Medical College of Wisconsin class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceetothe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did not see a thread open for this school yet so here we go! Calling all MCW c/o 2013 members. I got the email this morning from Mike! Letter will be here shortly. I am ready to go today! Too bad school does not start until Aug :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! If you haven't noticed, MCW has a pretty active group of posters here on SDN...hopefully the class of 2013 will live up to the precedent! (Don't worry, we'll hijack this thread for our own purposes if you don't.) Anyway, don't hesitate to ask us questions about the school or the area, and don't forget that there's a wealth of information in the other class threads as well (especially in the beginning parts of the threads before they degenerate into madness...).

Members don't see this ad :)
:pWhy don't we make a thread that is "MCW everyone join in."? Just like U of Oklahoma's thread. they are always at the top.

:pWhy don't we make a thread that is "MCW everyone join in."? Just like U of Oklahoma's thread. they are always at the top.

Agreed...besides, if you add up all the posts in MCW's various threads and you'll see who's really on top...by a mile.

haha. 2013? That is like 20 years from now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get their official acceptance letter? I still only have the email

Anyone get their official acceptance letter? I still only have the email

it came in the mail for me today, but I don't have it yet since my mail is sent to my parents house.

it came in the mail for me today, but I don't have it yet since my mail is sent to my parents house.

Still has not come for me yet. I live in Chicago so I am hoping that is the problem. Did you get the email from Mike saying you got in? I called yesterday and asked about it and they told me I did not have to turn anything in until the 21st.

Congrats! If you haven't noticed, MCW has a pretty active group of posters here on SDN...hopefully the class of 2013 will live up to the precedent! (Don't worry, we'll hijack this thread for our own purposes if you don't.) Anyway, don't hesitate to ask us questions about the school or the area, and don't forget that there's a wealth of information in the other class threads as well (especially in the beginning parts of the threads before they degenerate into madness...).

Are you a student there now? If so, what year r u in?

Are you a student there now? If so, what year r u in?

Everyone in this thread (aside from those talking about being in the c/o 2013) is a student at MCW.

Gimlet just happens to be a hold back from the original class of 2003. ;)

btw. I'm kidding about Gimlet -- he's a fine, upstanding member of the c/o 2009.

Everyone in this thread (aside from those talking about being in the c/o 2013) is a student at MCW.

Gimlet just happens to be a hold back from the original class of 2003. ;)

btw. I'm kidding about Gimlet -- he's a fine, upstanding member of the c/o 2009.

Here is a question for all the MCW students. Do you all have time to exercise/work out during the year?

Here is a question for all the MCW students. Do you all have time to exercise/work out during the year?

Yeah. 1st and 2nd year allow tons of free time. 3rd year you'll have to sacrifice a little free time during about 1/2 of the rotations but the others seem to be pretty decent. Dunno about 4th year yet.

Plus, we have sports leagues...although, softball seems to just be aerobic beer drinking.

Sure, you will have plenty of free time to pursue fitness activities or other hobbies that are important to you. It's all about setting your priorities and managing your time wisely. Personally, when things get busy for me, working out is the first thing to get tossed out the window. But many students maintain fairly rigorous workout routines throughout all four years.

You probably saw the workout facility in the school's basement when you interviewed. It's not anything spectacular, but has plenty of equipment to give you a well-rounded workout and usually isn't too busy. Also, the Wisconsin Athletic Club (pricey) and the Wisconsin Lutheran College (less pricey) offer memberships to MCW students at discounted rates.

Dunno about 4th year yet.

Definitely during 4th year. Except maybe during your Sub-I's. I only have 2 half-days of work this week. Last Thursday I had a full day scheduled and was very disgruntled about it. You get used to the half-days quickly.

Definitely during 4th year. Except maybe during your Sub-I's. I only have 2 half-days of work this week. Last Thursday I had a full day scheduled and was very disgruntled about it. You get used to the half-days quickly.

Totally.

I wasn't here during the good weather to go ride my bike like I did M2 year and while studying for step 1, so that's sad, and now it's too cold for my Raynaud's to run/bike, but I'm a weird sort of lazy.

I have had time to play video games, waste time, travel to homecoming, bake, watch tv, and generally become reacquainted with my pre-med school life with the going to clinic and everyone hoping that pts won't show up.

Fourth year is pretty sweet for the most part. Right now I'm dusting off my Xbox and playing old games I never got around to finishing.

I could work out a lot, if I were willing to give up Call of Duty 4. But I'm not.

