby, but very concerned about the negative PR this program has gotten in the past.

I happened upon this thread serendipitously and signed up just so I can set the record straight. I'm currently a CA-1 here. The hospital is in the process of being renamed to Augusta University Health (or Augusta U. Medical Center), so changes and confusion definitely still abound in this institution. You may also know us as Medical College of Georgia (MCG Health), Georgia Regents University (GR Health or GRMC), or Georgia Health Sciences University. The days of Talmadge are far before my time, so you probably won't see that one anywhere. The new official name is Augusta University Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, but I don't know which name will be listed in ERAS since it takes a while for those gears to turn.

Anyway, if you're a medical student trying to find information about us, the original post by MCG Anes still contains a lot of accurate, relevant info...Some notable changes:

-CRNA/AA comes in at 9p on weeknights rather than 11p, and we recently started having a CRNA/AA come in on weekend nights (7p-7a). This definitely helps with workflow.

-There have also been major changes with the didactics, and this has still been evolving over the past year. We currently have Mon/Tues lectures at 6a , usually focused on a subspecialty topics or board review. We have Grand Rounds on Mon at 7a. We have M&M in its place once a month. On Wed we have a lecture at 4p and usually get pizza. We are working on incorporating regularly scheduled simulation time on Monday mornings after GR, but this has not been consistent yet due to the faculty being stretched a little thin.

-Extra duty pay: this is now not available to CA-1's (unfortunately for me). You must have at least 50th %ile on ITE to start getting extra duty pay at beginning of CA-2 year. If you pass the ITE (>30th %ile), but score is <50th %ile, you must wait an additional 6 months to be eligible for extra duty pay.

-The funding for books and reimbursements has also evolved. We now get $1500 allowance every year, but this is supposed to cover books and other education-related expenses, as well as conferences and related travel. The money does not roll over. At the start of training, we have a choice between getting a department issued iPad or $500 reimbursement for purchasing an iPad (I bought a 128Gb iPad Air 2 for $600 from Costco and got my $500 back from the department. Pretty sweet deal). This does not come out of the $1500 pot.

-There is now a rotation at the VA (adjacent to AUH) for CA-2/3. There has been excellent feedback on this rotation. Some of the really good faculty who left a few years ago actually went to work at the VA and a local private hospital (which is inexplicably called University Hospital and is a block away from AUH...not confusing at all). Starting this year there will also be an elective at University Hospital for one CA-3 at a time to get some private practice experience. These faculty still desire to interact with and teach residents and were have been instrumental in making these rotations happen.

-Since I brought up the faculty shortage, let me lay it out for you...we apparently lost a lot of faculty the year before I started, and that was not the first time a massive exodus had occurred over the last few decades. I'm new here, so I don't have all the details, but I can tell you that the current situation is not ideal, but is improving substantially, and the trajectory of this program is upward. The interim PD mentioned in the post above decided to take on that role officially before we arrived last July, and she is doing a hell of a job. She took the position around the time Dr. Meiler became our department chair. The interim chair, a man who has been trying to improve this place for years, is still very much here and very much interested in moving forward. He just didn't want to take on the role long-term. We have already acquired 4 new faculty members since I started and we're supposed to be getting several more by the end of 2016. Dr. Meiler has really stepped up to the plate to get us out of the rut of the last several years. There is still progress to be made, but I can't complain.

-Board preparation and scores have actually improved over the last 3-4 years. Across most metrics, we are right around average. This will likely change over the next few years as these improvements start generating results. There have definitely been a lot of improvements, and there are definitely more to come. Some of it has been trial and error, but we seem to be keeping what works and ditching what doesn't.

Some random considerations: Our graduates have no problems getting the fellowships or the jobs they want. If you want to dive right into academics, they are always trying to recruit promising CA-3's to stick around. We work with a lot of very experienced locums, which presents a load of networking opportunities. We will be adding more categorical spots every year.

That's enough for now. I welcome further questions. Trolls need not chime in.

TL;DR - Forget all that negativity and trash talk. Come check us out.

I happened upon this thread serendipitously and signed up just so I can set the record straight. I'm currently a CA-1 here. The hospital is in the process of being renamed to Augusta University Health (or Augusta U. Medical Center), so changes and confusion definitely still abound in this institution. You may also know us as Medical College of Georgia (MCG Health), Georgia Regents University (GR Health or GRMC), or Georgia Health Sciences University. The days of Talmadge are far before my time, so you probably won't see that one anywhere. The new official name is Augusta University Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, but I don't know which name will be listed in ERAS since it takes a while for those gears to turn.

