Medical Ethics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

thinmints

Are there any good, easy-to-read/non-textbook medical ethics book out there?

I'd like to read about some medical issues and what people's opinion of them are.

Members don't see this ad.

I know you specified non-textbooks, but Pence's Classic Cases in Medical Ethics is very easy to read and an excellent primer in the field. For the serious scholar, it skims over some things, and I have heard that it occasionally misrepresents Jewish ethics (according to my professor), but it's a great place to start.

Amazon link:
Pence text

Also, bioethics.net is a nice internet resource.

thinmints said:
Are there any good, easy-to-read/non-textbook medical ethics book out there?

I'd like to read about some medical issues and what people's opinion of them are.
Steinbock & Arras' Ethical Issues in Modern Medicine is fantastic. I find it to be easy to read, but I like pretty dry stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not exactly a text, but the University of Washington's ethics site is an excellent resource.

the elements of moral philosophy by james rachels....it was "suggested reading" by my med ethics teacher so i didn't read all of it due to lack of time, but it reads very easily, i found what little i read to be very engaging, and he's always coming out with updated editions to keep in time with the changing demands of medical ethical issues...my impression of the book is that it's a classic with regards to medical ethical literature

also, i had to read a great deal of Steinbock & Arras' Ethical Issues in Modern Medicine that drinklord suggested, but it definitely reads more like a textbook....i found some articles interesting but others absolutely terrible to read...but then that's what you get a lot of the time in philosophy....it seems like that's another good resource to have if you're really into this stuff, but i suggest the james rachels if you're looking for something easier and more enjoyable to read...plus, it isn't a textbook, or else it doesn't feel like one

There was a medical ethics journal article that BU used for their secondary essay, I found it was pretty good as far as an overview of medical ethics. I wonder if anyone has the citation????

Jim

drinklord said:
Steinbock & Arras' Ethical Issues in Modern Medicine is fantastic. I find it to be easy to read, but I like pretty dry stuff.

I agree, Steinbock and Arras is a great book, but I did find it drier than Pence.

drinklord said:

Thats my textbook for my medical ethics class...I hate that book though...its so dry and boring...I wish they would write a textbook that actually had some substance too it!! Maybe its the cases they chose, but I think they could have done a better job with it!!! Anyway thats just my two cents!