Medical school and a social life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Who

Future MD...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having a social life is important to me in order to keep my sanity. So although there are insane amounts of material to learn how do you all keep from goin insane? Do you have any social life, especially as MS1 and MS2?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hope you quickly get used to being crazy.

automaton said:
hope you quickly get used to being crazy.
err... thanks.... i think :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think everybody goes a little insane. I know that when there's a test coming up me and my buddies are downright delirious (and there's always a test coming up). Once you get used to not having a social life and being insane, it's really not that bad.

Dr Who said:
Having a social life is important to me in order to keep my sanity. So although there are insane amounts of material to learn how do you all keep from goin insane? Do you have any social life, especially as MS1 and MS2?

what did you expect in medical school pray tell?

am i the only one wondering this?

I know that I just started med school, but I have already figured out that the whole goal of medical school (besides the little endevour of actually learning and mastering the information) is to keep yourself from going crazy. What I try to do is each day, do something that has nothing to do with your studies, preferably something that relaxes you and something that you used to do before med school. Even if this is for 15-20 minutes each day, it will calm you down and help get you through the day. For some people, this is accomplished by working out, playing sports, watching television, playing video games,etc. We all need a little stress-relief. I play computer games and sports with my classmates. Sports do two important things, they relax you (take your mind off how much **** you have to study that day) and give you a bit of exercise, something every or at least most medical students are lacking. Good luck and try to keep you sanity.

2112_rush said:
I think everybody goes a little insane. I know that when there's a test coming up me and my buddies are downright delirious (and there's always a test coming up). Once you get used to not having a social life and being insane, it's really not that bad.

I think this is true, but only to a certain extent. The social life that you have totally depends on how much work you want to put into med school. I know people who take it easy a lot more than I do and have a pretty good social life. I'm a pretty neurotic studier and I don't really have too big of a social life, but that's my choice. You have to figure out how much you want to get those top grades and whether studying your life away is worth it. If you're not looking to get into a competitive field, maybe it's not worth stressing yourself out so much all the time. The point is that med school is not just studying for everyone, but can be if you want it to be like that. Depends on your goals.

mikedc813 said:
I'm a pretty neurotic studier and I don't really have too big of a social life, but that's my choice.
same here. It's not that bad ;)

Having a social life, or a life outside of medicine, SHOULD be important to everyone -- I think most people would feel like they are going insane if their whole life is medicine. As a fourth year student, I think having a social life is definitely possible, throughout all four years. I managed to get married, several of my classmates met others and got/are getting married, and most everyone seemed to have time to have lives outside of school. Hell, I had the most free/flexible time in my first two years. Granted, once I started my third year, being able to leave town on any given weekend wasn't always an option (until fourth year), but I think it's unhealthy and untrue to say that you have to give up everything outside medicine.

MS1. I make sure that I have plenty of down-time. My school tests in the block format, all at once. After exams I relax for 2 weeks, and I really mean relax. I skip a lot of classes and only read whatever is necessary for small group. Then 2 weeks from exam time I gradually study more and more. This leaves huge amounts of time for socializing or whatever you want.

dmitrinyr said:
sports with my classmates. Sports do two important things, they relax you (take your mind off how much **** you have to study that day) and give you a bit of exercise, something every or at least most medical students are lacking. Good luck and try to keep you sanity.
Damn, 23 of my classmates showed up at the rec to play b-ball this afternoon. It was really cool and a ton of fun :thumbup:

I don't know about anyone else, but for this student I have to work like a nutt to just keep up and that kind of sucks my social life down the tubes. I get to see friends after exams in that lull before we start all over again for the next round, but it's hard.

I wish I was working this hard and acing everything but I am not. :oops:

I second the 'take 15 mins for yourself each day' tho, even if it's just a walk with your dog or a chat with a friend or whatever. It helps alot.

I played basketball with about 15 fellow M1s today after class. So, others in my class must have this free time also....Then again it is only the 1st week back.

I'm a first-year, and yeah, the social life is just fine if you stay disciplined. Working out, watching tv, going out... you can do it all if you plan a little ahead and get done what you need to. Anyway, taking descent breaks makes you more efficient - you'll get more done than if you didn't break at all. Best of luck!

My friends and I have an almost daily lunch date....lunch time is lunch time unless we have a test that day. It's a fun social time and it's amazing how many chairs we can get around a little table. Occasionally, a meeting or lunch talk interferes with lunch which sucks but there's always tomorrow.

We also try to go out to dinner once a week....movies hanging out whatever. You can't study 24/7. It's up to you what you do to relax....be social, surf the net, watch TV (I have a Thursday date with the TV that I rarely miss).

It's all about balance....it's takes practice but it does get easier.

Stephanie
MS-2 Univ of Cincinnati

as a first year, i went out of the way to make friends outside of medical school. also, when i moved here, i already knew a handful of people living in this town. these two things helped me hold onto my sanity. now, as a 2nd year, i still get to see my bf a few times a week (he lives an hr away but is soon moving to another state) and i get to spend time w/friends about once a week. i have a lot of time in there for myself, too, where i go running or work out, clean my house, do some reading for pleasure, etc. my social life isn't all that much different from when i was working full time.

it's about priorities ... for me, a balanced life is ESSENTIAL, especially for maintenance of my sanity. i'll up all the straight-honors for some semblance of a life. and if i'm a happier person, i do better in my classes and can tolerate all the studying much better anyway. 3rd year will likely be a little different and more stressed, but i have to make time for myself or i'll go nuts. :)