Medical School Application Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kpacific

Reaction score
Hi! So I currently am a Junior in college, I have a biology major with a minor in psychology. I go to school full time and work full time...I have about 100-150 hrs of volunteering from various places, I’m going to be getting about 40hrs of shadowing this winter, and then I’m starting a Full time job doing phlebotomy which will help with clinical experience.

I guess my question is if I don’t have a lot of volunteer or shadowing hours but its due to me having to work full time to pay for school and support my self, do I still have a good chance of getting in to medical schools?
of course depending on stats...rn my gpa is a 3.5 and working on taking the MCAT

Or at least will they recognize that I won’t have a ton of hours due to having to work?

Members don't see this ad.

On your app you will be able to list your work experience so committees will have a sense for how you spent your time. You definitely want to shoot for 50 shadowing hours and have time spent in a clinical setting. Volunteering in non medical settings is recommended but understandable that you wouldn’t have a large number of hours due to your work commitments. Remember, if you’re feeling like your app isn’t where you want it to be with regards to ECs and hours, you can always take a gap year. Medical schools aren’t going anywhere.

As a side note, if your profile pic is an actual picture of yourself, it is recommended that you change it to something else to preserve your anonymity.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! So I currently am a Junior in college, I have a biology major with a minor in psychology. I go to school full time and work full time...I have about 100-150 hrs of volunteering from various places, I’m going to be getting about 40hrs of shadowing this winter, and then I’m starting a Full time job doing phlebotomy which will help with clinical experience.

I guess my question is if I don’t have a lot of volunteer or shadowing hours but its due to me having to work full time to pay for school and support my self, do I still have a good chance of getting in to medical schools?
of course depending on stats...rn my gpa is a 3.5 and working on taking the MCAT

Or at least will they recognize that I won’t have a ton of hours due to having to work?
I'm going to lean towards no. You are expected to get those ECs in. Take a gap year, if needed. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user