medical oncology for IMG's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markglt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After 3 yrs of an internal medicine residencey, how many years of res. is it for med. oncology? Is it considered a fellowship or an extension of IM res. Not understanding how that works. Is it attainable for an IMG? What kind of step 1 score should I have? Any pertinent info. would be greatly apreciated.
M.T. MSI USE SOM

Members don't see this ad.

Med Onc is a fellowship of IM. Most programs are 2 yrs long. It's definitely not one of the most competitive specialties in IM, but I'm really not sure how attainable it is for IMGs RE scores and whatnot.

S

it's mostly a 3-year fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heme/Onc is 3, Med onc 2.

Originally posted by Surfer75
Heme/Onc is 3, Med onc 2.

You know, I've been seeing this distinction made with increasing frequency and am unsure how it all started. The Onc portion of a Hem/Onc fellowship is no different from a "Med Onc" fellowship. The ABIM has two board certification exams in this area: One for Hematology (covering both benign and malignant heme) and one for Oncology (covering both solid and hematological malignancies). There is actually considerable overlap (leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma, HSCT) between the two exams.

Completing 2 years of a Heme fellowship makes you eligible for Heme boards. Completing 2 years of Oncology fellowship makes you eligible for Onc boards. Completing a 3-year Hem/Onc fellowship makes you eligible to sit for both. The vast majority of programs out there expect you to do all 3 years. There are separate professional organizations for Heme (ASH) and Onc (ASCO), though people who focus on hematalogical malignancies will often attend both meetings.

This term "Med Onc" is a fairly recent creation. Paired with the rise of Rad Onc and the attitudes of many Surg Onc folks, the feeling arose that calling your chemo doc your "oncologist" left the others in a weird position. So the term "Med Onc" began to be circulated to refer to those oncologists who got there via the Internal Medicine route. Now we have Rad Onc, Med Onc, and Surg Onc folks, often working together as interdisciplinary teams at many institutions.

Anyway, a long response to say that "Med Onc" and oncologists who went through a complete Hem/Onc fellowship is a distinction without a difference.... ;)

Thx for the input! Yep, it can definitely get pretty confusing at times... I pm'd ya.

Originally posted by Surfer75
Med Onc is a fellowship of IM. Most programs are 2 yrs long. It's definitely not one of the most competitive specialties in IM, but I'm really not sure how attainable it is for IMGs RE scores and whatnot.

S

Its much more competitve that it was say 5 years ago. But IMGs still get it. Once you do a residency and do a commendable job, any fellowship is open (yes GI and cardio too).
steph