This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petal15

Reaction score
Hi everyone !

I recently applied to 15 schools (10 DO schools and 5 in states MD schools, FLORIDA) for this application cycle of 2020. Some quick stats...
MCAT : 499 (44th percentile)
Chem/physics: 125 54%
CARS : 122 23%
Bio: 125 51%
Psych: 127 70%
Overall Bachelors of science in nursing GPA : 3.25
Cumulative with transfer credits: 3.52
Science (prerequisite) GPA: 3.67

Now.. i know my MCAT score is not the greatest. Obviously I only applied to schools where my score was above their minimum requirement and close to their average. My GPA is explainable, the nursing school I went to had a different grading scale (A was >93, B was >85 and a C was >70) so most of my numerical grades would sit in the A-B range on a normal grading scale. I did well in all of the medical school required classes, like chemistry, organic chem, bio chem and physics.
I had a few people read over my essays and personal statements, which were said to be fine. Most of my answers were geared towards my nursing experience and why i want to switch to MD/DO
I managed to get 2 professor LOR (which i haven't worked with in years ) and a DR i use to work with and my supervisor (Nursing Sup.)
I have been working as a nurse for 4+ years. So clinical experience .. I have plenty. I did not put official shadowing, because i have been working as a nurse.
I do not have the classic application since I have been out of school for so long, so I felt like a lot of the questions and recommendations did not fit me well because i am not currently in college or recently left. Even if I did "research" in college, would it even matter now 5 years later? I had done lots of "leadership" type things in college which i felt silly adding because they were 6 or so years ago.
I have essentially no preference to where I go to school

Here are the schools i applied to
DO: A.T still, AZCOM, Edward via (carolina and virginia campus), Campbell, CA Health science, Rocky Vista (CO and UT), Touro (nevada), Western Uni (pacific NW) and Nova.
I filled out secondary apps for all schools, received a "no invite for interview" for all except Western and CA Health science (waiting to hear if i can get an interview )
MD: FIU, FSU, USF, UCF and UF
Have filled out secondary for all except UCF (didnt meet min MCAT of 500) and have not heard back about interviews for any MD school.

I am not to hopeful about getting in this cycle. I am wondering what i should do for next cycle?
Should i get an application coach? help read my essays and collect LORs? Fluff up my current experience ?
I know many people say "just retake the MCAT"... that test scares me (testing anxiety). i studied HARD for 5 months, reading, taking full practice exams and questions. (granted i was finishing up my last prereq, and working full time). I would still be working full time if i did decide to study again (but no more classes). I am worried about doing worse!
Should i email some of the schools i was rejected from and ask what was wrong with my app? (how do you format that, has anyone else done that?)

What do my peers suggest? and please remember i am not a "traditional" applicant, I have my BSN and have been working bedside nursing critical care for 4+ years.

Members don't see this ad.

MD schools are unlikely with your MCAT of 499 but you may receive an interview at FSU. You should apply to many more DO schools where you could receive an interview with a MCAT of 499. I suggest adding all of these schools this week:
VCOM (the other 2 schools)
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
Noorda-COM (new school)
BCOM
LMU-DCOM
LUCOM
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
MD schools are unlikely with your MCAT of 499 but you may receive an interview at FSU. You should apply to many more DO schools where you could receive an interview with a MCAT of 499. I suggest adding all of these schools this week:
VCOM (the other 2 schools)
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
Noorda-COM (new school)
BCOM
LMU-DCOM
LUCOM
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews.
Thank you I feel hopeful! Should I try to send out primary apps for thoes schools now ? Or is it to late ?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not late to send out your primaries now for DO schools.
Thank you ! took your advice and sent out to all of thoes schools you listed! i think i skipped one because it did state the minimum mcat was 500 so i didnt want to waste my money.