• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

medical school acceptance

Elopez216

Jun 17, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello! I’m a 25 year old living in California, I’ve always been interested in medicine since I was in high school. I volunteered at my community hospital for a couple of months right after high school. but I never thought it would be possible for me to achieve. First, I’m not a US citizen, i came to this country when I was just 2 years old and it’s all I know! That’s why I’m on the daca program (don’t know if you’re familiar with it) but it pretty much gave all the immigrant children who have been here since little a legal status that we renew every 2 years, giving us a valid social security and work authorization. That saved my life. During my first years of college I struggled to excel. It wasn’t until 2018 when I suffered a tremendous loss. I went into preterm labor at 5 months and ended up losing my baby boy, due to an infection in my placenta known as chorioamnionitis. It destroyed me.i don’t know what I would’ve done without my family support and God. It took a year to get myself back up and that led me back to medicine even more. I became so interested into being able to help and bringing them happiness with healthy pregnancies. I started researching OBGYN a lot. I wouldn’t want any women to go through what I went thru in my pre term labor. I haven’t finished undergrad. I currently work at a assisted living and memory care facility as a medication assistant and I enrolled in a EMT class in January, preparing to build up my medical school application. BUT, I failed my emt class and that really killed my motivation. Knowing I have yet to get my bachelor’s degree, not done my science prerequisites, yet to take the MCAT or anything. I know I’m so far from even applying to medical school and being already 25 it sorta scares me of the long road ahead. I really want to retake my emt class and enroll back to college to start my bachelor’s. I know it’ll be like starting all over again. Do you think I have any chance even if I have to build my low gpa back up from scratch ? Thank you so much for the advice.

JanetSnakehole

I’m a very rich widow with a terrible secret.
2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2018
the West Coast
  1. Medical Student
Hello! I’m a 25 year old living in California, I’ve always been interested in medicine since I was in high school. I volunteered at my community hospital for a couple of months right after high school. but I never thought it would be possible for me to achieve. First, I’m not a US citizen, i came to this country when I was just 2 years old and it’s all I know! That’s why I’m on the daca program (don’t know if you’re familiar with it) but it pretty much gave all the immigrant children who have been here since little a legal status that we renew every 2 years, giving us a valid social security and work authorization. That saved my life. During my first years of college I struggled to excel. It wasn’t until 2018 when I suffered a tremendous loss. I went into preterm labor at 5 months and ended up losing my baby boy, due to an infection in my placenta known as chorioamnionitis. It destroyed me.i don’t know what I would’ve done without my family support and God. It took a year to get myself back up and that led me back to medicine even more. I became so interested into being able to help and bringing them happiness with healthy pregnancies. I started researching OBGYN a lot. I wouldn’t want any women to go through what I went thru in my pre term labor. I haven’t finished undergrad. I currently work at a assisted living and memory care facility as a medication assistant and I enrolled in a EMT class in January, preparing to build up my medical school application. BUT, I failed my emt class and that really killed my motivation. Knowing I have yet to get my bachelor’s degree, not done my science prerequisites, yet to take the MCAT or anything. I know I’m so far from even applying to medical school and being already 25 it sorta scares me of the long road ahead. I really want to retake my emt class and enroll back to college to start my bachelor’s. I know it’ll be like starting all over again. Do you think I have any chance even if I have to build my low gpa back up from scratch ? Thank you so much for the advice.

What is your current cumulative GPA? Nobody can accurately predict your chances without knowing your final cumulative GPA, science GPA, and MCAT score.

But, generally speaking, you can recover from a poor academic start with a strong upward GPA trend. Since you’ve already struggled in your classes, you need to be earning all As from here on out, no exceptions. Do whatever it takes to get your GPA as high as possible before you graduate - seek tutoring, go to your school’s learning center, utilize all academic support resources available to you. If excel in your prerequisites, do well on the MCAT, and all your extracurriculars are in order, you can probably make it happen.

I am several years older than you, and I’m starting medical school this fall. Don’t let your age scare you BUT you do have a long road ahead before you’re ready to apply to medical school. Possibly several years. Only you can decide if it’s worth it.

Reactions: 1 user

Elopez216

Jun 17, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
What is your current cumulative GPA? Nobody can accurately predict your chances without knowing your final cumulative GPA, science GPA, and MCAT score.

But, generally speaking, you can recover from a poor academic start with a strong upward GPA trend. Since you’ve already struggled in your classes, you need to be earning all As from here on out, no exceptions. Do whatever it takes to get your GPA as high as possible before you graduate - seek tutoring, go to your school’s learning center, utilize all academic support resources available to you. If excel in your prerequisites, do well on the MCAT, and all your extracurriculars are in order, you can probably make it happen.

I am several years older than you, and I’m starting medical school this fall. Don’t let your age scare you BUT you do have a long road ahead before you’re ready to apply to medical school. Possibly several years. Only you can decide if it’s worth it.
Thank you so much for replying! My college gpa isn’t so well right now I believe it’s below 3.0. I know I do have a long road to just complete my undergrad. Do you think being and emt will help for future med school applications?

