Medical Liability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peepilis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been considering the field of dermatology but have several questions. Does anyone know how much the average dermatologist pays in medical malpractice insurance? And how big of a difference does it make for which state a dermatologist practices in? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Malpractice premiums for dermatologists are very low relative to other fields,they range around 5-10K per year depending on the state.Dermatologists who do phenol face peels,liposuction,hair transplants etc pay higher premiums.

5-10K! Whoa! Then why on earth would anyone decide to become an OBGYN and pay 60-80K?

Members don't see this ad :)
Now you know in part why Derm is so super competitive-far,far more than OB. Still you cant pick a field based on the malpractice premiums,you may not be happy with your chosen specialty.The people who enter Derm and OB/GYN are very different types.I never heard of anyone who was trying to decide between these two.

I never really considered OB. What types enter derm? The only problem I have is that i'm kind of squimish around some of the nasty stuff. How big of a problem do you think that is? I trying to overcome it though because I like medicine a lot.