1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Medical Dictionaries for MS Word

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Mary the Med Student, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Mary the Med Student

10+ Year Member

I have spent a lot of time tonight searching for some sort of spell-check dictionary plug in for MS Word. Anyone ever found one?

-Mary

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PTjay

PTjay Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i had to buy a medical dictionary over the summer and although i don't remember what it is called it is soft cover (kind of plastic), dark green, with gold lettering. inside the back cover there is a disk that allows you to install the dictionary into word. it won't spell correct but when a word is marked as incorrect you can click a button and check it in the dictionary.

works well enough, if i find the name of the dictionary which is a good resource in and of itself i'll post back.

4. cheech10

cheech10 Member
    10+ Year Member

I haven't tried it yet, but I think you can find one at

<a href="http://www.ptcentral.com/university/medterms_zip.html" target="_blank">http://www.ptcentral.com/university/medterms_zip.html</a>

It's shareware and should work for any version of Word. Let me know how it works if you use it.

5. dingiswayo

dingiswayo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

6. Mary the Med Student

10+ Year Member

Rock on cheech10 - the spellcheck dictionary works like a charm. No more struggling through papers with my spellchecker stumbling over every freaking sentance.

-Mary

7. b-real

b-real What, me worry?
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    PTjay may be thinking of the 19th edition of Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary

8. cchoukal

cchoukal Senior Member
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    AT my old job we used a product called Spellex, which has dictionaries for all sorts of specialty areas (e.g., law, engineering, etc.). The medicine was pretty comprehensive. Don't recall the cost... try <a href="http://www.spellex.com" target="_blank">www.spellex.com</a>

9. Kluver Bucy

Kluver Bucy Gold Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks, Cheech. That spelling list contained 9883 words.
    That's only a fraction of the 370,000 that Spellex has, but it seems to have some of the most common ones and, best of all, it's free.

10. cheech10

cheech10 Member
    10+ Year Member

Glad to help. I installed it, and it's really helped. Now if I found one with the standard english spellings (tumour, etc.) I'd be *very* happy.