Medical School Application (So far) - WAMC MD & DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RK2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've had an sdn account for awhile now but never posted a thread to ask others for their opinions before. I've read through many posts from other hopefuls about their stats and applications and I wanted to try and get some opinions on my own. This will be a bit long so I'm sorry in advance but I want to give you guys everything from how many credits I took each semester to my trend in GPA.

I am applying for the 2022-2023 cycle which is May 2022 and I just graduated from UMass Lowell with a degree in biology/pre-med track (also graduated with honors). I am a Massachusetts resident (born and raised). I haven't taken the MCAT yet as my test date is September 2nd of this year but I'd like to provide my current stats to see where I am at. Before applying in May 2022, I am doing a year post-bacc and as of now my post-bacc cGPA/sGPA (all courses that I am taking in my post-bacc are science courses) is a 4.0. I'd also like to be straight forward in my application and for you all to give me your honest opinions. My GPA is not as high as I would like it to be due to my beginning years of undergrad and having personal and rough problems that we all have. I am not afraid to give you guys my GPA trend year by year and would like to see if you guys think my GPA trend is good enough as an upward trend (AMCAS and AACOMAS).

AMCAS (MD)
Freshman Year: 1.24 cGPA, 1.06 sGPA - (Fall Term: 15 credits, Spring Term: 14 credits)
Sophomore Year: 2.45 cGPA, 2.36 sGPA - (Fall Term: 10 credits, Spring Term: 20 credits)
Junior Year: 3.38 cGPA, 2.87 sGPA - (Fall Term: 19 credits, Spring Term: 20 credits, Summer Term: 22 credits)
Senior Year: 3.81 cGPA, 3.80 sGPA - (Fall Term: 15 credits, Winter Term: 6 credits, Spring Term: 27 credits)
Post-bacc: 4.0 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA (53 credits)

Overall AMCAS cGPA: 3.21
Overall AMCAS sGPA: 3.21

AACOMAS (DO)
Freshman Year: 1.24 cGPA, 1.77 sGPA - (Fall Term: 15 credits, Spring Term: 14 credits)
Sophomore Year: 2.45 cGPA, 2.56 sGPA - (Fall Term: 10 credits, Spring Term: 20 credits)
Junior Year: 3.38 cGPA, 2.87 sGPA - (Fall Term: 19 credits, Spring Term: 20 credits, Summer Term: 22 credits)
Senior Year: 3.81 cGPA, 3.80 sGPA - (Fall Term: 15 credits, Winter Term: 6 credits, Spring Term: 27 credits)

Overall AACOMAS cGPA: 3.21
Overall AACOMAS sGPA: 3.45

Extracurriculars/Volunteer Experience/Skills
- Home Health Aide (6000+ hours from 2016-2020, clinical paid experience)
- Patient Care Assistant/Technician (5000+ hours from 2018 - Present, clinical paid experience)
- Home Health Aide: Different employer (2000+ hours from 2020 - Present, clinical paid experience)
- ACLS Certification Training Program
- UMass Lowell Intramural Volleyball (2018-2020)
- UMass Lowell Table Tennis Club (2019-2020)
- UMass Lowell Intramural Basketball (2019)
- UMass Lowell Pre-med Club
- Assistant JV Boys Volleyball Coach for High School
- American Red Cross Blood Drive Screener (Non-clinical)
- Hospital Mass Vaccine Program (clinical/non-clinical)
- UMass Medical School Vaccine Corps (Non-clinical)
- DO/MD shadowing (multiple doctors, ongoing)
- Trilingual: English, Khmer, Chinese (Mandarin)
- URM (Cambodian-American)

MD School List
1. UMass Medical School
2. Tufts University School of Medicine
3. Boston University School of Medicine
4. Geisel School of Medicine
5. University of Vermont School of Medicine
6. Quinnipiac University School of Medicine
7. New York Medical College
8. Drexel University College of Medicine
9. Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
10. Wayne State University School of Medicine

