Medical School Applicant - Former D1 and Professional Athlete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ac0145

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking prerequisites and studying for the MCAT which I will take in September. I am going to be applying this cycle and just wanted to see what you all thought about my situation. I played division 1 soccer and professional soccer for 2 years and now I have decided to apply to medical school.

My overall GPA (2010-2014) and now (2017-2018) is a 3.2
I currently have a 3.67 science GPA (which includes my C and B in Gen Chem 1 and 2 from 2011)
Since going back to take classes I have a 3.91 GPA which includes Psych, Statistics, Physics 1 and 2, Orgo 1 and 2 and Bio 1 and 2, all with labs.

300+ shadowing experience
30 hours of volunteering

I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight of what people thought my chances will be if I do well on my MCAT and if you think a post bacc program/masters will definitely be in my future to increase my chances. I am also 26 years old and feel like time is not on my side.

Members don't see this ad.

We need more specifics. Are you taking classes at a 4 year university or CC? When you say shadowing, do you mean shadowing a physician? Also, what kind of volunteering are those 30 hours? You'll definitely need a bit more in that department no water what kind of volunteering it was/is though. Are you currently volunteering? Do you have any research experience? It's hard to give you an idea of your chances if we don't have more information.

I would also see if @Goro, @Catalystik or @LizzyM have anything to add.

I am currently taking prerequisites and studying for the MCAT which I will take in September. I am going to be applying this cycle and just wanted to see what you all thought about my situation. I played division 1 soccer and professional soccer for 2 years and now I have decided to apply to medical school.

I currently have a 3.67 science GPA (which includes my C and B in Gen Chem 1 and 2 from 2011)
Since going back to take classes I have a 3.91 GPA which includes Psych, Statistics, Physics 1 and 2, Orgo 1 and 2 and Bio 1 and 2, all with labs.

30 hours of volunteering

I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight of what people thought my chances will be if I do well on my MCAT and if you think a post bacc program/masters will definitely be in my future to increase my chances. I am also 26 years old and feel like time is not on my side.
What active clinical experience do you have? IMO top-heavy shadowing (a passive observer activity) will not substitute for sparse experience in interacting with current patients for either MD or DO applicants.

Becoming complete at the end of a cycle and having lower stats is not going to end well for MD applications.

Extraordinary achievement in a field of endeavor is in your favor, but doesn't make up for having so little volunteering or clinical experience.

You're only 26 and you're feeling time pressure? I have a colleague who started med school in his 50s.

Recommendations: do not apply this cycle. Beef up your experiences. Apply next June. Do it right. Do it once. Take all the time you need to repeatedly score in your target zone on multiple MCAT practice tests.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

30 hours of volunteering

I agree 1000% with the wise Cat. The lack of clinical experience is lethal. My student interviewers would eat you alive. Do you have non-clinical volunteering as well? If not, you need to show off your altruism.

I don't' foresee a need to do post-bac or SMP.

Sorry for the lack of details.

I am currently taking classes at a 4 year institution. I am planning on taking additional science classes this entire year even though I am done with my prerequisites (exception of Biochem) for most MD programs. I shadowed in the hospital, clinical settings of the physicians, operating rooms, CATH labs. I am currently volunteering at a Cancer Institute and coaching soccer at the boys and girls club.

I do not have any research experience right now.

I have been told by one Dean of admissions of an MD program to apply this cycle and by many other people currently in medical school but deep down I feel an extra year would/could benefit me. I feel a lot of pressure to apply as soon as possible and try to get in, which is causing me a bit of anxiety I must say...

Thank you all for your input too! This is an awesome tool to reach out to get people's advice.

Sorry for the lack of details.

I am currently taking classes at a 4 year institution. I am planning on taking additional science classes this entire year even though I am done with my prerequisites (exception of Biochem) for most MD programs. I shadowed in the hospital, clinical settings of the physicians, operating rooms, CATH labs. I am currently volunteering at a Cancer Institute and coaching soccer at the boys and girls club.

I do not have any research experience right now.

I have been told by one Dean of admissions of an MD program to apply this cycle and by many other people currently in medical school but deep down I feel an extra year would/could benefit me. I feel a lot of pressure to apply as soon as possible and try to get in, which is causing me a bit of anxiety I must say...

Thank you all for your input too! This is an awesome tool to reach out to get people's advice.
Personally, I think you'll be fine without research on your application.

Personally, I think you'll be fine without research on your application.

I have been told that, if I did wait until next cycle I could always try to find research to improve my resume.

I have been told that, if I did wait until next cycle I could always try to find research to improve my resume.
And if you decide to get some, be aware that one term is enough, so long as you gain an understanding of the scientific method. Whatever project you participate in, you can ask to read the original grant application which will detail the entire project (hypothesis, methods) and cite background papers on which it's based. One year is about the average listed.

