No words other than...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exploitative?

Screenshot_2023-03-15-00-44-51-12_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb~2.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-15-00-44-51-12_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb~3.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Very. No real clinical opportunity for the unmatched applicant to improve application for the next cycle. Would be better for the unmatched applicant to spend a year at an academic center focusing on research and pumping out papers.

Reactions: 1 users
This sounds like free labor, which is insane. It's disgusting this idea made it out of the drafts. As if the unmatched applicant doesn't have bills to pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems more like a premed sort of position. Though I suppose if it paid enough it might be good for some people. I’m guessing the lack of salary posting means it’s not great.

That said, it does make me wonder: what do unmatched applicants do if they don’t find any residency slot and also don’t find a funded research position? I hear a lot about non-clinical jobs, but these would be totally unlicensed MDs and probably not from top schools that could possibly slip in to a consulting job or similar. Drug and device rep gigs aren’t going to want to invest in someone they know will be looking for the exit from day 1. So what does an unmatched MS4 do in this situation? Are these the kind of positions they take?

From what I understand, if you otherwise have the social acumen and emotional intelligence to do so, you can pretty much do any of the above.

Unlike in medicine, the vast majority of careers don’t have a step by step playbook for success. Of course it doesn’t mean that medicine is easy, it’s just medicine is more public about the journey.

I think having someone not in medicine advise you is great to get second perspective to evaluate openings such as these.

The posted opportunity may be legitimate, at least on the face of it. People may have forgotten a lot of the subtleties of corporate culture due to the work from home environment. Anything outside of academia, of which medicine is very much part of, which can make or break your career in taking opportunities such as these. Plastic surgery is definitely much closer to a corporation than an academic institution.

I've seen a few people post success stories following "research fellowships" on reapplying to surgical subs. However, I'd be really leery about signing up for a random private practice research fellowship rather than with a legit academic center. As close as I can tell, the person posting the position is not exactly killing it in the publishing game.

As always, I emphasize that students really need to be honest with themselves (and mentors need to be honest with their mentees) when deciding whether to go for a highly competitive specialty, and have a clearly defined plan B. I would SOAP into IM or FM before rolling the dice with something like this, but no doubt they will find someone desperate enough to give this a go.

Reactions: 3 users
Are these the kind of positions they take?
Yes. Or positions at their medical school, if they're hiring short-term - lab tech, TA, etc. Otherwise very strong unmatched folks get research positions or get a yearlong gig for a prep company or something - e.g. I have a few friends who didn't match ortho/NSGY, did something like that, and matched into strong programs the following year - but as you noted the average unmatched applicant is generally not the cream of the crop.

This sounds like free labor, which is insane. It's disgusting this idea made it out of the drafts. As if the unmatched applicant doesn't have bills to pay.
Target's hiring. It's harsh, but we're talking about a population of people who generally don't have much/any actual work experience, little if any marketable skills, and who are likely planning to quit the position in 9-10 months if all goes well. The average medical student is simply not going to get a short-term, well-paid position.

Again, the solid candidates get offered research positions, etc, and are fine. But there are people who'd take this position because they need anything they can get.

Big academic centers also have these exploitive arrangements. Many academic centers hire Research fellows, who are desperate IMGs, for very little pay, and make them work like 60 hrs a week doing lab research, in the vain hope of matching.

Agree… but it DOES get them ready for Residency.. in that THAT is also exploitative and free labour 😏

If you do not match, get a research position at an academic center and pump out papers in the field you want to match. While doing this, you will get face time with the current residents, attendings, and PDs. Avoid "fellowships" at private practices, because all you get is a letter of recommendation from a random physician.