Medical School Academic Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyJimJim

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do academic years for medical schools in the US differ from the undergraduate semester-based model? In other words, how many months out of the year are medical students officially in school and paying tuition? Does this vary between schools and what year you're in?

Members don't see this ad.

How do academic years for medical schools in the US differ from the undergraduate semester-based model? In other words, how many months out of the year are medical students officially in school and paying tuition? Does this vary between schools and what year you're in?
From what I've seen, the first 2 years are 10 month increments, and then the last 2 years are 12 months.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Great, thanks. Is this common across most medical schools in the US?
From what I've seen from the COA pages at the schools I've looked at. But with some schools changing to 18 month preclinical courses, they might change.
But generally, that's the way I think it's set-up.

Y'know, research skills are very useful for a med school applicant...like using google and the search parameter "Academic calendar" AND [school name]. It took me all of 10 seconds and 2-3 clicks to find BU's calendar for this semester.

https://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm/files/2017/02/PrISM-Block-Calendar-2016-2017-2.15.17.pdf

Reactions: 3 users
Y'know, research skills are very useful for a med school applicant...like using google and the search parameter "Academic calendar" AND [school name]. It took me all of 10 seconds and 2-3 clicks to find BU's calendar for this semester.

https://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm/files/2017/02/PrISM-Block-Calendar-2016-2017-2.15.17.pdf
Thank you for your help. This is the second time you've leveled the accusing finger towards my asking a question in regards to general trends across medical schools. To be clear, I have not yet taken the MCAT, and so I don't know on which medical schools I should realistically set my sights. Instead of parsing through the websites of 172 medical schools in the US, I am asking general questions which I might expect those well-versed in the medical educational system to know off hand.

Also, I have Googled this in the past, and I have only ever been able to find information on individual medical schools, not general trends.

Thank you for your help. This is the second time you've leveled the accusing finger towards my asking a question in regards to general trends across medical schools. To be clear, I have not yet taken the MCAT, and so I don't know on which medical schools I should realistically set my sights. Instead of parsing through the websites of 172 medical schools in the US, I am asking general questions which I might expect those well-versed in the medical educational system to know off hand.

Also, I have Googled this in the past, and I have only ever been able to find information on individual medical schools, not general trends.
With a med school semester, you're not going to find a trend out there. This is something that will be unique to each med school, even if they're all similar. A and simple google search for several schools would have told you that.

With a med school semester, you're not going to find a trend out there. This is something that will be unique to each med school, even if they're all similar. A and simple google search for several schools would have told you that.
Alright.

Traditionally:

1st year: same as college (august - may or june)
2nd year: same as college (august - may or june); maybe a little more if they have mandatory board prep stuff
3rd year: year round (11+ months) - tuition increases this year as a result
4th year: probably year round, but is the most variable

Now given that like 50%+ of schools don't follow this schedule anymore, it's specific to individual schools. Usually they have this info on their website, but in general, during clinical years you have less time off and are paying more money.

Traditionally:

1st year: same as college (august - may or june)
2nd year: same as college (august - may or june); maybe a little more if they have mandatory board prep stuff
3rd year: year round (11+ months) - tuition increases this year as a result
4th year: probably year round, but is the most variable

Now given that like 50%+ of schools don't follow this schedule anymore, it's specific to individual schools. Usually they have this info on their website, but in general, during clinical years you have less time off and are paying more money.
Great, thanks for your help.

It depends majorly on the curriculum. The two general formats you will see:

Traditional: preclinical years- 10 months on 2 months off
Clinical- 12 months on unless you schedule an off month (example: interviews)

Accelerated: preclinical- 18 months on 6 months off. Often you can start rotations early during those 6 months or do research
Clinical: same as above

Is that not the definition of a trend? I think you are being kind of silly here