Reactions: 1 user

30 hours of volunteering

Ok so I wanted to respond even though you’ve got some good advice already. Our situation is pretty similar. There are no “professionals” in my sport, but I was a D1 athlete as well as an elite athlete post college. I also am 26 and our GPAs are similar (my cGPA is a 3.4x and my sGPA is a 3.6x). You’re taking the MCAT in September and applying this cycle?? To me, that seems rushed. I agree with what everyone said about applying next cycle. To give you an idea, I will have 400+ hours of volunteer experience and 400+ hours of clinical experience when I apply next cycle. Over this next year, can you find some focused volunteering that relates to your story to really beef up your application? Build your brand... volunteer to coach soccer for disadvantaged kids or something. I am a part of the LGBTQ community and I work with LGBTQ kids. I do focused volunteer activities that relate to what I am passionate about.

You also need to get some clinical hours with patients. Honestly, scribing is done by almost every premed, however if you get a good doctor, it can really make a difference. I have learned SO much scribing and have built many incredible relationships. I have learned how doctors and nurses and staff should all interact, I’ve learned about patient care and bedside manner, I’ve learned how to write HPIs and chart effectively. I would not trade my scribing experience for the world. I don’t think you need research, but if you’re going to take the next year, try and find something that’ll help you learn and build connections.

What’re you scoring on your practice exams since you’re taking the mcat soon? Also I am offended you feel rushed at 26. Haha we are NOT old!

Reactions: 2 users
Ok so I wanted to respond even though you’ve got some good advice already. Our situation is pretty similar. There are no “professionals” in my sport, but I was a D1 athlete as well as an elite athlete post college. I also am 26 and our GPAs are similar (my cGPA is a 3.4x and my sGPA is a 3.6x). You’re taking the MCAT in September and applying this cycle?? To me, that seems rushed. I agree with what everyone said about applying next cycle. To give you an idea, I will have 400+ hours of volunteer experience and 400+ hours of clinical experience when I apply next cycle. Over this next year, can you find some focused volunteering that relates to your story to really beef up your application? Build your brand... volunteer to coach soccer for disadvantaged kids or something. I am a part of the LGBTQ community and I work with LGBTQ kids. I do focused volunteer activities that relate to what I am passionate about.

You also need to get some clinical hours with patients. Honestly, scribing is done by almost every premed, however if you get a good doctor, it can really make a difference. I have learned SO much scribing and have built many incredible relationships. I have learned how doctors and nurses and staff should all interact, I’ve learned about patient care and bedside manner, I’ve learned how to write HPIs and chart effectively. I would not trade my scribing experience for the world. I don’t think you need research, but if you’re going to take the next year, try and find something that’ll help you learn and build connections.

What’re you scoring on your practice exams since you’re taking the mcat soon? Also I am offended you feel rushed at 26. Haha we are NOT old!

I do feel rushed but have had some pressure of applying this cycle by several people (including people paying the bills) but I think I need to listen to my gut on this one. Are you taking classes while you are doing this volunteer and clinical experience? Volunteering at the cancer institute I have been interacting with patients and taking vitals so that has been very beneficial. I have also been coaching soccer at the boys and girls club so that has been fun too. I am trying to balance volunteering, taking summer classes, and studying for the MCAT all at the same time so it has been a little crammed and rushed. Definitely doable, but rushed and I feel a bit silly to rush a process like this.

I have been scoring in the 490's in the Kaplan Full Lengths and haven't taken Biochem and won't until after this fall.

I do feel rushed but have had some pressure of applying this cycle by several people (including people paying the bills) but I think I need to listen to my gut on this one. Are you taking classes while you are doing this volunteer and clinical experience? Volunteering at the cancer institute I have been interacting with patients and taking vitals so that has been very beneficial. I have also been coaching soccer at the boys and girls club so that has been fun too. I am trying to balance volunteering, taking summer classes, and studying for the MCAT all at the same time so it has been a little crammed and rushed. Definitely doable, but rushed and I feel a bit silly to rush a process like this.

I have been scoring in the 490's in the Kaplan Full Lengths and haven't taken Biochem and won't until after this fall.

Ok so based on what you’ve said, I recommend canceling your MCAT. If you’re scoring 490s and take your exam in one month, I wouldn’t feel comfortable proceeding. Also, you haven’t had biochem, so you’re really setting yourself up for failure. If I were you, I would take the fall semester to do well in Biochemistry and really hit the volunteering hours and shadowing hours hard. I would then study for the MCAT January-April and take it one and done at the end of April. You need a strong biochem background for the MCAT and your practice scores are indicative of that.

Here is what I did. I left my full time job in 2016 to move back home across the country to complete my pre reqs. I luckily had enough money saved up to pay for almost two years of pre reqs without loans and my parents were nice enough to let me live with them for free. From June 2016-June 2017, I focused solely on pre reqs as I had never taken a collegiate level science class. Once I finished Ochem I and II that summer, I picked up volunteering and shadowing. I also have a photography business that paid for the remainder of my pre reqs, so I was “working.” Once I finished my pre reqs last fall semester, I picked up scribing while taking relevant science classes part time. I originally had planned to take the mcat in April 2018 and apply this cycle, however I did not feel like my app was strong enough, and applying only once was important to me.

