Medical Malpractice for Med Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElZorro

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to purchase med mal for med students at a reasonable price? I have to buy supplemental malpractice for an away rotation, and the only place I have find was 1400 for the year. Well, A. I don't want to spend 1400, and B. I don't need it for the entire year. However, it seems that med mal is hard to come by. I found one other person who could sell it to me, but their liscence doesn't work in North Carolina, where I will be rotating for a month...any ideas would greatly be appreciated. I have already contacting the visiting institution and they can not budge nor do they know anybody who can help.

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding, at least at my medical school, is that it covers the malpractice when you do an away rotation. After all, you're still paying tuition to YOUR medical school...

sdnetrocks said:
My understanding, at least at my medical school, is that it covers the malpractice when you do an away rotation. After all, you're still paying tuition to YOUR medical school...

If only that were true.... all Texas schools have decided to go with 25/75 malpractice, thats right, 25,000 and 75,000. This is crazy low, most places require at least 500k/1mill. So, yes, I have med mal through my school, however, much like my health insurance, I only have it in theory. In practice, my med mal is not enough for most hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
ElZorro said:
If only that were true.... all Texas schools have decided to go with 25/75 malpractice, thats right, 25,000 and 75,000. This is crazy low, most places require at least 500k/1mill. So, yes, I have med mal through my school, however, much like my health insurance, I only have it in theory. In practice, my med mal is not enough for most hospitals.

zorro,
sorry to say it, but 1400 is a good deal. I was going to have to buy a supplement and talked to 3 people/companies-all were 1500-1700 for the year (and i only needed 1 month too). I thought long and hard and decided it was not worth it. This was not THE rotation. meaning not a place I really wanted to rotate at to see the program and for them to see me in action.
if this is THE rotation for you-go with the 1400 and consider yourself lucky.
I never understood why it is hard to come by and why it is for 1 yr and why it is sooo expensive (especially if it is a "hands off" type of rotation like rads).
Good luck,
streetdoc

Have you spoken with anyone at your school... our dean had brought up a deal on supplemental insurance based on the state you're going to... I think in 1 month segments but I'm not sure. I didn't pay much attention since I'm not doing away rotations.