Does an EMT class actually count as "science GPA" for AACOMAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted807068

Was just looking at the website for AACOMAS and I see that they count EMT as a "science class". Can anyone verify this and your opinions on taking the class not only to get paid clinical experience in the future but also as a science GPA booster?

Members don't see this ad.

I took EMT in 2007 and the 8 credits of 3.0 dropped my 3.85 science down to a 3.76 sGPA verified.

Reactions: 1 user
EMT is considered an "other science" for AACOMAS. Some schools may or may not accept a letter from an emt course as a science course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, my 3.3 or so BSN is gonna wreck me.

Reactions: 1 users
lol I took it as an accelerated continuing studies course over the summer so it was pass/fail, I had no idea you could take these things for credit. Waiting for my EMT license in the maaaaail so I can start applying to dialysis transport jobs so I can start supporting myself lolololol

mine didn't count for either. some places make it pass/fail contingent on the physical portion of the nremt

I think its ironic that MD may end up being more available for me than DO. sGPA MD-3.76, DO- probably like 3.5 at best.

Dont complain! As much as I appreciate the opportunity to be a physician, dealing with the time OMM takes each week plus worrying about competencies. If I knew 4 years ago what I knew now I would have done a post bacc or a SMP after the first rejection from my state school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
W
lol I took it as an accelerated continuing studies course over the summer so it was pass/fail, I had no idea you could take these things for credit. Waiting for my EMT license in the maaaaail so I can start applying to dialysis transport jobs so I can start supporting myself lolololol
Word! Thinking about taking EMT classes but not sure of the rigors. Is it alot of work to study for?

I think its ironic that MD may end up being more available for me than DO. sGPA MD-3.76, DO- probably like 3.5 at best.
Damn, but I think a 3.5 DO science GPA is still pretty good.

Dont complain! As much as I appreciate the opportunity to be a physician, dealing with the time OMM takes each week plus worrying about competencies. If I knew 4 years ago what I knew now I would have done a post bacc or a SMP the first rejection from my state school.
Damn, so OMM is that bad huh?

W

Word! Thinking about taking EMT classes but not sure of the rigors. Is it alot of work to study for?
My EMT course was about as difficult as an introductory science course. There will be people who fail, however, if you're able to succeed in college, there is no reason why you can't pass this.

Members don't see this ad :)
My EMT course was about as difficult as an introductory science course. There will be people who fail, however, if you're able to succeed in college, there is no reason why you can't pass this.
If you have problem passing EMT, you probably definitely couldn’t make it through med school.

If you have problem passing EMT, you probably definitely couldn’t make it through med school.
Haha true. It's just that I have a full schedule so I can't allocate that much time towards EMT.

Oh yeah I know the feeling of that. Doing RN to BSN while volunteering and doing all the check boxes for med school is pretty stressful, even though the coursework itself is a joke.

W

Sorry this is a late response...

So I just finished an EMT-B course which is one semester or 15 weeks long. It was 15hrs a week during the night. I chose night because I took an additional 16hrs of undergrad courses at a larger university. Along with the 15 hrs per week you have to do clinicals, which are eight 12 hour ride alongs with a 911 ambulance service. At the end you also have to take an in-class final, a NREMT online exam, and a NREMT hands-on exam. I am a full time student and this ended up being about 60ish hours a week of pure class time at the peak when the clinicals began. Of course this is also factoring in the clinicals which I poorly planned and ended up doing two every weekend for 3 weeks in November. That is the time commitment.

As far as content and studying goes, I spent almost no time outside of class studying. Probably an hour or two a week, and still passed all tests and finals with no problem. I payed attention in class and tried my best to study and learn as best I could in class. I say all this, but it was a major time commitment when you begin your clinical ride-alongs. Its a super fun class though and definitely boosts your confidence in dealing with people. It also exposes you to people of different demographics. I come from a wealthier area, so it was an eye opening experience to deal with people in different socioeconomic situations.

Now I would not recommend getting an EMT license if you are just doing it to boost your GPA or an application booster. I plan to work for several ambulance services around my college and I volunteer at a fire department near my hometown. I also plan to take the Advanced EMT class this semester (time commitment is the same as EMT-B) because I enjoyed it so much last semester.

