Medical French?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cholinergic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any books out there geared towards non-native french speakers to learn medical french? Or are there any downloadable programs for my Palm?

For anyone who is working or going to school in france and french was not your mother tongue, was it hard to learn the new words?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you speak french at all?

dear
is there any chance for a foreign graduate(pakistani) to get cardiology specialization from france?
regards
dr riaz

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know the answers to your q's but I do know that when my uncle went to France decades ago (I don't know if that was in University or afterwards) he didn't speak a word of French and he's now a successful GP there. Also my aunt did her doctorate (not in medicine) in Paris even though she had previously studied in English. So it's do-able : )

Get yourself a friend or even better a boyfriend/girlfriend who is fluent in French and you'll pick up very quickly ;-) (this is the case for all languages) Right now, I'm trying to perfect my English for my upcoming date with a British gentleman ;-) lol

Believe it or not, the medical terminology is really not that hard to learn because of the Latin roots. You'll find a lot of similarities with their equivalents in English. However, memorizing medical terms won't get you anywhere. Conversational or written French is a challenge to learn - even native French speakers have problems wrestling with the awful grammatical rules. Maybe you can try a research project (stage) for one summer in France. It's only when you're fully immersed in the environment that you will really pick up the language.

It all depends on how much effort you'd put in your work; medicine, languages, sports and whatever else you'd like to name, all require is a persistence attitude and a motivated mentality. Once you are motivated toward something and you are really looking forward to archive these certain goals of yours, you will reach them. It is the matter of time that might be different by every individual.

It is possible to learn French. I personally think it can be easy if you have the talent for learning language. They say it usually takes 2 - 3 years to be fully fluent. I heard stories that some international student goes there without knowing how to speak french, then after a year they pretty much communicate well. However, its good to take few classes here before going to Eu. There are Universities that offer special French program that are intensive and will make you learn from scratch. If you are thinking of doing medicine there. I heard you have to take somewhat one year medicine classes to be familiar with french medicine. And prolly take exam as well in French.

It is possible to learn French. I personally think it can be easy if you have the talent for learning language. They say it usually takes 2 - 3 years to be fully fluent. I heard stories that some international student goes there without knowing how to speak french, then after a year they pretty much communicate well. However, its good to take few classes here before going to Eu. There are Universities that offer special French program that are intensive and will make you learn from scratch. If you are thinking of doing medicine there. I heard you have to take somewhat one year medicine classes to be familiar with french medicine. And prolly take exam as well in French.

If you have an ipod, check this out http://www.frenchpodclass.com/
Excellent class for english native speakers. The content is very good. I happened to have had a chat with the author of this podcast. Both of us are French and have American wife/girlfriend who went to med scool in the US :)

hope that helps, bon courage!

Noar

The french university system is quite rough towards people who wish to come and study there...
A medical student (whatever his/her level) has to go through the first-year "concours" (PCEM1, where only the students with the best marks can go on with medical studies. Each university allows 10% of students from abroad to pass that concours (if 100 french students can pass, then 10 foreigners can pass too). Then he/she has to sit for the ECN (Examen Classant National) the next year (at the end of the 6th year for those who have to do the whole course, or at the end of the 2nd year for those who have already done 5 years in their home country). Once they're internes (junior doctors, after the ECN), it's exactly the same course than for french student.

As for those who've already qualified and are MD, it's a bit easier, because they can come and practice in an universitary hospital as FFI (Faisant Fonction d'Interne - working as junior doctor). The salary isn't great, and they can't practice alone (they're still student-like and have to have a senior doctor with them to aprove their prescriptions or supervise a surgery). And then, they have to negociate with the head of unit to get a senior doctor's job (PH, pracitien hospitalier - hospital practitioneer). Besides, there's an exam for all those (french or not) to become a hospital practitioneer.
I remember what a german doctor once told me : "In my country, I was a respected practitioneer - once I was in France, I was treated like an old student." (she had been in France 8 years and had become a PH two years after her coming).

The french university system is quite rough towards people who wish to come and study there...
A medical student (whatever his/her level) has to go through the first-year "concours" (PCEM1, where only the students with the best marks can go on with medical studies. Each university allows 10% of students from abroad to pass that concours (if 100 french students can pass, then 10 foreigners can pass too). Then he/she has to sit for the ECN (Examen Classant National) the next year (at the end of the 6th year for those who have to do the whole course, or at the end of the 2nd year for those who have already done 5 years in their home country). Once they're internes (junior doctors, after the ECN), it's exactly the same course than for french student.

As for those who've already qualified and are MD, it's a bit easier, because they can come and practice in an universitary hospital as FFI (Faisant Fonction d'Interne - working as junior doctor). The salary isn't great
, and they can't practice alone (they're still student-like and have to have a senior doctor with them to aprove their prescriptions or supervise a surgery). And then, they have to negociate with the head of unit to get a senior doctor's job (PH, pracitien hospitalier - hospital practitioneer). Besides, there's an exam for all those (french or not) to become a hospital practitioneer.
I remember what a german doctor once told me : "In my country, I was a respected practitioneer - once I was in France, I was treated like an old student." (she had been in France 8 years and had become a PH two years after her coming).

Can you explain or PM me info on how to go about doing this? Also what is the salary? :thumbup:

PM sent.
As for the salary, an FFI earn around 1300€/month, plus the duties ("gardes", I'm not sure of the word... that's when you're the one who stays at night to deal with the emergencies). One duty is 100€.
FFIs earn the salary of a first-semestry interne. The thing is, internes get pay rises as time goes, which isn't the case for FFIs.