This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lilac_heistress

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
  • cGPA as calculated by AMCAS: 3.835
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 521 (131/128/130/132)
  • State of residence or country of citizenship: Illinois, US resident
  • Ethnicity and/or race: Asian Female
  • Undergraduate institution or category: OOS mid tier
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): CNA and Direct Care Professional (630 hours)
  • Research experience and productivity: 1000 hours of basic science research. I will have a poster and thesis for sure. I have pub in review, unsure if it will be out by this May as of right now. I also have 180 hours of clinical research in the ER
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 68 hours (ER, Neurosurgery, Family medicine, Internal med)
  • Non-clinical volunteering: Ronald McDonald House and American Cancer Society (300 hours)
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): TA for 3 years (450 years, working on a DEIJ initiative within my department), I was president of a women's health org (we worked closely with planned parenthood) and the previous year I served as education chair for the org, I was a general member of my college's student board
  • Relevant honors or awards: Dean's list
  • Anything else not listed you think might be important: Potential grade concern. I was able to maintain an upward trend for all semesters except fall semester when I got a C+ in an upper level bio class and a B in another upper level major class. I'm not sure how this will impact my application but I am working to bring up my grades this last semester
  • LOR: 1 MD (strong), lab PI (strong), 1 nonscience faculty, 2 science faculty
This is my school list, I have most of my support system outside of Illinois so I would prefer to move out of state for medical school if possible so I'm looking for advice on high yield OOS friendly schools. I'm unsure if I have too many unrealistic T20's. I am planning on applying to 5 max but unsure whether the ones I selected are too unrealistic. And applying to 30 schools max so I could add 2 more schools right now. Any advice and suggestions on potential swaps to make would be much appreciated:

Reach: Yale, Cornell, Stanford, Duke, Harvard (thinking of swapping for Columbia?)
Others: Mt.Sinai, Hofstra, Emory, Einstein, Quinnipiac, VCU, University of Cincinnati, OSU, University of Rochester, Geisinger, Boston University, Case Western, UCLA, Tufts, Wake Forest, Pitt, Sidney Kimmel, Hackensack, Temple, Stony Brook,
Schools w connections to (residency/undergrad institution): UMN, UIC, Rush, Rosalind Franklin