D
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
EMT is considered an "other science" for AACOMAS. Some schools may or may not accept a letter from an emt course as a science course.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
adrenocorticotropicana
Full Member
lol I took it as an accelerated continuing studies course over the summer so it was pass/fail, I had no idea you could take these things for credit. Waiting for my EMT license in the maaaaail so I can start applying to dialysis transport jobs so I can start supporting myself lolololol
Dont complain! As much as I appreciate the opportunity to be a physician, dealing with the time OMM takes each week plus worrying about competencies. If I knew 4 years ago what I knew now I would have done a post bacc or a SMP after the first rejection from my state school.
Last edited:
D
deleted807068
W
Word! Thinking about taking EMT classes but not sure of the rigors. Is it alot of work to study for?lol I took it as an accelerated continuing studies course over the summer so it was pass/fail, I had no idea you could take these things for credit. Waiting for my EMT license in the maaaaail so I can start applying to dialysis transport jobs so I can start supporting myself lolololol
D
deleted807068
Damn, but I think a 3.5 DO science GPA is still pretty good.I think its ironic that MD may end up being more available for me than DO. sGPA MD-3.76, DO- probably like 3.5 at best.
D
deleted807068
Damn, so OMM is that bad huh?Dont complain! As much as I appreciate the opportunity to be a physician, dealing with the time OMM takes each week plus worrying about competencies. If I knew 4 years ago what I knew now I would have done a post bacc or a SMP the first rejection from my state school.
Its not that bad, its just something else taking part of your attention.Damn, so OMM is that bad huh?
My EMT course was about as difficult as an introductory science course. There will be people who fail, however, if you're able to succeed in college, there is no reason why you can't pass this.W
Word! Thinking about taking EMT classes but not sure of the rigors. Is it alot of work to study for?
If you have problem passing EMT, you probably definitely couldn’t make it through med school.My EMT course was about as difficult as an introductory science course. There will be people who fail, however, if you're able to succeed in college, there is no reason why you can't pass this.
D
deleted807068
Yikes!!! Is that class hard then?I took EMT in 2007 and the 8 credits of 3.0 dropped my 3.85 science down to a 3.76 sGPA verified.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted807068
Haha true. It's just that I have a full schedule so I can't allocate that much time towards EMT.If you have problem passing EMT, you probably definitely couldn’t make it through med school.
No way! I took the course when I was 18... 8 years before I started premed or college in general.Yikes!!! Is that class hard then?
W
Word! Thinking about taking EMT classes but not sure of the rigors. Is it alot of work to study for?
Sorry this is a late response...
So I just finished an EMT-B course which is one semester or 15 weeks long. It was 15hrs a week during the night. I chose night because I took an additional 16hrs of undergrad courses at a larger university. Along with the 15 hrs per week you have to do clinicals, which are eight 12 hour ride alongs with a 911 ambulance service. At the end you also have to take an in-class final, a NREMT online exam, and a NREMT hands-on exam. I am a full time student and this ended up being about 60ish hours a week of pure class time at the peak when the clinicals began. Of course this is also factoring in the clinicals which I poorly planned and ended up doing two every weekend for 3 weeks in November. That is the time commitment.
As far as content and studying goes, I spent almost no time outside of class studying. Probably an hour or two a week, and still passed all tests and finals with no problem. I payed attention in class and tried my best to study and learn as best I could in class. I say all this, but it was a major time commitment when you begin your clinical ride-alongs. Its a super fun class though and definitely boosts your confidence in dealing with people. It also exposes you to people of different demographics. I come from a wealthier area, so it was an eye opening experience to deal with people in different socioeconomic situations.
Now I would not recommend getting an EMT license if you are just doing it to boost your GPA or an application booster. I plan to work for several ambulance services around my college and I volunteer at a fire department near my hometown. I also plan to take the Advanced EMT class this semester (time commitment is the same as EMT-B) because I enjoyed it so much last semester.
To sum all this up, if you take an EMT class with undergrad classes it can be a hassle, however, if you take an EMT class by itself it should be relatively easy. School has always came naturally to me and if your the same way it should be about the same. Best of luck. Feel free to ask me any questions.
I know this pain, my nursing school had a 6 point grading scale and I made a few C’s (80-86%) in 6 credit hour classes. My GPA was something like a 2.6 when I graduated my ADN program. Try to get it up as high as you can, I got in with a 3.4 and all A’s in the required sciences. Good luck to you!Yep, my 3.3 or so BSN is gonna wreck me.
College so far is EASY. Chem grading scale is 87-100 is an A, and you get loads of participation points. Only thing to watch out for is the final is difficult, but you can get bonus points before then. I wish nursing was like this. I’d have a 4.0 it was a hospital diploma program (not even an ASN) and pretty much half of it was multiple choice tests that were all tricky, or performance grades like how well you conducted a physical exam, started an iv, conducted an interview etc. Doing is much harder than just knowing.