To sum all this up, if you take an EMT class with undergrad classes it can be a hassle, however, if you take an EMT class by itself it should be relatively easy. School has always came naturally to me and if your the same way it should be about the same. Best of luck. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Yep, my 3.3 or so BSN is gonna wreck me.
I know this pain, my nursing school had a 6 point grading scale and I made a few C’s (80-86%) in 6 credit hour classes. My GPA was something like a 2.6 when I graduated my ADN program. Try to get it up as high as you can, I got in with a 3.4 and all A’s in the required sciences. Good luck to you!

College so far is EASY. Chem grading scale is 87-100 is an A, and you get loads of participation points. Only thing to watch out for is the final is difficult, but you can get bonus points before then. I wish nursing was like this. I’d have a 4.0 it was a hospital diploma program (not even an ASN) and pretty much half of it was multiple choice tests that were all tricky, or performance grades like how well you conducted a physical exam, started an iv, conducted an interview etc. Doing is much harder than just knowing.

Trig is 90-100 but 75% of your grade is participation as well.

College so far is EASY. Chem grading scale is 87-100 is an A, and you get loads of participation points. Only thing to watch out for is the final is difficult, but you can get bonus points before then. I wish nursing was like this. I’d have a 4.0 it was a hospital diploma program (not even an ASN) and pretty much half of it was multiple choice tests that were all tricky, or performance grades like how well you conducted a physical exam, started an iv, conducted an interview etc. Doing is much harder than just knowing.

That speaks poorly of your prereq institution.

I'm boggled.

I am too... and I’ve been stressing over chem homework, feeling like I’m not getting it as well as I want to, and everyone who’s already taken it is telling me “oh the actual tests are multiple choice. You won’t even have to worry about sig figs etc because the choices are so different.”

I wasn’t expecting multiple choice.

That speaks poorly of your prereq institution.
The material is much more in-depth than my other college, but it’s pretty easy to grasp, and multiple choice tests.. I surely wasn’t expecting that.

This is LSU btw. I chose it since it is my preferred med school due to location and 32 credit hour rule.

Apparently if I earn A+ it can give me more Q points and maybe I can really boost my gpa. Who knows.

After my AS in respiratory care everything else in college was comparatively easy, as the courses, despite their depth, left me with infinitely more time to study fo the point they were laughable. Literally every one of the 70-some odd credits I took after I got an A in. I don't understand how anyone in college for non-allied health, nursing, or engineering degrees gets less than a 3.5 GPA.

After my AS in respiratory care everything else in college was comparatively easy, as the courses, despite their depth, left me with infinitely more time to study fo the point they were laughable. Literally every one of the 70-some odd credits I took after I got an A in. I don't understand how anyone in college for non-allied health, nursing, or engineering degrees gets less than a 3.5 GPA.
Hah! some of my undergrad courses literally a 40% was a C. The teachers totally forgot they weren't teaching grad students.

I am too... and I’ve been stressing over chem homework, feeling like I’m not getting it as well as I want to, and everyone who’s already taken it is telling me “oh the actual tests are multiple choice. You won’t even have to worry about sig figs etc because the choices are so different.”

I wasn’t expecting multiple choice.
I've never had a chem class be multiple choice.

I've never had a chem class be multiple choice.
Me ether. I assumed it would be write the answer. As soon as they told me that, my anxiety just melted away.

Even though my last g chem was more basic in nature, you had to write the answer.

Still can’t get over the fact we have 20 “extra” points possible.
D528481E-AD3E-4646-B528-FE7752BC852A.jpeg

I’ve been told at LSU all of the chems are the same including organic. Not sure about physics. Really expected it to be much more rigorous.

Last edited:
Me ether. I assumed it would be write the answer. As soon as they told me that, my anxiety just melted away.

Even though my last g chem was more basic in nature, you had to write the answer.

Still can’t get over the fact we have 20 “extra” points possible.
View attachment 248437

I’ve been told at LSU all of the chems are the same including organic. Not sure about physics. Really expected it to be much more rigorous.
....that grading scale

....that grading scale
I was frustrated over my nursing 94-100 scale, but maybe this will help me get caught up. Ppl are telling me an A+ raises our gpa at LSU more than an A.

I’ve been stressing because there’s a long homework assignment due each week that takes about 8 hours to complete, and I have trig also, but it just dawned to me that the whole assignment is worth FOUR points. And you can get 60/40 possible.

Last edited:
Do you have to send in a transcript from an EMT class even if you didn’t take it for college credit?

Do you have to send in a transcript from an EMT class even if you didn’t take it for college credit?
I took my EMT training at a non college training center. I did not have grades or official transcript for it