DO School List
1. University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)
2. New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM) - New York
3. Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York
4. Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) - Pennsylvania
5. Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) - South Georgia
6. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) - Pennsylvania
7. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) - New York
8. Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) - Virginia
9. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)
10. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine (LUCOM) - Virginia
11. Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) - Alabama
12. Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM) - Clearwater, Florida
13. Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM) - Fort Lauderdale, Florida
14. Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM) - Tennessee
15. University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM) - Kentucky
16. University of the Incarnate World School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM) - Texas
17. A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-SOMA) - Arizona
18. A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-KCOM) - Missouri
19. Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM) - Iowa
20. Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (CCOM/MWU) - Chicago, Illinois
21. Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) - New Mexico
22. Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) - Arkansas
23. California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine (CHSU-COM) - California
24. Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Colorado

As you guys can see, I really had to work my butt off beginning the end of my freshman year and still going strong now. Some of you may think I'm crazy for taking 20 credits in a semester and even a whopping 27 credits in one semester but that's just the determination and perseverance I have because I know getting into medical school take a lot of hard work and stamina. I have put in hours and years of my time volunteering and getting as much clinical exposure as I possibly can, while also joining clubs and sports that I love to play. The medical schools listed above are the schools that I will be applying to in hopes to get an interview. They are ordered by preference. The post-bacc I am currently in guarantees me an interview to one of the medical schools on the DO list (LECOM). I'm applying to DO schools for the majority since I know my stats are below those for MD schools and also because even though I am sick of hearing about MD vs DO, as long as you are able to be accepted to medical school and become a doctor, you can go into whatever specialty you choose and it isn't impossible like some people think. Yes, for DOs it may be a bit harder to match into the harder specialties such as surgery, but it isn't impossible. At the end of the day, all I want to become is a doctor who can help and cure people.

My main questions are:
1. What do you guys think of my GPA and most importantly my GPA trend?
2. What do you guys think of my extracurriculars/volunteer experience so far?
3. How is my school list coming along and what should I add or remove from the lists?

Many people will tell me that they can't say what schools I am competitive for without an MCAT score and I understand that but if anyone can give some feedback on the other areas of my application, it would really be beneficial to me! I only want to know what people think of my application and not just the stats. I spent all my energy and time to reinvent and strengthen my application the best I possibly could. Last but not least, I'm again sorry for this really long post but I hope people can read it over and give me their honest opinions on what they think of my application so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I've had an sdn account for awhile now but never posted a thread to ask others for their opinions before. I've read through many posts from other hopefuls about their stats and applications and I wanted to try and get some opinions on my own. This will be a bit long so I'm sorry in advance but I want to give you guys everything from how many credits I took each semester to my trend in GPA.

I am applying for the 2022-2023 cycle which is May 2022 and I just graduated from UMass Lowell with a degree in biology/pre-med track (also graduated with honors). I am a Massachusetts resident (born and raised). I haven't taken the MCAT yet as my test date is September 2nd of this year but I'd like to provide my current stats to see where I am at. Before applying in May 2022, I am doing a year post-bacc and as of now my post-bacc cGPA/sGPA (all courses that I am taking in my post-bacc are science courses) is a 4.0. I'd also like to be straight forward in my application and for you all to give me your honest opinions. My GPA is not as high as I would like it to be due to my beginning years of undergrad and having personal and rough problems that we all have. I am not afraid to give you guys my GPA trend year by year and would like to see if you guys think my GPA trend is good enough as an upward trend (AMCAS and AACOMAS).

AMCAS (MD)
Freshman Year: 1.24 cGPA, 1.06 sGPA - (Fall Term: 15 credits, Spring Term: 14 credits)
Sophomore Year: 2.45 cGPA, 2.36 sGPA - (Fall Term: 10 credits, Spring Term: 20 credits)

Overall AMCAS cGPA: 3.21
Overall AMCAS sGPA: 3.21

AACOMAS (DO)
Freshman Year: 1.24 cGPA, 1.77 sGPA - (Fall Term: 15 credits, Spring Term: 14 credits)
Sophomore Year: 2.45 cGPA, 2.56 sGPA - (Fall Term: 10 credits, Spring Term: 20 credits)

