Medical School Application Thread Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay2910

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

About this upcoming 2014-2015 application year.

1)Do you have any tips on just prioritizing the things that you needed to do( besides the PS, the LOR and the Pre-comittee Packet)?

2) Can you give me a glimpse of what you did when during the med school application year( in terms of getting things together for med school)? Is there a general guideline that I should be following?

3)Did you end up visiting the med schools prior to applying( especially if they were out of state)? Or do you think that is a waste of time and money?

4)I've already nearly completed my PS and was waiting for this cycle's "Personal Statement Readers" Thread to come up.
Who helped you out the most when it came to editing your PS?
Should I go ahead and attempt the secondaries( by looking at the last year 2ndary essay prompts?)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It might be a good idea to look up secondary prompts for schools you are planning to apply to. It's obviously critical that you submit your AMCAS as soon as you can, but it also is a good idea to get in those secondaries not too long after you receive them.

As for visiting med schools, I would say that it would not really be worth your time. You will get a brief tour of the school if you are lucky enough to be interviewed. There is not much to be gained from checking it out beforehand, and the adcom will not be receptive to non interviewing applicants.

As for PS readers, it was honestly my friends that helped me the most, especially the English majors and such. Ask for brutally honest feedback and be prepared for constructive criticism. While internet readers can be helpful, I personally think someone who knows you can help you significantly more.