Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Medical Ethics

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by thinmints, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Are there any good, easy-to-read/non-textbook medical ethics book out there?

I'd like to read about some medical issues and what people's opinion of them are.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

I know you specified non-textbooks, but Pence's Classic Cases in Medical Ethics is very easy to read and an excellent primer in the field. For the serious scholar, it skims over some things, and I have heard that it occasionally misrepresents Jewish ethics (according to my professor), but it's a great place to start.

Amazon link:
    Pence text

Also, bioethics.net is a nice internet resource.

4. Centinel

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Steinbock & Arras' Ethical Issues in Modern Medicine is fantastic. I find it to be easy to read, but I like pretty dry stuff.

5. madi

madi Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Not exactly a text, but the University of Washington's ethics site is an excellent resource.

6. doctorFred

doctorFred intensive carer
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    although it's a bit lengthy, the spirit catches you and you fall down is pretty good. i'm just getting into it now. it deals with cultural barriers in medicine.

7. CTG

CTG Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    the elements of moral philosophy by james rachels....it was "suggested reading" by my med ethics teacher so i didn't read all of it due to lack of time, but it reads very easily, i found what little i read to be very engaging, and he's always coming out with updated editions to keep in time with the changing demands of medical ethical issues...my impression of the book is that it's a classic with regards to medical ethical literature

also, i had to read a great deal of Steinbock & Arras' Ethical Issues in Modern Medicine that drinklord suggested, but it definitely reads more like a textbook....i found some articles interesting but others absolutely terrible to read...but then that's what you get a lot of the time in philosophy....it seems like that's another good resource to have if you're really into this stuff, but i suggest the james rachels if you're looking for something easier and more enjoyable to read...plus, it isn't a textbook, or else it doesn't feel like one

8. JDWflash44

JDWflash44 Workin it...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There was a medical ethics journal article that BU used for their secondary essay, I found it was pretty good as far as an overview of medical ethics. I wonder if anyone has the citation????

Jim

9. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

I agree, Steinbock and Arras is a great book, but I did find it drier than Pence.

10. americanangel

americanangel Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thats my textbook for my medical ethics class...I hate that book though...its so dry and boring...I wish they would write a textbook that actually had some substance too it!! Maybe its the cases they chose, but I think they could have done a better job with it!!! Anyway thats just my two cents!

11. wow cool! thanks for all the replies! i really appreciate it!