Anyway, if you're a medical student trying to find information about us, the original post by MCG Anes still contains a lot of accurate, relevant info...Some notable changes:

-CRNA/AA comes in at 9p on weeknights rather than 11p, and we recently started having a CRNA/AA come in on weekend nights (7p-7a). This definitely helps with workflow.

-There have also been major changes with the didactics, and this has still been evolving over the past year. We currently have Mon/Tues lectures at 6a , usually focused on a subspecialty topics or board review. We have Grand Rounds on Mon at 7a. We have M&M in its place once a month. On Wed we have a lecture at 4p and usually get pizza. We are working on incorporating regularly scheduled simulation time on Monday mornings after GR, but this has not been consistent yet due to the faculty being stretched a little thin.

-Extra duty pay: this is now not available to CA-1's (unfortunately for me). You must have at least 50th %ile on ITE to start getting extra duty pay at beginning of CA-2 year. If you pass the ITE (>30th %ile), but score is <50th %ile, you must wait an additional 6 months to be eligible for extra duty pay.

-The funding for books and reimbursements has also evolved. We now get $1500 allowance every year, but this is supposed to cover books and other education-related expenses, as well as conferences and related travel. The money does not roll over. At the start of training, we have a choice between getting a department issued iPad or $500 reimbursement for purchasing an iPad (I bought a 128Gb iPad Air 2 for $600 from Costco and got my $500 back from the department. Pretty sweet deal). This does not come out of the $1500 pot.

-There is now a rotation at the VA (adjacent to AUH) for CA-2/3. There has been excellent feedback on this rotation. Some of the really good faculty who left a few years ago actually went to work at the VA and a local private hospital (which is inexplicably called University Hospital and is a block away from AUH...not confusing at all). Starting this year there will also be an elective at University Hospital for one CA-3 at a time to get some private practice experience. These faculty still desire to interact with and teach residents and were have been instrumental in making these rotations happen.

-Since I brought up the faculty shortage, let me lay it out for you...we apparently lost a lot of faculty the year before I started, and that was not the first time a massive exodus had occurred over the last few decades. I'm new here, so I don't have all the details, but I can tell you that the current situation is not ideal, but is improving substantially, and the trajectory of this program is upward. The interim PD mentioned in the post above decided to take on that role officially before we arrived last July, and she is doing a hell of a job. She took the position around the time Dr. Meiler became our department chair. The interim chair, a man who has been trying to improve this place for years, is still very much here and very much interested in moving forward. He just didn't want to take on the role long-term. We have already acquired 4 new faculty members since I started and we're supposed to be getting several more by the end of 2016. Dr. Meiler has really stepped up to the plate to get us out of the rut of the last several years. There is still progress to be made, but I can't complain.

-Board preparation and scores have actually improved over the last 3-4 years. Across most metrics, we are right around average. This will likely change over the next few years as these improvements start generating results. There have definitely been a lot of improvements, and there are definitely more to come. Some of it has been trial and error, but we seem to be keeping what works and ditching what doesn't.

Some random considerations: Our graduates have no problems getting the fellowships or the jobs they want. If you want to dive right into academics, they are always trying to recruit promising CA-3's to stick around. We work with a lot of very experienced locums, which presents a load of networking opportunities. We will be adding more categorical spots every year.

That's enough for now. I welcome further questions. Trolls need not chime in.

TL;DR - Forget all that negativity and trash talk. Come check us out.

Oh ok we believe you are a new ca 1 extolling the virtues of this program in the armpit of GA. Sure. Ok. How gullible do you think the folks are here... Interim chair LOL..... trying to improve the place for years..... good one...

Reactions: 1 users
wall of text

I have absolutely no skin in this game, but I find it amusing that your post is basically identical to the OP's, which means almost nothing has changed in 3 years...

Good/great programs don't need to advertise/justify themselves, which means all of these posts defending them are red flags in and of themselves.

I have been told by multiple sources that the head of CT (who is now the interim chairman) frequently would grab his private parts on rounds while berating residents and medical students. The cardiac numbers are so low that they often need the residents to count pediatric cardiac cases for their ACGME requirements. The training is quite substandard.
IS this the same Interima c chair who is trying to reform the program?

