Medical Education JAMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captain Sisko

U.S.S. Defiant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got the magazine in the mail a couple days back, surprised it hasn't shown up on here yet. Its theme is medical education.

In the edition there's a lengthy article discussing MMI and correlations to licensing scores, abstract here:

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1475189

There's also an appendix showing all of the medical schools with percentages of in-state residents among other stats. I guess some of this data is available in the MSAR but if you're stats hungry you can buy the article. Link here:

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1475157

Members don't see this ad.

I found the JAMA editorial about this article and med school admissions to be more interesting, in which they mention adding another section to the AMCAS to describe your personal qualities as well as the idea of another centralized testing mechanism to examine applicants' ethical choices. So glad I'm already in.

Reactions: 1 user
I was just going to post this because I hadn't seen it on here.

There is a very interesting opinion article by a current med student. It might even be described as justifiably scathing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just going to post this because I hadn't seen it on here.

There is a very interesting opinion article by a current med student. It might even be described as justifiably scathing.

Can you post the link? I didn't find the med stud editorial. Thanks!

Thanks! This is from 2013. The original post was from 2012. I guess they have this issue every year?

Thanks! This is from 2013. The original post was from 2012. I guess they have this issue every year?
Yes, it appears that jama does have a medical education issue every year. Maybe more often, I'd have to look.

I found the JAMA editorial about this article and med school admissions to be more interesting, in which they mention adding another section to the AMCAS to describe your personal qualities as well as the idea of another centralized testing mechanism to examine applicants' ethical choices. So glad I'm already in.

wtf, that first part is just stupid. It just adds another stupid layer to the admissions process for no reason and it'll end up being "oh I'm super caring and nice and smart" bull**** from pre-meds, as if they weren't already neurotic enough.

The ethics testing is a joke too. If you have decent test-taking skills, you can rock any ethics test.