Our library is another plus for anyone considering coming to MCW. It is so nice and plush. All those sweet couches are perfect to nap on. :sleep:

You probably saw the workout facility in the school's basement when you interviewed. It's not anything spectacular, but has plenty of equipment to give you a well-rounded workout and usually isn't too busy. Also, the Wisconsin Athletic Club (pricey) and the Wisconsin Lutheran College (less pricey) offer memberships to MCW students at discounted rates.

And the YMCA on 124th and North will give you income-based membership rates. I've heard like $25/mo.

And the YMCA on 124th and North will give you income-based membership rates. I've heard like $25/mo.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the workout info. Trust me the gym in the basement is more than enough. The other school I got into had a gym that was smaller and had no bench press or squat rack. I called them on it and I was told that if could lift over 300lbs--themax they had there-- then I needed to stop lifting weights. Something I took personal and did not find funny:mad:.

Got my letter in the mail yesterday so it is official! Will be there in the fall

Thanks guys, I appreciate the workout info. Trust me the gym in the basement is more than enough. The other school I got into had a gym that was smaller and had no bench press or squat rack. I called them on it and I was told that if could lift over 300lbs--themax they had there-- then I needed to stop lifting weights. Something I took personal and did not find funny:mad:.

Got my letter in the mail yesterday so it is official! Will be there in the fall
yeah, anybody who does deadlifts seriously would laugh at that idea.

wow, that's not too much, considering I would box squat about 250 in high school. That'd probably kill me now though
damn, woman. I'm a fair ways off from my max of 405. I only did 225x4 today. of course, I only work out once a week it seems.

damn, woman. I'm a fair ways off from my max of 405. I only did 225x4 today. of course, I only work out once a week it seems.

250 with reps of 10... I think I got 285 once and had to stop after 2, so they didn't count it.

I was the strongest girl in my high school in 10th grade.

It was all a part of off season training, and some swimming training; volleyball not so much.

Weight lifting discussion => obligatory ORTHO ORTHO ORTHO!

No kidding....I never realized you were such a meathead!

Not by choice. At the private school I went to until 10th grade, it was required to do 4 years of sports/PE/dance. I chose sports basically so I could swim, and we had to do off-season training which was weight-lifting and running. I'm lame at running. Weight-lifting was something I was decent at.

I loved it when I sprained my ankle playing volleyball because it got me out of a lot of morning practices for swimming and the end of the volleyball season.

In order to be popular at that school, you had to be varsity volleyball, soccer and basketball... I was varsity swimming.

When I switched to a public school, I stopped all sports and did marching band. :D

250 with reps of 10... I think I got 285 once and had to stop after 2, so they didn't count it.

I was the strongest girl in my high school in 10th grade.

It was all a part of off season training, and some swimming training; volleyball not so much.

Weight lifting discussion => obligatory ORTHO ORTHO ORTHO!

It is so funny you said," Weight lifting discussion => obligatory ORTHO ORTHO ORTHO!" All of my friends who are in med school that I work out with are all ORTHO bound. I am the only guy interested in plastics....the odd ball listening to plastypod while I lift. :laugh:

It is so funny you said," Weight lifting discussion => obligatory ORTHO ORTHO ORTHO!" All of my friends who are in med school that I work out with are all ORTHO bound. I am the only guy interested in plastics....the odd ball listening to plastypod while I lift. :laugh:

I said it because I'm going into ortho and everyone from the school in these threads know it (that post had a whole bunch of inside jokes, especially with my class) ;), and I really haven't lifted weights since high school.

I only exercise outside when the weather's good. However, I snowboard in weather I don't normally like.

where do most students live? I grew up in crowded california so i'm used to having to share a room with 2 or 3 other people. I want to get a place by myself, where I can scream and dance wild to loud music when I feel like it, but still be around where most of the young people live?

where do most students live? I grew up in crowded california so i'm used to having to share a room with 2 or 3 other people. I want to get a place by myself, where I can scream and dance wild to loud music when I feel like it, but still be around where most of the young people live?

Lots of people live in Wilshire Manor (close to the school), duplexes right off campus, the Reserve, Serafino Square.

Don't live in West Bend if you ever want to be social.

Well, your neighbors might complain.

mcw is not located where young people live.

If I could go back, I'd live downtown for 1st and 2nd years. But, that is because I didn't attend lectures.

mcw is not located where young people live.

You mean the state of WI? So the dude should stay in CA? ;)

Editing: Hopefully, jumpingjack, you take this as a joke. That's what the smiley's for. And it's getting to be colder, so CA sounds nice to me.

Last edited:
Lots of people live in Wilshire Manor (close to the school), duplexes right off campus, the Reserve, Serafino Square.

Don't live in West Bend if you ever want to be social.

Yeah, my downstairs neighbors live in West Bend and they only ever hang out with themselves and smoke outside the apartment.