First of all, it is hilarious that you assume I am lying about being a CA1. My goal was to answer the above questions about any changes, and I believe I adequately pointed out relevant changes from the OP. Furthermore, I did my best to give an honest, objective assessment. I'm not here trying to defend my program, extol its virtues, or mislead information seekers. I am simply providing straightforward information. I in fact do have skin in the game being that I have 2 years left here, so I make it my business to set the record straight. We have good people here that are working tirelessly to keep this place moving in the right direction.

To clarify, we no longer have interim PD or chair positions. We have a PD and a department chair, and they are both solid. As far as the comment about crotch grabbing by the former interim chair, although hilarious, just simply isn't true. It's a rumor that was sent down the gossip chain by thinskins who can't handle ICU rounds. He may be old school and have an abrasive personality according to some people, but you can tell he gives a s*** about our education. It also says something that he stuck around through the storm, so I respect him for that. He is currently on our critical care faculty, but we've had a new head of CT for a couple years now.

So apparently things haven't always been peachy down here in the armpit of Georgia, but since I got here last July, I've been taking care of patients and learning anesthesia just like I would anywhere else. The hours aren't bad, I get along fine with the other residents, none of us had trouble with the ITE, and we will soon have BASIC out of the way and transition into our CA2 roles. This may not have been my first choice, and I don't think we'll be cracking the ranks of the elite any time soon, but this is not a bottom-of-the-barrel program.

This may not have been my first choice, and I don't think we'll be cracking the ranks of the elite any time soon, but this is not a bottom-of-the-barrel program.

image.php

--
Il Destriero

Last edited:
First of all, it is hilarious that you assume I am lying about being a CA1. My goal was to answer the above questions about any changes, and I believe I adequately pointed out relevant changes from the OP. Furthermore, I did my best to give an honest, objective assessment. I'm not here trying to defend my program, extol its virtues, or mislead information seekers. I am simply providing straightforward information. I in fact do have skin in the game being that I have 2 years left here, so I make it my business to set the record straight. We have good people here that are working tirelessly to keep this place moving in the right direction.

To clarify, we no longer have interim PD or chair positions. We have a PD and a department chair, and they are both solid. As far as the comment about crotch grabbing by the former interim chair, although hilarious, just simply isn't true. It's a rumor that was sent down the gossip chain by thinskins who can't handle ICU rounds. He may be old school and have an abrasive personality according to some people, but you can tell he gives a s*** about our education. It also says something that he stuck around through the storm, so I respect him for that. He is currently on our critical care faculty, but we've had a new head of CT for a couple years now.

So apparently things haven't always been peachy down here in the armpit of Georgia, but since I got here last July, I've been taking care of patients and learning anesthesia just like I would anywhere else. The hours aren't bad, I get along fine with the other residents, none of us had trouble with the ITE, and we will soon have BASIC out of the way and transition into our CA2 roles. This may not have been my first choice, and I don't think we'll be cracking the ranks of the elite any time soon, but this is not a bottom-of-the-barrel program.

Nobody cares about your garbage program. There's enough out there, unfortunately.

What is the general day/call/weekend schedule like in general OR months? I'll be a PGY-1 this year starting CA-1 there next year, just curious

Nobody cares about your garbage program. There's enough out there, unfortunately.
Wow! That's some character assassination.

I have no idea about this program, but this kind of threads should stop. Somebody posts a ton of unverified stuff about a program, then obviously the program tries to defend itself, then nobody believes them, then the thread gets even longer, then nobody in their right mind applies there, then the program really becomes crappy, even if it wasn't before. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy which can start from a smearing campaign orchestrated by a disgruntled resident.

Unless posted or concurred by somebody who is a well-respected member of this section, we all should treat any information about a program with a huge grain of salt, as a very subjective and questionable opinion.

I am sorry that PDs and chairs in question cannot grow a pair, and come and talk about their programs personally, like TempleChairman does. They should do an AMA every few years. Maybe that's something the forum leadership could consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
MCG was a middle of the road program when I interviewed there over 10 years ago. They were working on changing some things and improving the place. My guess is that not much has changed since then.

What is the general day/call/weekend schedule like in general OR months? I'll be a PGY-1 this year starting CA-1 there next year, just curious
Average of 4 days of 24 hr call per month, but we often get sent home early to do home call if it's slow. I usually have 2 completely free weekends every month.

