Medical Licence for each state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psalm128

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok.. I am trying to clarify this in my mind. Please correct me if I am wrong. After I get a residency position offered to me in March, I need to apply for a medical licence in the state to practice. I thought I needed to be practicing in a state for a few years before they give me a medical licence? Or am I confusing 2 different things?

OR should I be applying for medical licence to every state I am applying for RIGHT NOW if I am going for the 2007 Match?

Thanks for the help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I needed to be practicing in a state for a few years before they give me a medical licence? Or am I confusing 2 different things?

A medical license enables you to practice independently. For this type of license you have to (in most states):
- pass USMLE 1-3
- proove 1-3 years of residency training.
After I get a residency position offered to me in March, I need to apply for a medical licence in the state to practice.

In order to start your residency, you don't need a full (independent) medical license. Depending on the state your residency is in, you either need nothing at all, or something called 'GME license' 'limited license' 'residents permit' or the like. For this type of limited license you need to:
- pass USMLE 1,2ck,2cs
- proove graduation from medical school
- proove acceptance into a residency program.

You don't need full licensure as a resident. You can get by with limited permit or temporary license designed for doctors-in-training.
In some states (like PA) you can get a full license after 1 year of residency (most require 3 years of ACGME training) and passing step 3. I think you can start your application during your 3rd year of residency if you know which state you are practicing as the process may take a few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
And as for the residency "permit" license the program you go to will have all the particulars and necessary paperwork for you.

Thanks for the great answers...
So.. I can wait till they offer me a position in March?
It won't take too long for an IMG to get the permit before starting in July?
Should I be preparing some documents now? If so... what sort of things can I prepare whilst I wait for an offer?

All you need for the GME permits is typically:
- your ECFMG certificate
- copies of your USMLE score reports
- your medical school diploma (with a translation from a certified translator if applicable)
- your medical school transscript or grade-book