medical dictionary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldman

Senior Citizen
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have some medical dictionaries, but none of them fit in my white coat pocket. the wards seem to be THE place where one of these books would be key.

can you list any pocket sized ones?

Members don't see this ad.

hey! why dont you buy a PDA and a software?

I love my Stedmans dictionary on my treo. It's exactly like the one text I had but w/o the pictures. It runs fine, however i think the Treo's 33mhz lags for a few letters by one second. It should run really smooth on other systems.

So far its been a god send.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by docliu
hey! why dont you buy a PDA and a software?

i'm hoping to spend less than 50 bucks. i'm waiting to get a pda, cell phone, email checker combo later on. that's when i'll spend a lot more money.

Hi Oldman!
I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for, but I've been carrying the "Medical Student's Pocket Reference 4rth Ed" by Ken Bookstein MD around with me. It's very small and light, but runs over 350 pages, organized by organ system. It also has a microbial database, a nice list of common abbreviations, and an index/vacabulary list in the back. I've been carrying the thing in my pocket during preceptorship, and use it quite a bit. It's only 15 bucks, so for now it's a cheap solution.

Originally posted by racergirl
Hi Oldman!
I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for, but I've been carrying the "Medical Student's Pocket Reference 4rth Ed" by Ken Bookstein MD around with me. It's very small and light, but runs over 350 pages, organized by organ system. It also has a microbial database, a nice list of common abbreviations, and an index/vacabulary list in the back. I've been carrying the thing in my pocket during preceptorship, and use it quite a bit. It's only 15 bucks, so for now it's a cheap solution.

thanks racergirl!

i'll check it out!

where can i get a free dictionary for my palm? it only has 16mb ram is that enough?

thanks!

I'm not a big fan of the cell phone, pda, mp3 player, surrogate date, etc combo electronics. They tend to be way overpriced and are quickly outdated. You might be better served by biting the bullet and dropping the $350 for a mid-line Sony Clie. I usually don't endorse extended warranties, but consider buying the 3 yr extended at Circuit City/Best Buy/etc. (just get it IN WRITING) because you will use the thing so much that it will crap out well before 3 yrs passes. After all that unsolicited advise, FYI: Steadman's for PDA costs $49.00.

My recommended text list includes both "Dorland's issustrated Dictionary" and "Stedman's Medical dictionary". Are both necessary (I wouldn't think so), and if not, which one is better. Thanks

Originally posted by Green912
My recommended text list includes both "Dorland's issustrated Dictionary" and "Stedman's Medical dictionary". Are both necessary (I wouldn't think so), and if not, which one is better. Thanks

are there editions that fit in a white coat pocket?

Stedman's has a paperback version of its dictionary. I isn't the smallest book around, but I suppose it would fit well enough into a lab coat.

I'd carry a brick in your other pocket to balance it :laugh: .

Dorland's and Stedman's are both huge! Do we really need something of that size during medical school, or will "Concise" versions of those do just fine? I think there's a Stedman's Concise Medical Dictionary, but I am not too sure about Dorland's. Also, Taber's is around the size of a concise dictionary, I believe. How about other dictionaries such as Webster's, American Heritage, Mosby's, etc.? Has anyone looked at these? Which ones have been the most helpful?

Also, I noticed that there's a Mosby's Medical Dictionary and there's also a Mosby's Medical, Nursing, and Allied Health Dictionary. Is the latter simply a fuller version, or are there sacrifices made from the Medical Dictionary?

Originally posted by VCMM414
Dorland's and Stedman's are both huge! Do we really need something of that size during medical school, or will "Concise" versions of those do just fine? I think there's a Stedman's Concise Medical Dictionary, but I am not too sure about Dorland's. Also, Taber's is around the size of a concise dictionary, I believe. How about other dictionaries such as Webster's, American Heritage, Mosby's, etc.? Has anyone looked at these? Which ones have been the most helpful?

Also, I noticed that there's a Mosby's Medical Dictionary and there's also a Mosby's Medical, Nursing, and Allied Health Dictionary. Is the latter simply a fuller version, or are there sacrifices made from the Medical Dictionary?

i have a tauber's which is a nursing dictionary. it's not pocket sized, but can fit in my backpack. anyway it has many things that are geared for nursing students (like nursing clinical actions in response to a certain disease listed in the dictionary), so it might not be "sacrificed" rather focused on the specialty.