MCG was a middle of the road program when I interviewed there over 10 years ago. They were working on changing some things and improving the place. My guess is that not much has changed since then.
You may be right. I wasn't there 10 years ago, so I can't make a comparison. There are better programs, and there are worse programs. We had a lot of interviewees come through this past season, and we filled all our spots with people that appear to be happy to have matched here.

IS this the same Interima c chair who is trying to reform the program?
I did some digging and found out there was a CT surgeon who worked here for a short time during that timeframe who behaved that way and was fired. Had nothing to do with the guy who was interim chair of our program at that time. Apparently the poster making these accusations doesn't know s**t.

Everyone thinks their mediocre program is great, would compete with the big boys if it was in a better city, has lots of research opportunities, the other guys are just capitalizing on name recognition, etc. and of course they want to believe that as well. That's human nature. Many people aren't competitive for the best programs anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
I'm sure MCG is fine and is a reasonable choice for someone with average scores that wants to stay in the south. Sometimes these threads are a good heads up, sometimes there's an axe to grind. But that's all of SDN, so there's no need to get your blood pressure up.

--
Il Destriero

Everyone thinks their mediocre program is great, would compete with the big boys if it was in a better city, has lots of research opportunities, the other guys are just capitalizing on name recognition, etc. and of course they want to believe that as well. That's human nature. Many people aren't competitive for the best programs anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
I'm sure MCG is fine and is a reasonable choice for someone with average scores that wants to stay in the south. Sometimes these threads are a good heads up, sometimes there's an axe to grind. But that's all of SDN, so there's no need to get your blood pressure up.

--
Il Destriero
Finally someone said something reasonable. Thank you. I'm only here to prevent people who are looking for legitimate information from getting a steaming pile of inflammatory garbage left here by the axe-grinders.

Any updates on this program ?

Wanted to give my 2 cents after going through the interview trail and because people keep asking about this program.

From talking to current residents, OB experience is still minimal. They struggle to hit their numbers for spinals and epidurals but through some sort of bureaucratic sorcery manage to write off CSEs as counting for both to hit numbers, wasn't exactly clear on this tbh. Point is, sounds shady. There's also still the lurking threat of having residency extended for 6 months and there is very much a culture of fear at the program due to this. CT also still has a reputation for being very malignant. Hearts numbers were also low but they say they are working on hiring/did hire (can't remember) more surgeons. There are a lot of foreign attendings, some with indiscernably thick accents.

There is 0 interest from current MCG med students to join the anesthesia residency there. Seems like a bad sign.

I also personally noticed the department is very disorganized. Lectures get moved around a lot/cancelled.

New chair seems like a nice guy. Enjoyed meeting him and talking to him. Seems to care about the program. Didn't interact much with the PD.

Sadly, a lot of old issues still seem very prevalent. The program is improving slowly but it'll take time to dig out of that hole. Hopefully they can keep it up but as is it stands there's just better options out there.

Wanted to give my 2 cents after going through the interview trail and because people keep asking about this program.

From talking to current residents, OB experience is still minimal. They struggle to hit their numbers for spinals and epidurals but through some sort of bureaucratic sorcery manage to write off CSEs as counting for both to hit numbers, wasn't exactly clear on this tbh. Point is, sounds shady. There's also still the lurking threat of having residency extended for 6 months and there is very much a culture of fear at the program due to this. CT also still has a reputation for being very malignant. Hearts numbers were also low but they say they are working on hiring/did hire (can't remember) more surgeons. There are a lot of foreign attendings, some with indiscernably thick accents.

There is 0 interest from current MCG med students to join the anesthesia residency there. Seems like a bad sign.

I also personally noticed the department is very disorganized. Lectures get moved around a lot/cancelled.

New chair seems like a nice guy. Enjoyed meeting him and talking to him. Seems to care about the program. Didn't interact much with the PD.

Sadly, a lot of old issues still seem very prevalent. The program is improving slowly but it'll take time to dig out of that hole. Hopefully they can keep it up but as is it stands there's just better options out there.
1. Its in Augusta.
2. Its called Augusta University.

How do you overcome both of those problems usually to attract quality folks?
With $$$..
But they pay their faculty 250-270 to do that job. In Augusta. WTF.
The onlyone making real money is the chairman. He makes 6-700 plus