Trig is 90-100 but 75% of your grade is participation as well.
Trig is 90-100 but 75% of your grade is participation as well.
That speaks poorly of your prereq institution.College so far is EASY. Chem grading scale is 87-100 is an A, and you get loads of participation points. Only thing to watch out for is the final is difficult, but you can get bonus points before then. I wish nursing was like this. I’d have a 4.0 it was a hospital diploma program (not even an ASN) and pretty much half of it was multiple choice tests that were all tricky, or performance grades like how well you conducted a physical exam, started an iv, conducted an interview etc. Doing is much harder than just knowing.
Trig is 90-100 but 75% of your grade is participation as well.
I have to agree. I had to earn every bit of the A’s in my required sciences.That speaks poorly of your prereq institution.
I'm boggled.College so far is EASY. Chem grading scale is 87-100 is an A, and you get loads of participation points. Only thing to watch out for is the final is difficult, but you can get bonus points before then. I wish nursing was like this. I’d have a 4.0 it was a hospital diploma program (not even an ASN) and pretty much half of it was multiple choice tests that were all tricky, or performance grades like how well you conducted a physical exam, started an iv, conducted an interview etc. Doing is much harder than just knowing.
Trig is 90-100 but 75% of your grade is participation as well.
I am too... and I’ve been stressing over chem homework, feeling like I’m not getting it as well as I want to, and everyone who’s already taken it is telling me “oh the actual tests are multiple choice. You won’t even have to worry about sig figs etc because the choices are so different.”
I wasn’t expecting multiple choice.
I wasn’t expecting multiple choice.
The material is much more in-depth than my other college, but it’s pretty easy to grasp, and multiple choice tests.. I surely wasn’t expecting that.That speaks poorly of your prereq institution.
This is LSU btw. I chose it since it is my preferred med school due to location and 32 credit hour rule.
Apparently if I earn A+ it can give me more Q points and maybe I can really boost my gpa. Who knows.
After my AS in respiratory care everything else in college was comparatively easy, as the courses, despite their depth, left me with infinitely more time to study fo the point they were laughable. Literally every one of the 70-some odd credits I took after I got an A in. I don't understand how anyone in college for non-allied health, nursing, or engineering degrees gets less than a 3.5 GPA.College so far is EASY. Chem grading scale is 87-100 is an A, and you get loads of participation points. Only thing to watch out for is the final is difficult, but you can get bonus points before then. I wish nursing was like this. I’d have a 4.0 it was a hospital diploma program (not even an ASN) and pretty much half of it was multiple choice tests that were all tricky, or performance grades like how well you conducted a physical exam, started an iv, conducted an interview etc. Doing is much harder than just knowing.
Trig is 90-100 but 75% of your grade is participation as well.
Hah! some of my undergrad courses literally a 40% was a C. The teachers totally forgot they weren't teaching grad students.After my AS in respiratory care everything else in college was comparatively easy, as the courses, despite their depth, left me with infinitely more time to study fo the point they were laughable. Literally every one of the 70-some odd credits I took after I got an A in. I don't understand how anyone in college for non-allied health, nursing, or engineering degrees gets less than a 3.5 GPA.
I've never had a chem class be multiple choice.I am too... and I’ve been stressing over chem homework, feeling like I’m not getting it as well as I want to, and everyone who’s already taken it is telling me “oh the actual tests are multiple choice. You won’t even have to worry about sig figs etc because the choices are so different.”
I wasn’t expecting multiple choice.
Me ether. I assumed it would be write the answer. As soon as they told me that, my anxiety just melted away.I've never had a chem class be multiple choice.
Even though my last g chem was more basic in nature, you had to write the answer.
Still can’t get over the fact we have 20 “extra” points possible.
I’ve been told at LSU all of the chems are the same including organic. Not sure about physics. Really expected it to be much more rigorous.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
....that grading scaleMe ether. I assumed it would be write the answer. As soon as they told me that, my anxiety just melted away.
Even though my last g chem was more basic in nature, you had to write the answer.
Still can’t get over the fact we have 20 “extra” points possible.
View attachment 248437
I’ve been told at LSU all of the chems are the same including organic. Not sure about physics. Really expected it to be much more rigorous.
I was frustrated over my nursing 94-100 scale, but maybe this will help me get caught up. Ppl are telling me an A+ raises our gpa at LSU more than an A.....that grading scale
I’ve been stressing because there’s a long homework assignment due each week that takes about 8 hours to complete, and I have trig also, but it just dawned to me that the whole assignment is worth FOUR points. And you can get 60/40 possible.
Last edited:
I took my EMT training at a non college training center. I did not have grades or official transcript for itDo you have to send in a transcript from an EMT class even if you didn’t take it for college credit?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 2K