Medical Exemption Med School Boosters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goaldigger19

Reaction score
Hello, I am pre med to a local DO program and they may require some boosters from my childhood vaccines as well as annual flu. I was fully vaccinated as a child. My mother contracted Guillian Barre syndrome after a flu shot three years ago and never regained function of her legs. She passed away a month ago due to autoimmune liver disease (acute hep). I am passionate about fulfilling my calling and I am not personally against vaccines but I don’t feel comfortable getting boosters for this reason. If I can get a medical exemption based on my mothers hjstory, can I still matriculate? Would they accept it? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I am pre med to a local DO program and they may require some boosters from my childhood vaccines as well as annual flu. I was fully vaccinated as a child. My mother contracted Guillian Barre syndrome after a flu shot three years ago and never regained function of her legs. She passed away a month ago due to autoimmune liver disease (acute hep). I am passionate about fulfilling my calling and I am not personally against vaccines but I don’t feel comfortable getting boosters for this reason. If I can get a medical exemption based on my mothers hjstory, can I still matriculate? Would they accept it? Thank you.
If you demonstrate immunity with titers then boosters won't be an issue. The flu shot is usually one where they will hassle you. Hard to know if they will accept your excuse or not.

I have trouble believing that they give you an exemption based on your mother's medical history

Members don't see this ad :)
If you demonstrate immunity with titers then boosters won't be an issue. The flu shot is usually one where they will hassle you. Hard to know if they will accept your excuse or not.

I was required to get titers for MMR, Hep B, and Varicella, which made that easy.

Hi, how did this go? I can't get vaccines due to past vaccine injury. Were you able to receive exemption?

Our school allows you to skip flu shot(Giving to each other this year, eep!), but you have to wear a mask for any clinical activity.

Reactions: 1 users
Our school allows you to skip flu shot(Giving to each other this year, eep!), but you have to wear a mask for any clinical activity.

I always appreciate when my doctor enters the room wearing a mask.

13.jpg