medical school at my age

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Liana Vasquez

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I realize this topic was recently discussed but my circumstances are a little different.

I have been a nurse for 10 years, and I am 35. I could go the NP route. My reasons for considering medical school despite my age are because I want to be able to provide the best care as a provider, and I want the higher salary eventually.

I don't have kids, Honestly my life so far has revolved around caring for others. I cared for my aunt with MS, my grandparents and their diabetes and joint issues, my mom with cancer, etc. I didn't do what I wanted to do back in college because I didn't think that I could take the time or have the money for medical school.

Recently I inherited a nice sum of money, and want to put it towards school.

I don't have any loans and I graduated with highest honors,

Given my age and the time to complete this whole process, what do you think my chances are for a US medical school and if this is even a smart move?

As a nurse, I make 39/hour. I would probably start with a pre-med/post undergrad program and go from there... or is this silly?
 
There are people that are older that have gone to med school. If anything, you have many years of clinical experience.

It's honestly up to oyu. Do understand, that even if you started med school tomorrow,

that's four years of med school, three to four years of residency, etc. you're looking at being done by the age of 42-43 where you're earning a lot less than what you're earning now (negative dollars bc you cant work during med school), and even as a resident it'd be around what you are earning now.

It's not just about a pre-med/post undergrad post bacc, you have to do well on the MCAT, (I think you have sufficient clinical experience), so it'll take you quite some time...

It's up to you, but honestly, you're looking at being around your late forties by the time you're an attending. At this point, you might want to just pursue NP, make six figures and use the money you inherited towards a business or something (where you can monetize). Do your research about the business though obviously.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You would need to complete the science (biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biochemistry) and any non science prerequisites for medical school at a local college. You could probably do that in 2 years and aim for a GPA of at least 3.5. Then you take the MCAT before you apply. As long as you score 500 or higher on the MCAT you will be competitive for some DO schools and with a higher score (508) MD schools.
 
You are taking care of people now. I hope you are doing the best you can as a nurse.
So, the only reason to do medicine is for the higher salary. Please consider some economics:

Taking off four years for medical school will end up costing you $312K in lost wages and ~100-240K in out of pocket costs for tuition . (I'm not going to count the cost of living expenses during those 4 years because you'd have to pay living expenses whether or not you attend med school) . Plus the loss of whatever your inheritance could be earning if invested rather than being spent on tuition and living expenses while you are not earning money.

Then you'll have 3 years or more of residency training that will pay about $150K while you could be making $234,000 during that same 3 year period as a nurse. So that is an opportunity cost of $84K.

You will have those 7 years that you will not be saving for retirement. That's money that has the most time to grow.

I'm not saying that you should or you shouldn't but you should realize that their are opportunity costs to the decision.
 
I would go NP if I were you. I currently work as a medical assistant for a private practice with and MD and a NP and the NP sees her own patients and basically works autonomously as far as I can tell in the same way the MD does. I assume there are some logistical/legal things she has to defer to him, but it's not like she's always having to ask his opinion on things or anything. Anyways, you probably already knew about the capabilities of NPs. To me, going this route and avoiding the hell that is medical school/residency is a way better quality of life choice given you'll be in your late 40s by the time you're attending.
 
There are people that are older that have gone to med school. If anything, you have many years of clinical experience.

It's honestly up to oyu. Do understand, that even if you started med school tomorrow,

that's four years of med school, three to four years of residency, etc. you're looking at being done by the age of 42-43 where you're earning a lot less than what you're earning now (negative dollars bc you cant work during med school), and even as a resident it'd be around what you are earning now.

It's not just about a pre-med/post undergrad post bacc, you have to do well on the MCAT, (I think you have sufficient clinical experience), so it'll take you quite some time...

It's up to you, but honestly, you're looking at being around your late forties by the time you're an attending. At this point, you might want to just pursue NP, make six figures and use the money you inherited towards a business or something (where you can monetize). Do your research about the business though obviously.

NP or even PA could be a good option. PA is in between NP and MD and no residency! 🙂

The timeline could be an issue like others have mentioned but even an NP route be great. They make $$$ and have amazing benefits. Some even practice/see patients like an MD in a PCP setting. Do it OP and make us proud! 🙂
 
...and also FYI, if you have “a good sum of money” that youve inherited, you could also invest it wisely and then cash out years later. :joyful:
 
ah yes also, people are retiring later, 60 is the new 50, 50 is the new 40 etc... and with all of these medical advancements, we may all live to 100 in our lifetimes. heh
 
Just this past Saturday, NPR had a story about a former auto mechanic who graduated medical school at age 47 (yes, forty-seven)


The former Chair of the Board of Trustees for the AMA, Rebecca Patchin MD, was a nurse for 10 years and did not start medical school until 35 years of age
The former president of the AOA and current Dean of the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Karen Nichols, DO, was a lab tech and didnt start medical school until she was about 30.
The first female African American Dean of any US MD or DO school , Barbara Lee-Ross, was a teacher and single mother when she was accepted to the founding class of the Michigan DO school at age 30, She is also Diana Ross's sister

I have worked with hundreds of students in their 30s, 40s, and even 50s, who successfully apply and complete medical school

What do you mean you have worked with older students? Do you offer services in assisting people get into medical school? You are certainly are a very knowledgeable person on the subject of medical school admissions process so offering consulting services is a good idea I'm sure many could benefit from.
 
