medical procedures' reference books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vitaliano333

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

Can anyone please give me some names of the more commonly used books on medical procedures among american students/doctors.

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what books are most commonly used as I'm sure procedures are best learned by DOING, not reading, but I have found the following helpful:

The Field Guide to Ambulatory Procedures

Practice Tips by Murtaugh (an Australian General Practitioner who offers step-by-step instructions on everything from giving injections and packing a nose for epistaxis to minor surgical procedures and placing central lines).

Most surgical handbooks will have a small section on things like placing central lines, chest tubes, etc. Something like Basic Surgical Techniques will show you common instruments and how to handle them.

Hope this helps.

There's a book for the Emergency Department... Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine... by Rogers (I am thinking?). Its a really great text. Pretty expensive but it has most of the non-general surgery procedures in it (lines, suturing, chest tubes, airway management, etc). I think its pretty invaluable, but then again I got it for free (old edition from the hospital library). I'm sure there are cheaper handbooks that people will recommend.