About the Ads

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
  1. Medical Student
I agree with what @JanetSnakehole wrote above. As far as the nontrad forum goes, you will be pleased to know that you are in the young side. Plenty of folks have pursued medicine who are much older than you. You’re looking at multiple years of classes to earn your bachelors degree, several months of studying for the MCAT, and at the very least a one year application cycle. Is it possible to do this? Absolutely. Are you guaranteed to be admitted? Unfortunately, no one knows. 60k people apply to MD programs each year for only 20k seats. Spend some time researching MD programs and requirements as well as DO programs and requirements. DOs practice in the same areas as MDs but have slightly lower GPA and MCAT ranges. It is likely that you will need to apply to both types of programs.

All this being said, take your time. Often older students feel a need to rush to get things done. Some folks who do this run into problems with their grades, MCAT scores, etc. it is better to take your time and do it right this time around. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users

Supahchungus

5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2015
  1. Medical Student
Thank you so much for replying! My college gpa isn’t so well right now I believe it’s below 3.0. I know I do have a long road to just complete my undergrad. Do you think being and emt will help for future med school applications?

Having any clinical experience helps. Whether that be through hospital volunteering, being an EMT, CNA(Nursing Assistant), or MA (Medical Assistant). If I were you I would try to shadow some OB/GYNs too before you start down this journey. Being a doctor sounds awesome, but shadowing can show you both the pros and cons of being a doctor. You have a long tough road ahead of you so make sure this is really what you want to do before going through this whole process. 25 is still young though! There were plenty of people I met on the interview trail that were applying to medical school in their 30s.

Reactions: 2 users

JanetSnakehole

I’m a very rich widow with a terrible secret.
2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2018
the West Coast
  1. Medical Student

EMT is considered clinical experience, I believe, and you will want to have 200+ clinical hours by the time you’re ready to apply. So, yes, I think it will be beneficial.

You will also want to have a lot of nonclinical/community service volunteering hours as well. Just spitballing here, but as an immigrant to the US, you could do a lot of good by volunteering with other immigrants from your country of origin - interpretation services, food/housing assistance outreach, etc. Check with local community organizations or churches for opportunities. I think medical schools would look very highly upon this type of service, and it could be tremendously beneficial to your application. You are facing an uphill battle with a sub 3.0 cGPA, but I think you also have a lot of good things to offer. Good luck!

Elopez216

Jun 17, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
EMT is considered clinical experience, I believe, and you will want to have 200+ clinical hours by the time you’re ready to apply. So, yes, I think it will be beneficial.

You will also want to have a lot of nonclinical/community service volunteering hours as well. Just spitballing here, but as an immigrant to the US, you could do a lot of good by volunteering with other immigrants from your country of origin - interpretation services, food/housing assistance outreach, etc. Check with local community organizations or churches for opportunities. I think medical schools would look very highly upon this type of service, and it could be tremendously beneficial to your application. You are facing an uphill battle with a sub 3.0 cGPA, but I think you also have a lot of good things to offer. Good luck!
Thank you for your advice!! I am determined to ride out this journey and know it will be worth it. I’m glad to join this network and I’ll be asking any more questions I might encounter if y’all don’t mind :)

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
desert highway
Elopez216 said:
I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way: You shouldn't plan on becoming a doctor if you don't have any college under your belt. Aim high, shoot for the moon (so you'll land in the stars, etc.), but if you didn't do well in high school or even middle school you can't expect to get straight As in college.

How were your grades in high school? What were your study habits like? Focus on what you can change, not what you can't change. :luck:

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
  1. Medical Student
I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way: You shouldn't plan on becoming a doctor if you don't have any college under your belt. Aim high, shoot for the moon (so you'll land in the stars, etc.), but if you didn't do well in high school or even middle school you can't expect to get straight As in college.

How were your grades in high school? What were your study habits like? Focus on what you can change, not what you can't change. :luck:

Former middle and high school teacher here and I disagree with the statement above.
Grades in middle school and high school don't really reflect one's academic abilities but rather the maturity, drive, and organizational skills of each student as well as other external factors. Plenty of students struggle in middle and high school by being immature (we are still developing at that age), lacking direction or goals one is aiming for, as well as a variety of external factors (SES, native language, etc). There are plenty of folks who are able to turn things around when they are older and have specific goals that they are aiming to achieve. This is not to say that it will be easy to turn things around. It is going to take time, reaching out for help when needed, and using the available resources at the course and institutional level. I agree that the OP should focus on the things that he/she can address like developing stronger study habits. Straight A's are not a prerequisite for medical school.

Reactions: 3 users

Elopez216

Jun 17, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Former middle and high school teacher here and I disagree with the statement above.
Grades in middle school and high school don't really reflect one's academic abilities but rather the maturity, drive, and organizational skills of each student as well as other external factors. Plenty of students struggle in middle and high school by being immature (we are still developing at that age), lacking direction or goals one is aiming for, as well as a variety of external factors (SES, native language, etc). There are plenty of folks who are able to turn things around when they are older and have specific goals that they are aiming to achieve. This is not to say that it will be easy to turn things around. It is going to take time, reaching out for help when needed, and using the available resources at the course and institutional level. I agree that the OP should focus on the things that he/she can address like developing stronger study habits. Straight A's are not a prerequisite for medical school.
Thank you so much, yes my grades in high school were a bit average but I do believe I’m much mature now and do have bigger goals. I would like to make everyone in my family proud and I know with great dedication and good study habits I can make this possible.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.