I'm a PA. I just turned 32. If you want to become a doctor, go for it. Schools will be interested in your story. My age has come up 0 times in my interviews so far. Provided you do well on the MCAT there shouldn't be an issue.

Don't worry about what anyone tells you. Who gives a damn if you'll be a 42 year old attending. You will still have 30 years in practice depending on specialty. Go for it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BTW, nontrad's and older students have become common enough there is a sitcom out it on CBS

Carol's Second Act

After raising her two children and retiring from teaching, Carol Kenney embarks on a unique second act: pursuing her dream of becoming a doctor by beginning an internship at the Loyola Memorial Hospital.

All my family members are posting the trailer on my social media accounts and are like "Look, Janet, there's a show about you! LOL!"

Nevermind that Patricia Heaton is old enough to be my mom 🙁
 
Hello,

I realize this topic was recently discussed but my circumstances are a little different.

I have been a nurse for 10 years, and I am 35. I could go the NP route. My reasons for considering medical school despite my age are because I want to be able to provide the best care as a provider, and I want the higher salary eventually.

I don't have kids, Honestly my life so far has revolved around caring for others. I cared for my aunt with MS, my grandparents and their diabetes and joint issues, my mom with cancer, etc. I didn't do what I wanted to do back in college because I didn't think that I could take the time or have the money for medical school.

Recently I inherited a nice sum of money, and want to put it towards school.

I don't have any loans and I graduated with highest honors,

Given my age and the time to complete this whole process, what do you think my chances are for a US medical school and if this is even a smart move?

As a nurse, I make 39/hour. I would probably start with a pre-med/post undergrad program and go from there... or is this silly?
I’m a fair bit older than you and I’m going for it (with three little ones to boot)! It’s not about money for me; it’s about goals.
My brother-in-law is four years older than me and he just started residency after matching to his top choice. It can definitely be done!
 
Hello,

I realize this topic was recently discussed but my circumstances are a little different.

I have been a nurse for 10 years, and I am 35. I could go the NP route. My reasons for considering medical school despite my age are because I want to be able to provide the best care as a provider, and I want the higher salary eventually.

I don't have kids, Honestly my life so far has revolved around caring for others. I cared for my aunt with MS, my grandparents and their diabetes and joint issues, my mom with cancer, etc. I didn't do what I wanted to do back in college because I didn't think that I could take the time or have the money for medical school.

Recently I inherited a nice sum of money, and want to put it towards school.

I don't have any loans and I graduated with highest honors,

Given my age and the time to complete this whole process, what do you think my chances are for a US medical school and if this is even a smart move?

As a nurse, I make 39/hour. I would probably start with a pre-med/post undergrad program and go from there... or is this silly?
It sounds like you have a pretty good life right now. What does your heart tell you?
Some of my best students have been in their 30s and 40s
 
You'll be 42 years old regardless, and eventually you'll be dead. Think hard about it from every angle and if it's something you want to do, do it now.

This was about to be my words almost exactly. Ill be early 30's when I start in 2020, and my response to those who tried to convince me otherwise has always been: "well I'm gonna be 40 either way so..."
 
I am an NP, and let me tell you from my own perspective that NPs are great clinicians, but our knowledge is superficial. We practice ‘advanced nursing practice’ and not medicine. As much as we try to justify it, we do not practice pure medicine. We never studied biochemistry, we did not study about the Kreb cycle, we did not understand in depth about pathophysiology. If you want to practice to the fullest of your potential, please go MD route. If your happy with great salary and to practice nursing, then go NP route. Money definitely can be helpful, but it cannot buy time, and time is what you need to complete medical school. I will be 33 next year., but i have seen residents at 51 years old, its never too old to follow your passion.
 
@Liana Vasquez hey OP, most people don't use their real name on here because there are a handful of current ADCOM's on here and many others that casually browse. Some of us wouldn't want things we said to be traced back to us.

Anyways, here's an interview with a dude who started med school at 37:




Here's another interview with an IMG trad-MD on the same topic (I personally really like this guy):