I understand financially wanting to rush and I’m very fortunate to now have a fiancé since moving home who I live with and who has a good job, so finances aren’t as strained. I also make good money scribing because it’s a private practice and I’m the only scribe there. Remember that applying to medical school is expensive, and while you feel rushed, you really want to only apply once. Even taking the mcat twice is expensive. I personally would cancel before you don’t get any money back (unfortunately you cannot reschedule for September test dates because the 2019 dates haven’t been released. You’ll eat about $150 of what you paid, but that’s better than 300$).

Your extracurriculars sound good! Just focus on getting more hours. Also, if you’re strapped for cash I do highly recommend scribing part time. Don’t go through a scribing company if you can avoid it, the pay is crap. If you can get lucky with a private practice, the experience is worth taking a little pay cut. I cannot stress enough how incredible it has been for me. I might’ve gotten lucky, but if you search enough, you might be able to find yourself in a good practice with decent pay.

eta: oh also... I haven’t taken the MCAT. I actually was studying to take it in September but have had 3 surgical procedures and some unforeseen illnesses in the last few months. I was upset as I had spent a lot of time studying, but since I’m not applying until 2019, there’s no reason for me to rush to take it in September. I’m not interested in gambling my future with medical school just because I want the exam to be over with. I gave myself 4 months to study while working part time, and I felt that was sufficient enough with the 2.5 months I spent studying. I was doing well with UWorld and felt like I had enough time to cover the matierial sufficiently.

Last edited:
Ok so based on what you’ve said, I recommend canceling your MCAT. If you’re scoring 490s and take your exam in one month, I wouldn’t feel comfortable proceeding. Also, you haven’t had biochem, so you’re really setting yourself up for failure. If I were you, I would take the fall semester to do well in Biochemistry and really hit the volunteering hours and shadowing hours hard. I would then study for the MCAT January-April and take it one and done at the end of April. You need a strong biochem background for the MCAT and your practice scores are indicative of that.

Here is what I did. I left my full time job in 2016 to move back home across the country to complete my pre reqs. I luckily had enough money saved up to pay for almost two years of pre reqs without loans and my parents were nice enough to let me live with them for free. From June 2016-June 2017, I focused solely on pre reqs as I had never taken a collegiate level science class. Once I finished Ochem I and II that summer, I picked up volunteering and shadowing. I also have a photography business that paid for the remainder of my pre reqs, so I was “working.” Once I finished my pre reqs last fall semester, I picked up scribing while taking relevant science classes part time. I originally had planned to take the mcat in April 2018 and apply this cycle, however I did not feel like my app was strong enough, and applying only once was important to me.

I understand financially wanting to rush and I’m very fortunate to now have a fiancé since moving home who I live with and who has a good job, so finances aren’t as strained. I also make good money scribing because it’s a private practice and I’m the only scribe there. Remember that applying to medical school is expensive, and while you feel rushed, you really want to only apply once. Even taking the mcat twice is expensive. I personally would cancel before you don’t get any money back (unfortunately you cannot reschedule for September test dates because the 2019 dates haven’t been released. You’ll eat about $150 of what you paid, but that’s better than 300$).

Your extracurriculars sound good! Just focus on getting more hours. Also, if you’re strapped for cash I do highly recommend scribing part time. Don’t go through a scribing company if you can avoid it, the pay is crap. If you can get lucky with a private practice, the experience is worth taking a little pay cut. I cannot stress enough how incredible it has been for me. I might’ve gotten lucky, but if you search enough, you might be able to find yourself in a good practice with decent pay.

eta: oh also... I haven’t taken the MCAT. I actually was studying to take it in September but have had 3 surgical procedures and some unforeseen illnesses in the last few months. I was upset as I had spent a lot of time studying, but since I’m not applying until 2019, there’s no reason for me to rush to take it in September. I’m not interested in gambling my future with medical school just because I want the exam to be over with. I gave myself 4 months to study while working part time, and I felt that was sufficient enough with the 2.5 months I spent studying. I was doing well with UWorld and felt like I had enough time to cover the matierial sufficiently.

I definitely would feel more comfortable doing what you have said. Luckily my dad is a pretty successful surgeon and is helping me along the way. I will have a few talks with him and see what he has to say but looking back 20-30 years from now, one year to apply myself in school and study for the MCAT as well as I can, with hopefully a part time job is not going to make me feel an immense amount of regret..haha.

I have had a few job opportunities in the hospital but have had a full time course load while trying to prepare for the MCAT so I haven't had the time to take that on as well but in the fall and spring now I could probably work something out.

Thank you so much for your story and advice, as it sounds like we have similar paths.

I definitely would feel more comfortable doing what you have said. Luckily my dad is a pretty successful surgeon and is helping me along the way. I will have a few talks with him and see what he has to say but looking back 20-30 years from now, one year to apply myself in school and study for the MCAT as well as I can, with hopefully a part time job is not going to make me feel an immense amount of regret..haha.

I have had a few job opportunities in the hospital but have had a full time course load while trying to prepare for the MCAT so I haven't had the time to take that on as well but in the fall and spring now I could probably work something out.

Thank you so much for your story and advice, as it sounds like we have similar paths.

You definitely have a lot of great resources available to you with your dad then! Best of luck to you moving forward... you have your whole life ahead of you still. One year doesn’t make a difference in the grand scheme of things

Reactions: 1 user