Overall AACOMAS cGPA: 3.21
Overall AACOMAS sGPA: 3.45

Extracurriculars/Volunteer Experience/Skills
- Home Health Aide (6000+ hours from 2016-2020, clinical paid experience)
- Patient Care Assistant/Technician (5000+ hours 2018-Present, clinical paid experience)
- Home Health Aide: Different employer (2000+ hours 2020 - Present, clinical paid experience)
- ACLS Certification Training Program
- UMass Lowell Intramural Volleyball (2018-2020)
- UMass Lowell Table Tennis Club (2019-2020)
- UMass Lowell Intramural Basketball (2019)
- UMass Lowell Pre-med Club
- Assistant JV Boys Volleyball Coach for High School
- American Red Cross Blood Drive Screener
- Hospital Mass Vaccine Program (clinical/non-clinical)
- UMass Medical School Vaccine Corps
- DO/MD shadowing (multiple doctors, ongoing)
- Trilingual: English, Khmer, Chinese (Mandarin)
- URM (Cambodian-American)

MD School List
1. UMass Medical School
2. Tufts University School of Medicine
3. Boston University School of Medicine
4. Geisel School of Medicine
5. University of Vermont School of Medicine
6. Quinnipiac University School of Medicine
7. New York Medical College
8. Drexel University College of Medicine
9. Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
10. Wayne State University School of Medicine

DO School List
1. University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)
2. New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM) - New York
3. Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York
4. Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) - Pennsylvania
5. Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) - South Georgia
6. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) - Pennsylvania
7. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) - New York
8. Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) - Virginia
9. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)
10. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine (LUCOM) - Virginia
11. Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) - Alabama
12. Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM) - Clearwater, Florida
13. Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM) - Fort Lauderdale, Florida
14. Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM) - Tennessee
15. University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM) - Kentucky
16. University of the Incarnate World School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM) - Texas
17. A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-SOMA) - Arizona
18. A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-KCOM) - Missouri
19. Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM) - Iowa
20. Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (CCOM/MWU) - Chicago, Illinois
21. Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) - New Mexico
22. Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) - Arkansas
23. California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine (CHSU-COM) - California
24. Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Colorado

As you guys can see, I really had to work my butt off beginning the end of my freshman year and still going strong now. Some of you may think I'm crazy for taking 20 credits in a semester and even a whopping 27 credits in one semester but that's just the determination and perseverance I have because I know getting into medical school take a lot of hard work and stamina. I have put in hours and years of my time volunteering and getting as much clinical exposure as I possibly can, while also joining clubs and sports that I love to play. The medical schools listed above are the schools that I will be applying to in hopes to get an interview. They are ordered by preference. The post-bacc I am currently in guarantees me an interview to one of the medical schools on the DO list (LECOM). I'm applying to DO schools for the majority since I know my stats are below those for MD schools and also because even though I am sick of hearing about MD vs DO, as long as you are able to be accepted to medical school and become a doctor, you can go into whatever specialty you choose and it isn't impossible like some people think. Yes, for DOs it may be a bit harder to match into the harder specialties such as surgery, but it isn't impossible. At the end of the day, all I want to become is a doctor who can help and cure people.

My main questions are:
3. How is my school list coming along and what should I add or remove from the lists?

Many people will tell me that they can't say what schools I am competitive for without an MCAT score and I understand that but I only want to know what people think of my application and not just the stats. I spent all my energy and time to reinvent and strengthen my application the best I possibly could. Last but not least, I'm agains sorry for this really long post but I hope people can read it over and give me their honest opinions on what they think of my application so far.
Upward trend on the GPA looks really good, and it looks like you have some really solid clinical experience. The only thing I don't see stand out is much nonclinical volunteering (or volunteering in general), but you may have just not marked the activities as such above. If you don't have any, that's something I'd look to improve on in the coming year before your application cycle.

As far as the school list goes, as much as you probably don't want to hear this nobody can advise you on this without an MCAT score. Simply put., no matter how strong your application may be, you're going to have a rough time applying if you don't have a reasonable score on the MCAT. Post this again with an MCAT score next year and the wise adcoms on here will be able to help you craft a school list to maximize your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Giving any advice here without an MCAT score would be silly at best, malicious at worse. Your upward trend is your best friend thus far.

Reactions: 1 user
My main questions are:

Lovely rising GPA trend
Tons of medical experience. I'd like to see more service to others less fortunate than yourself. Many of the schools that reward reinvention are service loving.
Many people will tell me that they can't say what schools I am competitive for without an MCAT score and I understand that

Then there's no need for #3 now. Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can advise properly

Reactions: 1 users